2024 NFL Draft discussion

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I think it's more about mismatches in today's NFL when I mentioned impact, and the Kelces and Kittles of the world are just as much of a mismatch as the top WRs.

Kansas City already chose their top TE as their preferred mismatch over that same receiver that just lead the league with 1799 yards, and I think most people agree they picked the right player in terms of importance to their offense, as well as what it allowed them to do cap wise. And similarly I think there's more rumblings of San Francisco being willing to move on from Aiyuk and very little consideration of moving on from Kittle.

And in terms of prospects, I see Bowers having a better chance of being in that elite tier of 2-3 TEs than I do Odunze being a top 5 receiver. I would put MHJ and Nabers in that tier and pick them over Bowers, though.
I agree and that's why I said they have a different impact.

Personally, I think the best TEs are most successful because they create mismatches by being good in the run game and pass game. The Kelce's, Kittle's, and Gronk's are great around the LOS as well which makes it hard for a defense to defend. They aren't one-dimensional or predictable. It's why it sucks that DET has a guy like Sam LaPorta, who fits that mold.

With Bowers, the concern will be if he is one dimensional or not. Who is to say that a CB won't be able to shut him down because he's only a threat as a pseudo WR.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I keep seeing that Chicago will be Williams' only top-30 visit. Anyone else seeing this.

Looks like the national haters are gonna have to deal with the fact that Williams is more than OK going to Chicago.

Dumpster Fire

Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Packers take Tyler Guyton if he’s there. Would be happy for the Bears to take him in a trade down scenario if Poles thinks he’s a clear upgrade over Braxton Jones.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I agree and that's why I said they have a different impact.

Personally, I think the best TEs are most successful because they create mismatches by being good in the run game and pass game. The Kelce's, Kittle's, and Gronk's are great around the LOS as well which makes it hard for a defense to defend. They aren't one-dimensional or predictable. It's why it sucks that DET has a guy like Sam LaPorta, who fits that mold.

With Bowers, the concern will be if he is one dimensional or not. Who is to say that a CB won't be able to shut him down because he's only a threat as a pseudo WR.
Because that hasn’t really happened in 3 years of college ball for him. Bowers does everything very well. That includes blocking. He has the ceiling to reach that elite status. Even though he is one of the best pass-catchers in the draft, including among the WRs, he is certainly not one-dimensional.

That said, I would have a hard time passing on Nabers or Alt if either make it to 9 ( they probably won’t).

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Because that hasn’t really happened in 3 years of college ball for him. Bowers does everything very well. That includes blocking. He has the ceiling to reach that elite status. Even though he is one of the best pass-catchers in the draft, including among the WRs, he is certainly not one-dimensional.

That said, I would have a hard time passing on Nabers or Alt if either make it to 9 ( they probably won’t).
Maybe, maybe not. I certainly don't know. But it's a topic for discussion.

""The one weakness I have on him is that the weight factor of him being 230-235ish, weight will limit his effectiveness as an in-line blocker. But, his blocking technique is so good, that he will even be able to hold himself against outside linebacker-type players. The only real area of his game that I am worried about is if you get this dude lined-up against a 260-265-pound true defensive end, yeah he might struggle a little bit just because the weight profile is a little bit further down, but maybe if he gets between 240-245 at the NFL level, maybe that's not going to be a problem at all."

"He's George Kittle. Every great thing about George Kittle, this guy has. And maybe not the total killer as a blocker yet, but I think he is going to get there. The way they use him in the screen game, his ability with the ball in his hands after the catch, the jump-ball ability."

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Maybe, maybe not. I certainly don't know. But it's a topic for discussion.

""The one weakness I have on him is that the weight factor of him being 230-235ish, weight will limit his effectiveness as an in-line blocker. But, his blocking technique is so good, that he will even be able to hold himself against outside linebacker-type players. The only real area of his game that I am worried about is if you get this dude lined-up against a 260-265-pound true defensive end, yeah he might struggle a little bit just because the weight profile is a little bit further down, but maybe if he gets between 240-245 at the NFL level, maybe that's not going to be a problem at all."

"He's George Kittle. Every great thing about George Kittle, this guy has. And maybe not the total killer as a blocker yet, but I think he is going to get there. The way they use him in the screen game, his ability with the ball in his hands after the catch, the jump-ball ability."

It’s certainly a valid topic of discussion, didn’t mean to imply otherwise. I’m a UGA homer, so I am doing my best to be objective. But I’ve also seen every game he’s played.

He is a little light, but despite that, he is a much better blocker than many guys who have 20-25 lbs on him. I have very little doubt that he will become one of the best TEs in the league.

But I also would not be upset if there was a trade-down or if Poles used the pick on someone like Verse.

monkforasia

Liked Posts:
The Bears' top 30 visits, scheduled so far, are Caleb Williams, QB, USC; Rome Odunze, WR, Washington; Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia; and Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama. All carry a top 10 grade. Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas, holds a 2nd-round grade, as does Kiran Amegadjie, OT, Yale, Nehemiah Pritchett, CB, Auburn, Elijah Jones, CB, Boston College, Cam Hart, CB, Notre Dame, and Jha’Quan Jackson, WR, Tulane, carry a day 3 grade. I don't know how you can conclude that the Bears are looking at late first-round draft prospects.
They we might utilize a pick next year to move up to the middle of the 2nd if one of the grade 2

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would put money on the fact Bowers probably plays enough in the slot and out wide that he challenges being labeled a TE for franchise tag purposes and wins.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I would put money on the fact Bowers probably plays enough in the slot and out wide that he challenges being labeled a TE for franchise tag purposes and wins.
Certainly is possible. He has lined up all over the line. One of the reasons he is considered to be such a dangerous weapon.

BearDown88

Liked Posts:
I really don’t think we can pass on Rome or Nabers over Turner. I love Turner and Verse even more if he wasn’t 24, but at the end of the day. There are really only three positions in football that are ever considered for the first overall pick. QB, LT and Pass Rushers, not WRs.

That right there tells me that these WRs are a tier above Turner and Verse. There is no such thing as a can’t miss prospect, but anytime it’s a pass rusher. They never fall out of the top 5. These 3 WRs are as close as you’ll get to can’t miss. Look at any other draft in the last 10 years and insert them and they probably don’t fall to 9.

Maybe you think that good WRs are found outside the top 10 all of the time. True, but on average 13 WRs go in the first two rounds of any recent draft. It’s easy to remember the hits and forget the misses. It has to be the most drafted position in football.

Then go and look at the top pass rushers in the league. I was looking at it weeks ago and I’m pretty sure it’s mostly top 5 picks with TJ Watt and Maxx Crosby. If this was really a question between drafting a WR and DE at 9. I really don’t think it would be a question. Good GMs take best available>position if need always.

Side note: they won’t be tackling at all in 5 years anyways.

Canth

Liked Posts:
As an aside, I sometimes just have to laugh when you read the draft profiles on guys. You ready the strengths and you think 'this guy is great' then they list the weaknesses and half of them are polar opposites of the strengths and reads like the guy can't play at all. And it's like...which is it?

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
At 9 I am no longer worried about balancing team needs and best player available for offense or defense. Build an offense that stresses the defense at all levels and all areas.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
As an aside, I sometimes just have to laugh when you read the draft profiles on guys. You ready the strengths and you think 'this guy is great' then they list the weaknesses and half of them are polar opposites of the strengths and reads like the guy can't play at all. And it's like...which is it?
Notice a ton of this too.

Strengths:
  • His long arms allow him to play bigger than his size, and he has a frame that can carry a little more weight.
Weaknesses:
  • Frame limits upside as a blocker.
This is for someone who measured at combine as a 6'6 258 lb. Tight end...

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I really don’t think we can pass on Rome or Nabers over Turner. I love Turner and Verse even more if he wasn’t 24, but at the end of the day. There are really only three positions in football that are ever considered for the first overall pick. QB, LT and Pass Rushers, not WRs.

That right there tells me that these WRs are a tier above Turner and Verse. There is no such thing as a can’t miss prospect, but anytime it’s a pass rusher. They never fall out of the top 5. These 3 WRs are as close as you’ll get to can’t miss. Look at any other draft in the last 10 years and insert them and they probably don’t fall to 9.

Maybe you think that good WRs are found outside the top 10 all of the time. True, but on average 13 WRs go in the first two rounds of any recent draft. It’s easy to remember the hits and forget the misses. It has to be the most drafted position in football.

Then go and look at the top pass rushers in the league. I was looking at it weeks ago and I’m pretty sure it’s mostly top 5 picks with TJ Watt and Maxx Crosby. If this was really a question between drafting a WR and DE at 9. I really don’t think it would be a question. Good GMs take best available>position if need always.

Side note: they won’t be tackling at all in 5 years anyways.
I feel the opposite. I guess it depends on how much you like Turner or Verse but I'm taking the pass rusher over the receiver.

To me it's a supply and demand issue; and I don't just mean this draft. I mean in general. The supply of receivers seems to be higher than the supply of pass rushers coming into the league.

We're in position to get a top ten pass rushing prospect that I hope we're too good to be in position for in the future. Whereas you don't need a top ten pick to get a top WR talent.