5 guys we have to re-sign

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
despite what the hyperbolic talk says, there is an argument for keeping cutler around AND drafting a QB.

This is what I think as well. Why does it have be one way or the other? Just do like Seattle did with Wilson. Keep Cutler as the starter, if the rookie outplays him so be it.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
You can argue that Gould is #1, but he's also been vairly candid in comments against management. As valuable of a kicker he is Emery could easily go another direction just to set an example.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What 5 players that we absolutely have to resign at the end of the year?

1. Cutler- We can't afford to try and start over at the QB position. Maybe his injury will allow his price to come down some
2. Gould-This accurate of a kicker especially in Soldier Field can not be overlooked. Dude has been money, now pay him
3. Tillman- I know he's getting up there but when healthy he still can be a difference maker
4. Wooten- I think Peppers is gone especially with his production. Wooten should be a fairly cheap solid player
5. Slauson- Has been a solid addition to the line. Would keep consistency and allow us to go after a center via draft or free agency

Why not?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think Seattle had some flexibility because Flynn's contract was small compared to other NFL starting QBs. Its not like they were paying him $15M to sit on the bench. I have a feeling Cutler is going to demand $15M - $20M/year, and I don't know if the Bears can afford to pay that type of money to a QB they aren't really sold on. JMO.

This. The Bears would really manage their cap to the point where they are paying Jay Cutler $20 million to basically have a tryout against a rookie? Do you really pay Cutler $15 million for one season to do that? What about 2-3 years at $12-$13 million to do that?

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think Seattle had some flexibility because Flynn's contract was small compared to other NFL starting QBs. Its not like they were paying him $15M to sit on the bench. I have a feeling Cutler is going to demand $15M - $20M/year, and I don't know if the Bears can afford to pay that type of money to a QB they aren't really sold on. JMO.

Who told you that Cutler will demand that type of money and the Bears aren't sold on him?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
ahem, I heard cutler will demand $100 million a year

Bearsweatherman

Liked Posts:
A lot of it will come down to how much we'd have to pay Cutler. Obviously if they have to pay him 15-20 than that makes it tough to justify drafting a QB. The D just seems to need so much work that I feel like Cutler is the least of our concerns right now.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mike Florio!!!!!!!

When I say something like "I have a feeling...", that probably means I am just making a guess and not actually reporting fact.

Take the stick out of your ass. Then continue posting. Thanks!

Don't go telling me things you cannot immediately prove on the spot!

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

I think a large part of how much Cutler is going to make next year is based on when he signs. Not 100 percent sure on how the offseason schedule plays out, but I'm fairly certain teams get to negotiate with their own players first. If the Bears can negotiate with him right after the season ends, you may end up signing him in the lower teens range (10-12 million). But if he hits the free agent market, some teams are going to throw stupid amounts of money at him because that's what always happens with QBs in free agency, and then the Bears had better be sold on him or they'd probably be best served to let him walk.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think a large part of how much Cutler is going to make next year is based on when he signs. Not 100 percent sure on how the offseason schedule plays out, but I'm fairly certain teams get to negotiate with their own players first. If the Bears can negotiate with him right after the season ends, you may end up signing him in the lower teens range (10-12 million). But if he hits the free agent market, some teams are going to throw stupid amounts of money at him because that's what always happens with QBs in free agency, and then the Bears had better be sold on him or they'd probably be best served to let him walk.
Bears would be playing with fire IMO to bring Cutler back for a multi-year deal and drafting a QB with the long term intention of replacing Cutler with him. You think Cutler is going to be a good solider in this thing if that's the case? I don't know. Depending on the way the deal is structured not sure it makes sense from a cap situation either.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Bears would be playing with fire IMO to bring Cutler back for a multi-year deal and drafting a QB with the long term intention of replacing Cutler with him. You think Cutler is going to be a good solider in this thing if that's the case? I don't know. Depending on the way the deal is structured not sure it makes sense from a cap situation either.

Given what happened in Denver, I wouldn't be optimistic about Cutler being the good soldier, either. He wants to be a starting QB in the NFL, that's it, and he may not be so open to a competition.

Sorta feels like the Bears have two options: keep Cutler and McCown as your two QBs and continue to trot out Matt Blanchard in the preseason as your "developmental" QB or just blow up the whole thing and go with an entirely new QB group.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Given what happened in Denver, I wouldn't be optimistic about Cutler being the good soldier, either. He wants to be a starting QB in the NFL, that's it, and he may not be so open to a competition.

Sorta feels like the Bears have two options: keep Cutler and McCown as your two QBs and continue to trot out Matt Blanchard in the preseason as your "developmental" QB or just blow up the whole thing and go with an entirely new QB group.

Yeah and I wasn't implying Cutler is still the same type of guy he was in Denver. I wasn't sure in all honesty. No idea how it would work but from the outside looking in it would be a pretty big risk.

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I say you have to resign Cutler. Looking at Cutlers stats this year with this squad he's played good. I just don't believe were going to get someone better in FA or draft that can come in and player better than Cutler. I really hate this QB draft class, I'm all for gambling and drafting a QB maybe well get lucky but I'm not willing to let go Cutler and draft another Gabbert, Weeden, or Ponder and watch us go 2-14.

It's like you don't quit your job unless you have another job lined up. Seattle had Flynn San Fran had Smith.

You look at Vick with his 100 mil contract and injuries every year and the Eagles still haven't released him but keep drafting QBs like Barkley and Foles. They'll continue til they find the right QB.

I don't think you let go Cutler and just roll the dice and hope we get a Luck.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I say you have to resign Cutler. Looking at Cutlers stats this year with this squad he's played good. I just don't believe were going to get someone better in FA or draft that can come in and player better than Cutler. I really hate this QB draft class, I'm all for gambling and drafting a QB maybe well get lucky but I'm not willing to let go Cutler and draft another Gabbert, Weeden, or Ponder and watch us go 2-14.

It's like you don't quit your job unless you have another job lined up. Seattle had Flynn San Fran had Smith.

Cutler's passer rating outside of some junk time yards and scores vs Detroit and NO was around his career average of 84. He's looked better under Trestman but I don't think to the point where the Bears "have" to resign him.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah and I wasn't implying Cutler is still the same type of guy he was in Denver. I wasn't sure in all honesty. No idea how it would work but from the outside looking in it would be a pretty big risk.

Agree on the risk.... but perhaps if Trestman approaches it the right way.... maybe he and Emery feel out Cutler on the issue and see if he would be cool with a competition. Maybe they sell it to him as he is our solid starter and we draft a young QB for him to mentor and help us develop.... There has to be a better way to do it than let him find out on Twitter and wait for him to get pissed and look elsewhere.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Agree on the risk.... but perhaps if Trestman approaches it the right way.... maybe he and Emery feel out Cutler on the issue and see if he would be cool with a competition. Maybe they sell it to him as he is our solid starter and we draft a young QB for him to mentor and help us develop.... There has to be a better way to do it than let him find out on Twitter and wait for him to get pissed and look elsewhere.

Yeah but are you honestly going to pay a 31 year old QB 12-15 million a year to mentor a QB when you have other glaring holes to fill? If anything it makes sense for the Bears to NOT spend the money on Cutler and do a clean break. You have a better/solid OL that should continue to improve. Two capable WR's in Marshall and Jeffery and a promising guy in Wilson. A very good TE, a top 5 RB etc. Seems like a great opportunity for a rookie QB to come into and cut his teeth. Not sure how much mentoring Cutler would do or the value of it. Trestman is the QB guru, not Cutler. Then you can start putting money into the defense at a higher rate if you are able to not have to pay Cutler that money. I think Cutler ends back up in Chicago but if there was ever a time for the Bears to bring in a long term starter now is the time based on what they have around them on offense.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
What 5 players that we absolutely have to resign at the end of the year?

1. Cutler- We can't afford to try and start over at the QB position. Maybe his injury will allow his price to come down some
2. Gould-This accurate of a kicker especially in Soldier Field can not be overlooked. Dude has been money, now pay him
3. Tillman- I know he's getting up there but when healthy he still can be a difference maker
4. Wooten- I think Peppers is gone especially with his production. Wooten should be a fairly cheap solid player
5. Slauson- Has been a solid addition to the line. Would keep consistency and allow us to go after a center via draft or free agency
This.