5 guys we have to re-sign

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Teams that have the same QB for 5 years normally do so because the QB has been producing. Very rarely does an NFL team keep roling out a QB who is mediocre/bad year after year. Cutler is definitely a "Jay Fiedler-like" anomoly because he continues to start while statistically ranking in the bottom tier of QBs every year.

I think it's fair to say mediocre but bad just isn't the case and im honestly not sure what stats you are referring to as ranking in the bottom. Yards? TDs? QBR?

Also it's been barked a million times but the crap around Jay well was crap from the OL to the coaches. Most of the OL,WR's and coaches that were trotted out the field are either not in the NFL or backup's backups. The only person starting on any NFL that played with Jay as a Bear is Chris Williams. I don't think it's a coincidence that Jay started to improve when things around him didn't suck

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Strange, because 48 hours ago I was told that Cam Newton's success in the NFL was because of Greg Olsen.

Oh yeah forgot about Greg and who told you that?

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ummmm why not? See something you don't like?

He's had terrible level of competition playing in the Big East where I think it's elevated his stats as to if he played in one of the top 5 conferences. He has velocity issues where they say he has trouble controlling it to the point where he overthrows receivers often like Cam Newton who is interception prone. His foot work needs alot of work where in an unstable pocket he may see a lot of trouble. Hopefully with our new and improved oline it shouldn't be as much of an issue.

On the other hand they say he's got great size decent arm strength and good decision making. I've just heard alot of analyst say don't get too carried away with the idea that this guy is the next franchise QB. I would have rather had someone like Tannehill who the Dolphins got.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
his performance itself isn't relevant, but Cutlers value to the team will be better addressed. If we are significantly worst without Cutler to the point we lose out, then Emery has a decision to make if he thinks there's a good chance we can get better in the draft or not. I say give Cutler a smaller contract if it can be done and draft a QB as well. I don't think we cutt bait and swing for the fenses and pray we don't draft the next Gabbert.

But why does that matter in relation to McNown? If Emery is only able to evaluate QB's based on their performance with the Bears your organization is screwed. McCown's performance over the next 4-5 weeks or whatever is completely irrelevant to the decision to sign Cutler. The teams performance around McCown is also irrelevant.

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:
But why does that matter in relation to McNown? If Emery is only able to evaluate QB's based on their performance with the Bears your organization is screwed. McCown's performance over the next 4-5 weeks or whatever is completely irrelevant to the decision to sign Cutler. The teams performance around McCown is also irrelevant.

It's not just McCown's performance its Cutlers value to this team. Emery isn't assessing McCown, he's assessing Cutlers value to the Chicago Bears. How valuable is Cutler? The question is can we get better in the draft? No one has the answers now, but at the end of the season Emery will have to think if he thinks we can get better without him. This next 4 weeks will show us what we had with Cutler and what we might not have. Your right McCown isn't our starter next year regardless so Emery isn't saying "oh shit look at McCown I don't want to deal with that we need Cutler." But he is going to have to realize what we have with Cutler and if he thinks a QB in the next draft can give us that same production or better.

I don't think Emery's mind is made up at this very moment.

On the other hand McCown may win out and even though we might not make McCown our starter next year Emery may say we don't need Cutler to win games.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's not just McCown's performance its Cutlers value to this team. Emery isn't assessing McCown, he's assessing Cutlers value to the Chicago Bears. How valuable is Cutler? The question is can we get better in the draft? No one has the answers now, but at the end of the season Emery will have to think if he thinks we can get better without him. This next 4 weeks will show us what we had with Cutler and what we might not have. Your right McCown isn't our starter next year regardless so Emery isn't saying "oh shit look at McCown I don't want to deal with that we need Cutler." But he is going to have to realize what we have with Cutler and if he thinks a QB in the next draft can give us that same production or better.

I don't think Emery's mind is made up at this very moment.

On the other hand McCown may win out and even though we might not make McCown our starter next year Emery may say we don't need Cutler.

How does McCown's performance and the team's performance around him give any insight into Cutler's "value"? If Emery hasn't already decided how valuable Cutler is to the Bears and needs to see Josh McCown start games in order to cement his thoughts your team is screwed.

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:
How does McCown's performance and the team's performance around him give any insight into Cutler's "value"? If Emery hasn't already decided how valuable Cutler is to the Bears and needs to see Josh McCown start games in order to cement his thoughts your team is screwed.

A) Say Cutler doesn't comeback this year and we lose 9 straight.
B) Say Cutler doesn't comeback this year and we win 9 straight.

You don't think that has any impact on Emery's decision about Cutler? not even a little?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Say Cutler doesn't comeback this year and we lose 9 straight.
Say Cutler doesn't comeback this year and we win 9 straight.

You don't think that has any impact on Emery's decision about Cutler? not even a little?

It shouldn't. No. The QB next year won't be Josh McCown. The way the team performs around him is irrelevant. Judging some other QB's possible value to the Bears based on the success or failings of the team being lead by Josh McCown is football stupid.

Last edited:

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Yeah but are you honestly going to pay a 31 year old QB 12-15 million a year to mentor a QB when you have other glaring holes to fill? If anything it makes sense for the Bears to NOT spend the money on Cutler and do a clean break. You have a better/solid OL that should continue to improve. Two capable WR's in Marshall and Jeffery and a promising guy in Wilson. A very good TE, a top 5 RB etc. Seems like a great opportunity for a rookie QB to come into and cut his teeth. Not sure how much mentoring Cutler would do or the value of it. Trestman is the QB guru, not Cutler. Then you can start putting money into the defense at a higher rate if you are able to not have to pay Cutler that money. I think Cutler ends back up in Chicago but if there was ever a time for the Bears to bring in a long term starter now is the time based on what they have around them on offense.

Would Cutler's departure affect Marshall's future in Chicago? I worry that it would. And while Alshon is having a good season I'm not ready to anoint him a No. 1 guy.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Would Cutler's departure affect Marshall's future in Chicago? I worry that it would. And while Alshon is having a good season I'm not ready to anoint him a No. 1 guy.

Valid point. Which would make Emery's acquisition of Marshall pretty questionable.

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:
It shouldn't. No. The QB next year won't be Josh McCown. The way the team performs around him is irrelevant. Judging some other QB's possible value to the Bears based on the success or failings of the team being lead by Josh McCown is football stupid.

But you aren't judging the future possible Bears QB's, you're judging Cutlers Value to the team. IF the Bears win out 9 games and we win a superbowl without Cutler, Emery may say we are letting Cutler go. I'd say that had an impact.

in 2001 Drew Bledsoe was the Pats starting QB he got injured and Brady took over and won a superbowl. You don't think Brady's play had an impact on the way the team valued Bledsoe?

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Strange, because 48 hours ago I was told that Cam Newton's success in the NFL was because of Greg Olsen.
They were fuckin with ya. Nobody believes that.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But you aren't judging the future possible Bears QB's, you're judging Cutlers Value to the team. IF the Bears win out 9 games and we win a superbowl without Cutler, Emery may say we are letting Cutler go. I'd say that had an impact.

in 2001 Drew Bledsoe was the Pats starting QB he got injured and Brady took over and won a superbowl. You don't think Brady's play had an impact on the way the team valued Bledsoe?

If the Bears win a Super Bowl with Josh fucking McCown I would think Emery brings back Cutler because Cutler is easily better than McCown and the Bears should win 7 straight Super Bowls. It's a talent question. Like when the Ravens dumped Dilfer after 2000.

No, I think it changed the way they valued Tom Brady.

I reiterate: The Bears performance with McCown at QB has no bearing on Cutler's value. Cutler's value is set. The sample size that he has with the Bears is more than adequate enough to make a determination on what he can or can't do as an NFL player and how good ro not good he is. At this point it becomes the question of what do you pay for that(what the Bears think the price should be) and what QB's in either FA and the draft you like or dislike and how much and/pr what you think they can do. McCown's upcoming 4 game sample size has nothing to do with Cutler.

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:
fair enough

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
5 guys we have to resign

This is what I think as well. Why does it have be one way or the other? Just do like Seattle did with Wilson. Keep Cutler as the starter, if the rookie outplays him so be it.

Yeah, sign a guy for 15-20 mil and then give a rookie a fair chance to beat him out. Come on, man.

bearbeav

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Re: 5 guys we have to resign

Why does McCown's performance have any bearing on Cutler coming back or not? McCown isn't going to start next year in either scenario, and might not even be on the roster. Why is his performance relevant?

Because if he performs well and the O plays well, then the Jay was playing his best before he got hurt argument doesn't mean much cause then its apparent that its Trestman's QB friendly system and the pieces around him

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk