2024 NFL Draft discussion

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Murphy would be great in a trade back. He'd probably add more to the D than any of the edge rushers.

Josh Lucas is a dufus. He said his favorite round of the draft is round 5. Dumb dumb

Just for comparison Wright ended last year 19th on the consensus big board compiled by NFLmockdraftdatabase. Murphy is currently at 17. Think everyone saying he would be great in a trade back is being effected by the mocks IMO.

LOL at that Lucas comment.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Just for comparison Wright ended last year 19th on the consensus big board compiled by NFLmockdraftdatabase. Murphy is currently at 17. Think everyone saying he would be great in a trade back is being effected by the mocks IMO.

LOL at that Lucas comment.
I dont mean trade back to 20, but I think they could reasonably trade back to 13 or 14 and get him. Even if they didn’t there'd be a ton of guys available that I like a lot still.

Canth

Liked Posts:
The vast majority of people in the NFL have failed before. The reality is Pace still has a job in Atl and they have built a pretty good team. Succeeding in the NFL is hard. Rare you are going to never see failure or setbacks.

Thought Pace screwed up a lot and was glad to see him go but if he had selected Mahomes he is probably a legend in Chicago. So often times the line between success and failure comes down to one decision or mistake.

Everyone makes mistakes. But, some mistakes are bigger than others. I would say it's more than a fine line when you trade up one spot to take Trubisky over both Watson and Mahomes. That means you had him so far above the other 2 that you could not possibly stand to miss getting him. They had to have believed that Trubisky was completely head and shoulders above both those guys. That is truly shitty evaluation skills.

I don't want to rag on Fields as I really hope he still turns it around and finds success in the NFL.

But, right now, it sure as hell looks like Pace and his front office missed not once, but twice at QB and paid big in trade ups to do so. So, I would not trust Pace or any of his former front office people when it comes to evaluating a QB for damn sure. Considering how often they missed on their trade-ups for their guys they had 'conviction' on, I would not trust them on anything like that either.

Pace did his best work on Day 3 in the draft and he had to so he could make up for how badly he generally messed up on Day 1 and 2.

Anyway, enough on the past, I won't keep going on that shit.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I dont mean trade back to 20, but I think they could reasonably trade back to 13 or 14 and get him. Even if they didn’t there'd be a ton of guys available that I like a lot still.

No clue. All I know is I think they go with a line guy. Not buying the WR talk.

Would love a trade back if possible though

napo55

Liked Posts:
Sorry, but you missed the key point.

It does not matter where you rate a player like Murphy. It does not matter where I rate a player like Murphy. It does not matter where the media rates a player like Murphy. It does not matter where 31 teams rate a player like Murphy. It only matter where the Bears rate a player like Murphy.

It the Bears rate Murphy in their top 10, picking him at 9 is wise because he is not only one of their BPA players but at a position of need.

If the Bears rate Murphy at 20 yet they draft him at 9, it was a huge reach and was only done to fill perceived needs.

Sadly, some teams do draft players because of need, over-drafting them quite often.

Now, I do not believe that Poles has shown this terrible trait.
Velus Jones in the third round?

Canth

Liked Posts:
Murphy would be great in a trade back. He'd probably add more to the D than any of the edge rushers.

Josh Lucas is a dufus. He said his favorite round of the draft is round 5. Dumb dumb

Ok, I lied. One more comment on history. Lucas's favorite round is round 5 probably because that is where they found the most success, especially relative to draft position.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I don't really listen to Wannstedt either. But, I can more understand how he gets air time as he was a head coach for 11 years between CHI and MIA, there were 6 winning seasons between the 2 teams, and he won a couple of playoff games. He was also the DC for the first Superbowl with Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys. Overall, he never worked out as a HC...but the man did have more than 1 good season. So, while I don't really watch the shows he is on, I can understand how he gets the airtime.
I think that @BaBaBlacksheep had it right, Lucas was a man who was in the rooms when players were drafted and decisions were made. It is not so much that he was great at his job but rather that he got to experience things none of us ever would and, because of that, he knows the inner workings of the draft process and has some of the stories about past experiences.

That is why I enjoy listening to Greg Gabriel. No matter what people say about him, he was an integral part of two successful teams in the Giants and the Bears (successful at the time). He not only knew how the Bears front office worked at the time but he also has a plethora of stories to share about the Giants and the Bears.

People shit on him for being an idiot on Twitter but fail to understand that he is an old man who can easily be riled up by people who pick on him, a staple of the online community.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
If a player is the team's #9 prospect, that team drafting him at 9 is fine.

If a player is a team's 12th prospect and he is drafted at 9, it is ok because the team might have felt that he might not be available at 12 if they traded down.

However; if a player is a team's #42 prospect, it is a crime to not having moved down and gotten valuable draft capital while giving themselves a chance at that same player say down at pick #30, almost half a round before he should go.
That wouldn’t be a smart move to our eyes. It if they do that weird ass move, that’s still fine for them. And who cares about anyone else’s opinion. No matter how anyone sees it.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
No clue. All I know is I think they go with a line guy. Not buying the WR talk.

Would love a trade back if possible though
I saw someone (maybe field yates) claim bears are in good position for a trade back. Hopefully he's correct. There's probably about a dozen guys I'd be fine with them taking between 9-20, so unless nabers or alt is there at 9, I'm okay trading back

Canth

Liked Posts:
Sorry, but you missed the key point.

It does not matter where you rate a player like Murphy. It does not matter where I rate a player like Murphy. It does not matter where the media rates a player like Murphy. It does not matter where 31 teams rate a player like Murphy. It only matter where the Bears rate a player like Murphy.

It the Bears rate Murphy in their top 10, picking him at 9 is wise because he is not only one of their BPA players but at a position of need.

If the Bears rate Murphy at 20 yet they draft him at 9, it was a huge reach and was only done to fill perceived needs.

Sadly, some teams do draft players because of need, over-drafting them quite often.

Now, I do not believe that Poles has shown this terrible trait.

This strikes me as one of those only time will tell deals. If you take a guy in the top 10 when everyone else had him as a significantly lower value, then you look like a genius if it works and idiot when it doesn't. IMO, it's a lot more common to end up looking like an idiot in that kind of situation.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
No shit. I literally have no clue what your point is. Sorry
My point, some teams over-draft players and some don't.

If the Bears draft their 20th best player at 9, they over-drafted.

You yourself made that question with something like, "why would the Bears do that. It makes zero sense".

The answer is that some GMs do not go by BPA, but rather for need.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
This strikes me as one of those only time will tell deals. If you take a guy in the top 10 when everyone else had him as a significantly lower value, then you look like a genius if it works and idiot when it doesn't. IMO, it's a lot more common to end up looking like an idiot in that kind of situation.
True because those of us not in the know about a team's big board will think he was over-drafted when, in truth, he was drafted correctly by a team's big board. Now that GM, if he still has his job, needs to work on his big board better.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
That wouldn’t be a smart move to our eyes. It if they do that weird ass move, that’s still fine for them. And who cares about anyone else’s opinion. No matter how anyone sees it.
Absolutely.

I remember a couple of years ago, the Patriots drafted an OG in the 1st round who was rated by us as a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

The Patriots had him high on their big board and drafted him. Let them live with the results of how they rated their big board, not where we thought he should be drafted.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Everyone makes mistakes. But, some mistakes are bigger than others. I would say it's more than a fine line when you trade up one spot to take Trubisky over both Watson and Mahomes. That means you had him so far above the other 2 that you could not possibly stand to miss getting him. They had to have believed that Trubisky was completely head and shoulders above both those guys. That is truly shitty evaluation skills.

I don't want to rag on Fields as I really hope he still turns it around and finds success in the NFL.

But, right now, it sure as hell looks like Pace and his front office missed not once, but twice at QB and paid big in trade ups to do so. So, I would not trust Pace or any of his former front office people when it comes to evaluating a QB for damn sure. Considering how often they missed on their trade-ups for their guys they had 'conviction' on, I would not trust them on anything like that either.

Pace did his best work on Day 3 in the draft and he had to so he could make up for how badly he generally messed up on Day 1 and 2.

Anyway, enough on the past, I won't keep going on that shit.
By this logic, should fire everyone who thought Brady and Purdy were only worth 6 and 7th round picks. Imagine how bad your evaluation skills have to be to have them so low.

Last edited:

napo55

Liked Posts:
Hopefully, Poles learned his lesson.

When you have a group of players to draft in day 2 or later, do not let your QB1 make the pick.
So it's not really Poles'fault? It's Justin Fields? Of course, that's the ticket..

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
So it's not really Poles'fault? It's Justin Fields? Of course, that's the ticket..
Are you trying to be an asshat?

It was what happened. Poles asked Fields who he liked from a short list of possible 3rd rounders and Fields chose Velus.

Poles had the blame of creating the list and the players on it. Fields had the blame of choosing Velus from that list.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
My point, some teams over-draft players and some don't.

If the Bears draft their 20th best player at 9, they over-drafted.

You yourself made that question with something like, "why would the Bears do that. It makes zero sense".

The answer is that some GMs do not go by BPA, but rather for need.
You're suggesting that the Bears, like every team, spends all this time ranking players, then at #9 drafts a player that they themselves have ranked #20???

That makes no sense.

They spend months ranking players and ignore all the work they did?