2024 NFL Draft discussion

Luke

Liked Posts:
Works for me but I could also see a trade down if the feel comparable will be there. Will depend on their board and how the draft falls. It will come down to things like whether you feel there is a clear difference of projection between players like Odunze and Thomas or Turner and Verse etc and we know all these boards will differ.

There will be an OC drooling about what they can do with Bowers creating mismatches, especially in a hurry up O.

It really all depends on what Poles board looks like right?
JMO, but I think that Odunze/Turner would be in a higher tier than Thomas/Verse and assume that Poles won't pass on the higher
graded player. Would be happy with either Odunze or Turner.

BudMan69420

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Only fools draft TEs in the first round. I don't believe Poles is a fool.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It really all depends on what Poles board looks like right?
JMO, but I think that Odunze/Turner would be in a higher tier than Thomas/Verse and assume that Poles won't pass on the higher
graded player. Would be happy with either Odunze or Turner.
I don't disagree by they can also get devalued for what they don't do especially well. Odunze with crispness and Turner getting washed on runs. Things that will be more noticeable at the next level but you also can't teach that size/body control at WR or twitch at DE. Not glaring issues by any means but lots will have to do with how a staff feels they can get coached up or fit a scheme. If Flus tells Turner to just turn on the jets and penetrate whenever he's on the field, it could be special. Same with Odunze outside and 50/50 balls.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Maurice Jones Drew’s top ten…. Bold but awesome for the Bears…

1712328933078.jpeg
Bucky Brooks thinks the best fit for the Bears and the player would be Odunze in Chicago.

Last edited:

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I think DE because the adjustment time for DL takes longer. I think a rookie WR could come in in 2025 and make an impact right away.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I think its the opposite actually.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
The Athletic WR review for projected Round 1 - 4 WRs:

At this point not much more needs to be said about MHJ/Nabers/Odunze beyond "theyre really fucking good" but good stuff on the round 3-4 guys which if Chicago goes DL in round 1 have a good chance of being drafted by the Bears.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they don't trade down or up.. I wouldn't mind this draft

#1 Caleb Williams, QB, USC
#9 Dallas Turner, Edge, Alabama
#75 Maason Smith, DL, LSU
#122 Zak Zinter, IOL, Michigan

Yes.. it leaves out WR 3 but it addresses core issues on both the lines and sets up the team for success..
I'd prefer

#1 Caleb
#9 Turner
#75 Pearsall
#122 KWashington

Though we may need a Center too. I'd be okay with Zinter at #122. I love Pearsall at #75.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I do agree, but what about Kmet? How would that shake out?
Let the best man win. They play two different positions, Bowers much more likely to being a better weapon than Kmet.

Would you consider Kmet at the slot, X or as a running back?

Bowers can be played at all of those positions as well as where Kmet plays, as he showed in college.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I agree and that's why I said they have a different impact.

Personally, I think the best TEs are most successful because they create mismatches by being good in the run game and pass game. The Kelce's, Kittle's, and Gronk's are great around the LOS as well which makes it hard for a defense to defend. They aren't one-dimensional or predictable. It's why it sucks that DET has a guy like Sam LaPorta, who fits that mold.

With Bowers, the concern will be if he is one dimensional or not. Who is to say that a CB won't be able to shut him down because he's only a threat as a pseudo WR.
Go watch Bowers tape against the SEC. He was effective all over the field, not just at TE.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Maybe, maybe not. I certainly don't know. But it's a topic for discussion.

""The one weakness I have on him is that the weight factor of him being 230-235ish, weight will limit his effectiveness as an in-line blocker. But, his blocking technique is so good, that he will even be able to hold himself against outside linebacker-type players. The only real area of his game that I am worried about is if you get this dude lined-up against a 260-265-pound true defensive end, yeah he might struggle a little bit just because the weight profile is a little bit further down, but maybe if he gets between 240-245 at the NFL level, maybe that's not going to be a problem at all."

"He's George Kittle. Every great thing about George Kittle, this guy has. And maybe not the total killer as a blocker yet, but I think he is going to get there. The way they use him in the screen game, his ability with the ball in his hands after the catch, the jump-ball ability."

I think people have talked themselves out of drafting Bowers early which is a big mistake. He has been TE1 for the past 3 years and showed out more like a Weapon than a TE.

People blindly use the 'just a TE' with him and are very wrong.

Quik_7_Devin

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
With AZ having so many picks (could get even more if they trade down from 4) , including 3 in the third round, I wonder if they would punt one into next year, and if Bears would be interested? Bears send their own future 2nd (holding on to the CAR pick) for #66 overall.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I really don’t think we can pass on Rome or Nabers over Turner. I love Turner and Verse even more if he wasn’t 24, but at the end of the day. There are really only three positions in football that are ever considered for the first overall pick. QB, LT and Pass Rushers, not WRs.

That right there tells me that these WRs are a tier above Turner and Verse. There is no such thing as a can’t miss prospect, but anytime it’s a pass rusher. They never fall out of the top 5. These 3 WRs are as close as you’ll get to can’t miss. Look at any other draft in the last 10 years and insert them and they probably don’t fall to 9.

Maybe you think that good WRs are found outside the top 10 all of the time. True, but on average 13 WRs go in the first two rounds of any recent draft. It’s easy to remember the hits and forget the misses. It has to be the most drafted position in football.

Then go and look at the top pass rushers in the league. I was looking at it weeks ago and I’m pretty sure it’s mostly top 5 picks with TJ Watt and Maxx Crosby. If this was really a question between drafting a WR and DE at 9. I really don’t think it would be a question. Good GMs take best available>position if need always.

Side note: they won’t be tackling at all in 5 years anyways.
Wait, Crosby was a 4th rounder.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Notice a ton of this too.

Strengths:
  • His long arms allow him to play bigger than his size, and he has a frame that can carry a little more weight.
Weaknesses:
  • Frame limits upside as a blocker.
This is for someone who measured at combine as a 6'6 258 lb. Tight end...
That reminds me of when I would create a Bears line of 7 foot 400 pound offensive linemen who could run a 4.5 40 in Madden.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I feel the opposite. I guess it depends on how much you like Turner or Verse but I'm taking the pass rusher over the receiver.

To me it's a supply and demand issue; and I don't just mean this draft. I mean in general. The supply of receivers seems to be higher than the supply of pass rushers coming into the league.

We're in position to get a top ten pass rushing prospect that I hope we're too good to be in position for in the future. Whereas you don't need a top ten pick to get a top WR talent.
To me, it all depends on the Bears big board.

If Odunze and Turner are both available at 9 and the Bears have the same ranking on both, the need is bigger at DE so they should take Turner.

If both are available but the Bears Big Board shows Odunze head and shoulders above Turner, they should take Odunze.

Don't reach to fill a need and miss out on a blue chip player, if that is what the BBB shows is the case.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Why trade with the Bears when there is 0 chance we take a QB? Are teams worried the Jets will take one?
You really don't know?

Have you ever considered that, with several teams looking for a QB at or around 12, there is a good chance of one or more of those teams jumping up to get their QB before another team trades up and drafts him before them?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Understood. But why not trade with the Jets instead?
Let's use that situation.

Let's say that both love Penix.

The Raiders jump up to get him at 10. What will the Raiders do at 10 when the Broncos trade with the Bears and draft Penix?

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:

Short video comparison between Fautanu and Alt - TLDR Alts clearly the best OT in the class even if he does need to perfect his technique and work on consistently applying it.