2024 NFL Draft discussion

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Absolutely.

I remember a couple of years ago, the Patriots drafted an OG in the 1st round who was rated by us as a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

The Patriots had him high on their big board and drafted him. Let them live with the results of how they rated their big board, not where we thought he should be drafted.
Good example. And if Poles drafts someone way earlier than what he was projected, I’m fine with that. He’s the one running the show. As long as he has that GM position, he can do as he pleases.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Seen it several places all of a sudden now. That guy who worked with Pace was on with Hoge and had him as the 3rd best player in the entire draft.

(I’m not endorsing or shitting on it….. Just relating what I’m reading)

I enjoy listening to Josh Lucas…while you can point to the Tribusky decision, he was part of many good selections and beyond that, he’s been in that building and lived that life for years and years…which makes him automatically worth listening to more than 99% of these other mo mos on the internet.

That said, I don’t have Murphy that high….but I do like him in a trade back in the 13-20 range. I wouldn’t target him at 9 though. If all of the WRs are off the board, I’d be very tempted to trade back. Obviously depends on who’s on the board. I’d want a 2nd in a trade back though…if a 2nd isn’t on the table, just select the highest player on the board.

Scobear

Liked Posts:
Are you trying to be an asshat?

It was what happened. Poles asked Fields who he liked from a short list of possible 3rd rounders and Fields chose Velus.

Poles had the blame of creating the list and the players on it. Fields had the blame of choosing Velus from that list.
The Velus pick is Poles responsibility and his ONLY, irrespective of the stupid decision to get a QB who had played only a handful of games in the league involved in the process (if that actually happened?). Fields plays the Football (not very well unfortunately) and Poles builds the roster through FA and the Draft, its that simple. If the final choice was left to Fields and Fields only then thats a major indictment on Poles, and hopefully a decision he'll not make again. Poles selected Jones, the shitty and flawed process he used is irrelevant, it's his pick and 100% his fuck up!!

napo55

Liked Posts:
The Velus pick is Poles responsibility and his ONLY, irrespective of the stupid decision to get a QB who had played only a handful of games in the league involved in the process (if that actually happened?). Fields plays the Football (not very well unfortunately) and Poles builds the roster through FA and the Draft, its that simple. If the final choice was left to Fields and Fields only then thats a major indictment on Poles, and hopefully a decision he'll not make again. Poles selected Jones, the shitty and flawed process he used is irrelevant, it's his pick and 100% his fuck up!!
Exactly. Give him credit when its due, and blame when he messes up. .

Scobear

Liked Posts:
Exactly. Give him credit when its due, and blame when he messes up. .
I'm right behind Poles, think he's done a good job overall with only a few miss steps. The Carolina haul, the Sweat trade and the Keenan Allen pick up were excellent moves. A good upcoming draft and this team may be pretty decent this year.

napo55

Liked Posts:
I'm right behind Poles, think he's done a good job overall with only a few miss steps. The Carolina haul, the Sweat trade and the Keenan Allen pick up were excellent moves. A good upcoming draft and this team may be pretty decent this year.
I think this year, including the free agents and the draft, will be decisive on grading Poles. I think he failed in not giving Fields offensive weapons, but obviously, everything depends on how Williams performs, and Poles has given Williams offensive skill players, .., so no excuses please.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Poles is to blame for the list and for allowing Fields to make the pick.

Fields is to blame for the pick.

My opinion and you are NEVER going to change it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Poles is to blame for the list and for allowing Fields to make the pick.

Fields is to blame for the pick.

My opinion and you are NEVER going to change it.

Poles is the GM and there is no way he takes Velus if he didnt believe in him. If you delegate part of your responsibility you still 100% own the result.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I will agree with those who say Poles is responsible for the pick ultimately. All the picks.

All that being said, now that we have a better quarterback, perhaps Velus gets one last chance to see if he can be a weapon.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I recommend listening to the Move the Sticks podcast to get a better idea of how teams evaluate, grade, and stack their boards.

Players fall into a range based on team grades. Most drafts will only have 15-20 players who grade out as true first rounders. Few will grade out to be top prospects at their position (blues) and those mostly go in the top 5-10.

The decision to trade back is based on how many players you have available in that range when you pick. If you have 5 players on your board at pick 9, you can trade back to 13 and be certain one of those players will be there (4 players will be picked and you’re okay with any of the 5).

The thing most people don’t get is another team has to be willing to trade up. Reaches can be situational. Sometimes no one is willing to trade with you and you’re forced to overdraft a player.

Lastly if you have conviction on a player, especially at a premium position that lines up with need, it won’t matter how many players are there. It’s an easy decision to run the card in if a top 5 talent drops to 9.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I recommend listening to the Move the Sticks podcast to get a better idea of how teams evaluate, grade, and stack their boards.

Players fall into a range based on team grades. Most drafts will only have 15-20 players who grade out as true first rounders. Few will grade out to be top prospects at their position (blues) and those mostly go in the top 5-10.

The decision to trade back is based on how many players you have available in that range when you pick. If you have 5 players on your board at pick 9, you can trade back to 13 and be certain one of those players will be there (4 players will be picked and you’re okay with any of the 5).

The thing most people don’t get is another team has to be willing to trade up. Reaches can be situational. Sometimes no one is willing to trade with you and you’re forced to overdraft a player.

Lastly if you have conviction on a player, especially at a premium position that lines up with need, it won’t matter how many players are there. It’s an easy decision to run the card in if a top 5 talent drops to 9.
I've mentioned this idea several times, and it's really all that needs to be said. Teams pool players, if you have nice pool of guys in the same basket at your slot you try to trade back. If not, you select.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've mentioned this idea several times, and it's really all that needs to be said. Teams pool players, if you have nice pool of guys in the same basket at your slot you try to trade back. If not, you select.
Undoubtedly but some posters view this all as static, accepting big boards and mock drafts as gospel.

The truth is there is no universal consensus. Every draft is fluid. Not every player picked is even on our board.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I wonder when teams reach the point of...we've done all our homework, let's just get this draft over with.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I think the Bears are in a transition spot where trading down will not be advisable unless you willing to forgo a blue player as at 9 only 1 or 2 blue players will remain.

They will likely have several 2nd tier players available which makes trading down palatable again if you fine forgoing the last blue player or two likely left at 9.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think this year, including the free agents and the draft, will be decisive on grading Poles. I think he failed in not giving Fields offensive weapons, but obviously, everything depends on how Williams performs, and Poles has given Williams offensive skill players, .., so no excuses please.

We'll keep an eye on Mooney for part of that answer.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Knock this shit off, guys. Like @NeverDieEasy says, you can’t have conversations about the draft unless you’re an NFL GM.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts: