2024 NFL Draft discussion

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
But it's have to be a 2025 2nd round pick from CHI, so that's be like a 3rd rounder.

A 3rd round pick to go from 9 to 5 sounds like a pipe dream...
I agree with you. It’s will be a late 2025 2nd round pick. It can go out way if the team we are trading with really thinks we are going to win only 4-6 games and they are desperate. Don’t see it happening but who knows.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Yeah. It would basically be valued as the last pick in the third round. I think 7 or 8 may happen for Nabers or Odunze. It may take this year’s 3rd and next year’s 2nd to get to 5 — again, only if the 4 QBs go off the board first.
Value wise, maybe. Now the team wanting more because they also know you’re desperate, yeah I don’t think that’s still enough.

Clint Eastwood

Liked Posts:
The bears could trade the 2nd from Carolina next year which should be a high second. I would be willing to trade both of next years 2s to move up if we get a 4th back next year as well.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The bears could trade the 2nd from Carolina next year which should be a high second. I would be willing to trade both of next years 2s to move up if we get a 4th back next year as well.
No.

That could be as high as 33 and is unlikely to be lower than 35-40.

For what? A 3rd this year?

Why is everybody so hell-bent on getting a higher quantity of picks in 2024, when the Cubs have picked up three players with picks already and have two top 10 picks?

If the Cubs had traded a fourth and a fifth for the number nine overall pick people would be thrilled. But because they don’t have a fourth and fifth people think they absolutely have to add quantity versus quality.

Clint Eastwood

Liked Posts:
A 4th and 5th don’t get you from 9 to 5 with marvin harrison available. It will take a first next year or 2nd this year at minimum. Its why i suggested 2 seconds next year so we keep our first next year. I would also consider our first next year because those 2 seconds may be more valuable than what i imagine is a later first…

what did i say that makes you think I want higher quantity of picks in 2024? I was just asking for a little back since 2 2nds next year is a little steep. And we have only 4 picks this year, so made sense.

Not sure what any of it has to do with the cubs, lol.
No.

That could be as high as 33 and is unlikely to be lower than 35-40.

For what? A 3rd this year?

Why is everybody so hell-bent on getting a higher quantity of picks in 2024, when the Cubs have picked up three players with picks already and have two top 10 picks?

If the Cubs had traded a fourth and a fifth for the number nine overall pick people would be thrilled. But because they don’t have a fourth and fifth people think they absolutely have to add quantity versus quality.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
A 4th and 5th don’t get you from 9 to 5 with marvin harrison available. It will take a first next year or 2nd this year at minimum. Its why i suggested 2 seconds next year so we keep our first next year. I would also consider our first next year because those 2 seconds may be more valuable than what i imagine is a later first…

what did i say that makes you think I want higher quantity of picks in 2024? I was just asking for a little back since 2 2nds next year is a little steep. And we have only 4 picks this year, so made sense.

Not sure what any of it has to do with the cubs, lol.
Oops.

I was watching the Cubs blow an 8-0 lead while responding. 😂

But what makes me think you want more picks? The idea that you wanted to trade a future pick to get more picks this year.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Which incoming QB has the best mechanics? This is from The Athletic.

“Some of the most uninformed conversations every NFL Draft season center around quarterback mechanics. Many NFL quarterback coaches will even concede they aren’t experts in mechanics; their job is more centered on installing the offense and game plan.

Mechanics are important because they affect how well and consistently a quarterback throws. Every quarterback should continue to refine their mechanics throughout their careers, and some must make major changes early in theirs. Naturally, mechanics will be a major talking point every year when evaluating quarterback prospects.

Even if you’re not a coach or scout, if you have watched football for a long time, you have an ingrained idea of how mechanics should look. Sometimes a prospect’s mechanics look different, but it doesn’t mean they have to be corrected. But mechanics are difficult. The science behind throwing a football hasn’t been developed and researched as much as the science behind a golf swing or pitching in baseball.

A lot of old-time assumptions are passed off as truths. To work on their mechanics, quarterbacks will go to private coaches who are committed to the science of throwing the ball and how to teach it.

To add some informed opinions about the mechanics of this year’s top quarterback prospects, I got some of the top private quarterback coaches in the country to rate and comment on how Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels, J.J. McCarthy, Michael Penix Jr., Bo Nix and Spencer Rattler throw the ball. They will remain anonymous because they have worked with some of the discussed prospects in some capacity and could in the future.

They graded efficiency, speed, adaptability and overall mechanics on a scale of 1-5. I averaged their overall grades for a final grade. Efficiency is the ability to transfer force from their hips, speed is how quick their release is, and adaptability is how well they can adjust their mechanics to overcome external factors. The overall grade isn’t a cumulative score of the other three categories but just a grade on the quarterback’s overall mechanics that could include factors outside of the listed categories.

These grades are strictly for mechanics, which doesn’t correlate with an overall grade for a quarterback. Playing quarterback involves many factors other than mechanics. This article focuses on only one element of quarterback play, one often rife with conjecture.

• 1 – Problematic
• 2 – Will take a lot of work to fix
• 3 – Fixable
• 4 – Good
• 5 – Excellent

Caleb Williams​

Efficiency: 4.8
Adaptability: 5
Speed: 4.25
Overall: 4.9

Williams is hailed for his off-script highlights, but his mechanics make him special. The overwhelming consensus is that Williams is a uniquely efficient thrower. One coach compared his mechanics to Aaron Rodgers’. Another said he’s one of the most efficient back-hip rotators he’s seen, which is the speed at which his hips rotate into the throw combined with his ability to quickly stabilize his front to create a great amount of force into his throw.

“Regarding NFL readiness, no prospect has a foundation for throwing and movement efficiency like Caleb,” one coach said. “Although his arm strength is the first percentile, he can throttle and adapt his throw at a similar level to (Patrick) Mahomes.”

“You’ll see guys like Caleb and Mahomes; they have crazy external rotation,” another coach said. “So what I mean by that is when they start their throw motion from the horizontal L. When they get to this vertical point and start going forward, their arm is able to go so far past 90 degrees that it allows them to change arm angles with their spine angle. If you notice, C.J. Stroud, who’s a great thrower of course, doesn’t have that same external rotation.”

This comment wasn’t meant to be a dig at Stroud but rather to differentiate and highlight Williams’ special ability to change his arm angles and still throw accurately. One criticism of Williams’ mechanics is that he tends to slow his arm too much when he’s trying to layer throws, which can affect ball placement, but that can be fixed.

Unsurprisingly, Williams’ mechanics were rated by far the highest, but don’t let that skew how the others are graded. No other quarterback finished with an overall grade above 4.0, which is more realistic for young quarterbacks entering the league.

Drake Maye​

Efficiency: 3.6
Adaptability: 3.5
Speed: 3.3
Overall: 3.75

Maye’s mechanics have been the subject of much debate among analysts. There seem to be wide-ranging opinions about his release, accuracy and footwork. Maye will miss layup passes occasionally, but most of the coaches who participated in the article agree it’s mostly because of correctable footwork issues.

“However his accuracy diminishes as he moves through progressions, (it’s) a very fixable issue,” a coach said. “However, in a non-developmental league, it needs to be fixed immediately, and this can only be done through on-field reps.”

Continued at link:

Which of the NFL Draft's top passers has the best mechanics? QB gurus grade them

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Luke

Liked Posts:
It will be fun to see if Rome or Nabers drops to 9. We'll need a T, Edge or extra QB taken early to make that happen.

Here's a very interesting CBS Mock from yesterday. Check it out before this guys sees what he did. Look for Odunze. EXPERT!

LOL, the boob forgot about him!
other than that, the first 8 picks wouldn't surprise me.
The more I think about it, I could see both the Cards and Chargers stickin and pickin.

Last edited:

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
It will be fun to see if Rome or Nabers drops to 9. We'll need a T, Edge or extra QB taken early to make that happen.

Here's a very interesting CBS Mock from yesterday. Check it out before this guys sees what he did. Look for Odunze. EXPERT!

lol “Odunze isn’t a first round guy” is the spiciest of hot takes even though probably unintentional.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I seem to be in the minority here, but I HATE the idea of trading up for MHJ (or any of the WRs for that matter). WRs don't win you Superbowls.

How many rings do TO, Moss, and Megatron have? Look what KC has done since Hill was traded.

That second round pick (assuming here) that we'd use to trade up for MHJ/Odunze/Nabers could be used on a starting OG or OC to protect Williams. Maybe it could be used on a DL to impact the other team's QB.

I personally don't think MHJ is on the level of Moss, Megatron, Julio Jones and the team would be better off keeping whatever additional draft capital it would take to trade up for him.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I seem to be in the minority here, but I HATE the idea of trading up for MHJ (or any of the WRs for that matter). WRs don't win you Superbowls.

How many rings do TO, Moss, and Megatron have? Look what KC has done since Hill was traded.

That second round pick (assuming here) that we'd use to trade up for MHJ/Odunze/Nabers could be used on a starting OG or OC to protect Williams. Maybe it could be used on a DL to impact the other team's QB.

I personally don't think MHJ is on the level of Moss, Megatron, Julio Jones and the team would be better off keeping whatever additional draft capital it would take to trade up for him.
Why would you say you are in the minority.

Someone started a separate thread just to discuss the ridiculous notion of trading up, and most everyone is against it. As they should be.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Why would you say you are in the minority.

Someone started a separate thread just to discuss the ridiculous notion of trading up, and most everyone is against it. As they should be.
I literally just saw that thread on this page, but I haven't actually opened it yet.

FatRabbit

Liked Posts:
DJMoore and K.Allen gone after 2 years. That's the reason why Poles draft MHJ.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Which incoming QB has the best mechanics? This is from The Athletic.

“Some of the most uninformed conversations every NFL Draft season center around quarterback mechanics. Many NFL quarterback coaches will even concede they aren’t experts in mechanics; their job is more centered on installing the offense and game plan.

Mechanics are important because they affect how well and consistently a quarterback throws. Every quarterback should continue to refine their mechanics throughout their careers, and some must make major changes early in theirs. Naturally, mechanics will be a major talking point every year when evaluating quarterback prospects.

Even if you’re not a coach or scout, if you have watched football for a long time, you have an ingrained idea of how mechanics should look. Sometimes a prospect’s mechanics look different, but it doesn’t mean they have to be corrected. But mechanics are difficult. The science behind throwing a football hasn’t been developed and researched as much as the science behind a golf swing or pitching in baseball.

A lot of old-time assumptions are passed off as truths. To work on their mechanics, quarterbacks will go to private coaches who are committed to the science of throwing the ball and how to teach it.

To add some informed opinions about the mechanics of this year’s top quarterback prospects, I got some of the top private quarterback coaches in the country to rate and comment on how Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels, J.J. McCarthy, Michael Penix Jr., Bo Nix and Spencer Rattler throw the ball. They will remain anonymous because they have worked with some of the discussed prospects in some capacity and could in the future.

They graded efficiency, speed, adaptability and overall mechanics on a scale of 1-5. I averaged their overall grades for a final grade. Efficiency is the ability to transfer force from their hips, speed is how quick their release is, and adaptability is how well they can adjust their mechanics to overcome external factors. The overall grade isn’t a cumulative score of the other three categories but just a grade on the quarterback’s overall mechanics that could include factors outside of the listed categories.

These grades are strictly for mechanics, which doesn’t correlate with an overall grade for a quarterback. Playing quarterback involves many factors other than mechanics. This article focuses on only one element of quarterback play, one often rife with conjecture.

• 1 – Problematic
• 2 – Will take a lot of work to fix
• 3 – Fixable
• 4 – Good
• 5 – Excellent

Caleb Williams​

Efficiency: 4.8
Adaptability: 5
Speed: 4.25
Overall: 4.9

Williams is hailed for his off-script highlights, but his mechanics make him special. The overwhelming consensus is that Williams is a uniquely efficient thrower. One coach compared his mechanics to Aaron Rodgers’. Another said he’s one of the most efficient back-hip rotators he’s seen, which is the speed at which his hips rotate into the throw combined with his ability to quickly stabilize his front to create a great amount of force into his throw.

“Regarding NFL readiness, no prospect has a foundation for throwing and movement efficiency like Caleb,” one coach said. “Although his arm strength is the first percentile, he can throttle and adapt his throw at a similar level to (Patrick) Mahomes.”

“You’ll see guys like Caleb and Mahomes; they have crazy external rotation,” another coach said. “So what I mean by that is when they start their throw motion from the horizontal L. When they get to this vertical point and start going forward, their arm is able to go so far past 90 degrees that it allows them to change arm angles with their spine angle. If you notice, C.J. Stroud, who’s a great thrower of course, doesn’t have that same external rotation.”

This comment wasn’t meant to be a dig at Stroud but rather to differentiate and highlight Williams’ special ability to change his arm angles and still throw accurately. One criticism of Williams’ mechanics is that he tends to slow his arm too much when he’s trying to layer throws, which can affect ball placement, but that can be fixed.

Unsurprisingly, Williams’ mechanics were rated by far the highest, but don’t let that skew how the others are graded. No other quarterback finished with an overall grade above 4.0, which is more realistic for young quarterbacks entering the league.

Drake Maye​

Efficiency: 3.6
Adaptability: 3.5
Speed: 3.3
Overall: 3.75

Maye’s mechanics have been the subject of much debate among analysts. There seem to be wide-ranging opinions about his release, accuracy and footwork. Maye will miss layup passes occasionally, but most of the coaches who participated in the article agree it’s mostly because of correctable footwork issues.

“However his accuracy diminishes as he moves through progressions, (it’s) a very fixable issue,” a coach said. “However, in a non-developmental league, it needs to be fixed immediately, and this can only be done through on-field reps.”

Continued at link:

Which of the NFL Draft's top passers has the best mechanics? QB gurus grade them

Braindead fans be like, "Caleb good with off-script, must be bad at on-script! Caleb good athlete, Maye must be better at mechanics!"

The truth is, even Williams' weaknesses are better than other QBs' strengths in this class.