2024 NFL Draft discussion

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yuck at 9 overall
Seen it several places all of a sudden now. That guy who worked with Pace was on with Hoge and had him as the 3rd best player in the entire draft.

(I’m not endorsing or shitting on it….. Just relating what I’m reading)

Canth

Liked Posts:
Seen it several places all of a sudden now. That guy who worked with Pace was on with Hoge and had him as the 3rd best player in the entire draft.

(I’m not endorsing or shitting on it….. Just relating what I’m reading)

Josh Lucas? I saw it pop up on my youtube but have not watched it yet. Honestly, not sure I will bother because...Josh Lucas. I have no idea why all of a sudden this guy is getting air time.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Doesn’t really matter what # they go at. If a teams thinks their are valuable to get them at whatever # they think is fine for them, then that’s fine. Sometimes it’s needs over wants for some teams. Sometimes it the other way. Some think a projected #42 pick is their #12 pick overall. Nothing wrong with it.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Josh Lucas? I saw it pop up on my youtube but have not watched it yet. Honestly, not sure I will bother because...Josh Lucas. I have no idea why all of a sudden this guy is getting air time.

You don’t understand why a guy who was high up in the Bears front office gets airtime?

Canth

Liked Posts:
You don’t understand why a guy who was high up in the Bears front office gets airtime?

Honestly? Kinda yeah. I mean, yes, I know he was high up in the Bears front office under Pace. So what? Ultimately, that front office was a failure. So, why would I listen to the evaluations of a guy who was bad at the job? They missed on multiple high end up picks, often trading up to make those misses, and handed out several bad contracts.

This guy isn't some Bears legend that was integral in building a team with playoff wins let alone even sniff a Superbowl. Lucas was a guy that was part of a front office that had a single winning season in 7 years. So really, why give him any airtime? Just to find out what the fuck not to do?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Honestly? Kinda yeah. I mean, yes, I know he was high up in the Bears front office under Pace. So what? Ultimately, that front office was a failure. So, why would I listen to the evaluations of a guy who was bad at the job? They missed on multiple high end up picks, often trading up to make those misses, and handed out several bad contracts.

This guy isn't some Bears legend that was integral in building a team with playoff wins let alone even sniff a Superbowl. Lucas was a guy that was part of a front office that had a single winning season in 7 years. So really, why give him any airtime? Just to find out what the fuck not to do?

There’s bad GM’s, players, coaches and scouts all over the media. You think they only hire HOFers or something?

At the end of the day a guy like Lucas was in Halas Hall making decisions so he has insights none of us ever will have. I for one find it extremely interesting. Now that doesn’t mean I take his opinions as gospel….. but it’s definitely insight into the process.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The vast majority of people in the NFL have failed before. The reality is Pace still has a job in Atl and they have built a pretty good team. Succeeding in the NFL is hard. Rare you are going to never see failure or setbacks.

Thought Pace screwed up a lot and was glad to see him go but if he had selected Mahomes he is probably a legend in Chicago. So often times the line between success and failure comes down to one decision or mistake.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The same reason Dave Wannstad gets air time in Chicago, a failed ______ who now gets air time in Chicago as an expert.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He would be fine after a trade down but a reach at 9.
Meh, that’s not a reach. He’s a unanimous first round pick on every mock I’ve seen for months. Just because the media has a guy in the teens or twenties doesn’t mean they’re right.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Doesn’t really matter what # they go at. If a teams thinks their are valuable to get them at whatever # they think is fine for them, then that’s fine. Sometimes it’s needs over wants for some teams. Sometimes it the other way. Some think a projected #42 pick is their #12 pick overall. Nothing wrong with it.
If a player is the team's #9 prospect, that team drafting him at 9 is fine.

If a player is a team's 12th prospect and he is drafted at 9, it is ok because the team might have felt that he might not be available at 12 if they traded down.

However; if a player is a team's #42 prospect, it is a crime to not having moved down and gotten valuable draft capital while giving themselves a chance at that same player say down at pick #30, almost half a round before he should go.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Meh, that’s not a reach. He’s a unanimous first round pick on every mock I’ve seen for months. Just because the media has a guy in the teens or twenties doesn’t mean they’re right.
It all depends on a team's big board.

If he is the 20th best player on, say, the Bears board, it IS a reach if they get him at 9. It would mean that the Bears had 11 players who were better than him on their draft board and overreached by more than the amount of picks that were taken up to then. It could mean that the Bears passed on 11 players who they thought were better than their 20th rated player which is not a wise use of high end draft capital.

Over-drafting 12 picks in the 4th round, ok.

Over-drafting 12 picks when only 8 have been drafted is way too much.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It all depends on a team's big board.

If he is the 20th best player on, say, the Bears board, it IS a reach if they get him at 9. It would mean that the Bears had 11 players who were better than him on their draft board and overreached by more than the amount of picks that were taken up to then. It could mean that the Bears passed on 11 players who they thought were better than their 20th rated player which is not a wise use of high end draft capital.

Over-drafting 12 picks in the 4th round, ok.

Over-drafting 12 picks when only 8 have been drafted is way too much.

Why would they draft him at 9 if he was the 20th player on their board? That makes zero sense.

Canth

Liked Posts:
There’s bad GM’s, players, coaches and scouts all over the media. You think they only hire HOFers or something?

At the end of the day a guy like Lucas was in Halas Hall making decisions so he has insights none of us ever will have. I for one find it extremely interesting. Now that doesn’t mean I take his opinions as gospel….. but it’s definitely insight into the process.

I don't expect them only hire HoFers. Normally you try to find a guy that at least had more than 1 good season. Barring that, you find a guy that is at least well spoken and/or looks the part. I don't know, Lucas just rubs me the wrong way.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't expect them only hire HoFers. Normally you try to find a guy that at least had more than 1 good season. Barring that, you find a guy that is at least well spoken and/or looks the part. I don't know, Lucas just rubs me the wrong way.

It’s because he sounds like he’s drunk. 😂

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Why would they draft him at 9 if he was the 20th player on their board? That makes zero sense.
Sorry, but you missed the key point.

It does not matter where you rate a player like Murphy. It does not matter where I rate a player like Murphy. It does not matter where the media rates a player like Murphy. It does not matter where 31 teams rate a player like Murphy. It only matter where the Bears rate a player like Murphy.

It the Bears rate Murphy in their top 10, picking him at 9 is wise because he is not only one of their BPA players but at a position of need.

If the Bears rate Murphy at 20 yet they draft him at 9, it was a huge reach and was only done to fill perceived needs.

Sadly, some teams do draft players because of need, over-drafting them quite often.

Now, I do not believe that Poles has shown this terrible trait.

Canth

Liked Posts:
The same reason Dave Wannstad gets air time in Chicago, a failed ______ who now gets air time in Chicago as an expert.

Yeah, I don't really listen to Wannstedt either. But, I can more understand how he gets air time as he was a head coach for 11 years between CHI and MIA, there were 6 winning seasons between the 2 teams, and he won a couple of playoff games. He was also the DC for the first Superbowl with Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys. Overall, he never worked out as a HC...but the man did have more than 1 good season. So, while I don't really watch the shows he is on, I can understand how he gets the airtime.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Sorry, but you missed the key point.

It does not matter where you rate a player like Murphy. It does not matter where I rate a player like Murphy. It does not matter where the media rates a player like Murphy. It does not matter where 31 teams rate a player like Murphy. It only matter where the Bears rate a player like Murphy.

It the Bears rate Murphy in their top 10, picking him at 9 is wise because he is not only one of their BPA players but at a position of need.

If the Bears rate Murphy at 20 yet they draft him at 9, it was a huge reach and was only done to fill perceived needs.

Sadly, some teams do draft players because of need, over-drafting them quite often.

Now, I do not believe that Poles has shown this terrible trait.

No shit. I literally have no clue what your point is. Sorry

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Murphy would be great in a trade back. He'd probably add more to the D than any of the edge rushers.

Josh Lucas is a dufus. He said his favorite round of the draft is round 5. Dumb dumb