2024 NFL Draft discussion

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel the opposite. I guess it depends on how much you like Turner or Verse but I'm taking the pass rusher over the receiver.

To me it's a supply and demand issue; and I don't just mean this draft. I mean in general. The supply of receivers seems to be higher than the supply of pass rushers coming into the league.

We're in position to get a top ten pass rushing prospect that I hope we're too good to be in position for in the future. Whereas you don't need a top ten pick to get a top WR talent.
I will say it's a VERY deep year at WR. Wish we had a 2nd. I'd be okay going DE/LT if the top three WR are gone, even trading back a few spots. I do worry that by the time we get to 75 the WRs will be thin, but I've seen Pearsall at 75 a lot and I'd love to get him there. The one mock I did was

Caleb QB at 1
Alt LT at 9
Pearsall WR at 75
KWashington WR at 122

BearDown88

Liked Posts:
I feel the opposite. I guess it depends on how much you like Turner or Verse but I'm taking the pass rusher over the receiver.

To me it's a supply and demand issue; and I don't just mean this draft. I mean in general. The supply of receivers seems to be higher than the supply of pass rushers coming into the league.

We're in position to get a top ten pass rushing prospect that I hope we're too good to be in position for in the future. Whereas you don't need a top ten pick to get a top WR talent.
You aren’t wrong. I read and article last year that basically took every NFL player and if they started more than half the games of their career they got a pass. If not it was a fail. They then went round by round position by position and showed the percentage of finding a starter in that specific round.

OL was by far the highest. Like 80% in the first round and super high comparatively in the later rounds. Defensive line was by far the worst with only a 50% shot of finding a starter in the 1st round. That reason alone was why I wanted Jalen Carter so badly last year at 9.

I don’t trust this organization to draft a WR just yet. I’m just bullshiting numbers now but it seems like Rome and Nabers might have a 80 chance of being perennial pro bowlers while Turner might only have 30% shot even though he’ll most likely be a good-great player. I value pass rusher way over WR. I’d just rather have the “sure-thing” between the two.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
At #9… an OT or a DE or a DT will have far more impact than a WR3 or a TE3. Having said that it wouldn't hurt to get Rome Odunze or Bowers.

But my first choice would be Alt or Turner or Verse..
Debatable how much impact an OT will have in year 1.

It just seems like WR talent has become scary expensive, so if a Nabers or Odunze is at 9 it is tough to pass on that.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Personally, I still lean towards going WR at 1.09 assuming of the 3 top WR is available. I really do think they would be BPA and it ensures you have depth to your weapons on offense to help develop your new QB1.

The Bears already effectively spent their 2nd round pick this year on Sweat. So, it's not like they are ignoring the defense. I agree more DL help would be nice as well, but I think the value is higher for offense at 1.09.

Canth

Liked Posts:

Some good stuff about CW starts at 42 minutes in

Yeah, I watched that the other day. It was good discussion for all the QB's. I thought it was interesting how much O'Sullivan mentioned how often Maye will throw what should be a lay-up ball into the dirt.

Then you contrast that to Nate Tice when he was on the Hoge and Jahn's show the other day and he still has Maye as his 1A and Williams as his 1B.

Canth

Liked Posts:
And here is that Hoge and Jahn's episode:

Dumpster Fire

Liked Posts:
The one part that gave me pause was JT O’Sullivan’s clear disdain for the Bears coaching staff. He was clear that Caleb is by far the most promising QB but the Bears organization is not the situation he would want for Caleb.

I feel pretty good about our GM (and the horseshoe hidden in his ass). Our roster seems to be steadily improving. I feel great with how the offensive skill positions look right now, even before the #9 pick is made. I hope Flus + Waldron + Caleb = sustained success for many seasons to come. Who knows though.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

Some good stuff about CW starts at 42 minutes in
Somebody on the NFL Draft Reddit broke down the Williams part.

Williams:

• Special in so many ways, playmaking ability, off-platform throws, arm angles, jump throws and still gets the completions
  • Played hero-ball more at USC than OU, didn't have as much surrounding talent at USC
  • Can make every throw off all platforms
  • Thinks he will be good immediately and is even underrated
  • Can play in-structure too
  • Thinks he will have some organizational hurdles to overcome but has the best chance in this class to do so
  • Great at resetting in the pocket
  • They discuss how Caleb's long time-to-throw isn't necessarily him holding onto ball too long or being indecisive/slow processor, but how good he is at navigating pocket to extend plays, even helps his OLine
  • Has to improve ball security, looser with the ball than other QBs in the class
  • Thinks he's a great processor but always hard to be sure
The rest can be found here.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I watched that the other day. It was good discussion for all the QB's. I thought it was interesting how much O'Sullivan mentioned how often Maye will throw what should be a lay-up ball into the dirt.

Then you contrast that to Nate Tice when he was on the Hoge and Jahn's show the other day and he still has Maye as his 1A and Williams as his 1B.

Yeah the Maye part was definitely interesting

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Yeah the Maye part was definitely interesting
Yup. He basically said the same thing me and a couple other guys have been saying for months: he just chucks bricks! It makes no sense at all. None. He hypothesized that maybe it’s the footwork.

I just plain don’t know. Maybe he lacks grip strength? I don’t fucking know, but shit makes no kind of sense why he throws some of those balls the way he does.

Canth

Liked Posts:
The one part that gave me pause was JT O’Sullivan’s clear disdain for the Bears coaching staff. He was clear that Caleb is by far the most promising QB but the Bears organization is not the situation he would want for Caleb.

I feel pretty good about our GM (and the horseshoe hidden in his ass). Our roster seems to be steadily improving. I feel great with how the offensive skill positions look right now, even before the #9 pick is made. I hope Flus + Waldron + Caleb = sustained success for many seasons to come. Who knows though.

I don't remember it being disdain for the coaching staff but rather just the organization and history of QB's in Chicago. But, I could easily be misremembering that.

And really, until someone proves otherwise, it's legit. We hope that Poles and company can finally do it and with Williams. But, only time will tell.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yup. He basically said the same thing me and a couple other guys have been saying for months: he just chucks bricks! It makes no sense at all. None. He hypothesized that maybe it’s the footwork.

I just plain don’t know. Maybe he lacks grip strength? I don’t fucking know, but shit makes no kind of sense why he throws some of those balls the way he does.
I laughed when he called those throws “Tebowing it”

Dhipur

Liked Posts:
If they don't trade down or up.. I wouldn't mind this draft

#1 Caleb Williams, QB, USC
#9 Dallas Turner, Edge, Alabama
#75 Maason Smith, DL, LSU
#122 Zak Zinter, IOL, Michigan

Yes.. it leaves out WR 3 but it addresses core issues on both the lines and sets up the team for success..

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
If they don't trade down or up.. I wouldn't mind this draft

#1 Caleb Williams, QB, USC
#9 Dallas Turner, Edge, Alabama
#75 Maason Smith, DL, LSU
#122 Zak Zinter, IOL, Michigan

Yes.. it leaves out WR 3 but it addresses core issues on both the lines and sets up the team for success..
Assuming this team could be a contender bu next season, do think it’s more beneficial in the long run to get a WR here sooner for a rookie QB’s development or get a DE in here sooner?

Canth

Liked Posts:
Going back to the Hoge and Jahns podcast, the philosophical discussion of #9 started around the 25ish min mark.

One of the interesting comments Nate Tice had in that Hoge and Jahns podcast was that he did not think that Turner was a good fit for Eberflus's defense - the Jahns question on Turner or Verse started at 28:30ish. And Tice has Verse more as a late teens value.

He also talked about how Odunze is just a better fit with Moore and Allen and how they would be able to be on the field together. He started talking about Odunze more at 30:30 mark in that vid.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't remember it being disdain for the coaching staff but rather just the organization and history of QB's in Chicago. But, I could easily be misremembering that.

And really, until someone proves otherwise, it's legit. We hope that Poles and company can finally do it and with Williams. But, only time will tell.
It’s absolutely not legit. It’s lazy journalism and it’s ridiculous.

This front office and this coaching staff has not been in Chicago for years. What happened in 1970 or 1995 has absolutely nothing to do with the people who are there now. It’s absolutely idiotic to think that because two people wore the same uniform and stunk, everyone else who wears that same uniform will stink.

That’s ridiculous to say the least.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

This video is great.

napo55

Liked Posts:
If the Bears opt for a DE over a WR at pick 9, there is a good possibility of trading down with Denver at 12 or Vegas at 13 if there is a QB or other player they want to move up for. One or more of the three elite DEs should be available at 12 or 13.

It would probably give the Bears an additional third round pick, 76 from Denver or 77 from Vegas. The.y could use one of their two thirds to draft a WR from the deep WR class and the second for interior O line or DT. and they would stll have their 4th for whatever is needed.

ndgt10

Liked Posts:
If the Bears opt for a DE over a WR at pick 9, there is a good possibility of trading down with Denver at 12 or Vegas at 13 if there is a QB or other player they want to move up for. One or more of the three elite DEs should be available at 12 or 13.

It would probably give the Bears an additional third round pick, 76 from Denver or 77 from Vegas. The.y could use one of their two thirds to draft a WR from the deep WR class and the second for interior O line or DT. and they would stll have their 4th for whatever is needed.
Why trade with the Bears when there is 0 chance we take a QB? Are teams worried the Jets will take one?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Why trade with the Bears when there is 0 chance we take a QB? Are teams worried the Jets will take one?
If the Raiders & Broncos want the same guy, it makes sense for whichever team to do what they can to make sure they get him.