5 guys we have to re-sign

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Because if he performs well and the O plays well, then the Jay was playing his best before he got hurt argument doesn't mean much cause then its apparent that its Trestman's QB friendly system and the pieces around him

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

But that speaks more the McCowns "value" than Cutler's. Cutler's value is set. McCown's may be in question.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, sign a guy for 15-20 mil and then give a rookie a fair chance to beat him out. Come on, man.

I wasn't really thinking like that. I was thinking sign a player that you know gives you a chance to compete (Cutler), draft a QB that you believe you can develop into the future. If Cutler goes down there is someone who can be the QB of the future to come in, instead of some Band-Aid like McCown. If the rookie excels, then Cutler is expendable. I would have to let go of Cutler, and draft the next shitty high round QB, just as much as I would hate to keep Cutler and not get anyone else in.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wasn't really thinking like that. I was thinking sign a player that you know gives you a chance to compete (Cutler), draft a QB that you believe you can develop into the future. If Cutler goes down there is someone who can be the QB of the future to come in, instead of some Band-Aid like McCown. If the rookie excels, then Cutler is expendable. I would have to let go of Cutler, and draft the next shitty high round QB, just as much as I would hate to keep Cutler and not get anyone else in.

How much is Cutler worth though as an oft injured 32-33 year old QB who got beat out by a rookie performance wise and is making $15 million? Yeah sure he's "expendable" but is he movable?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
5 guys we have to resign

Too costly and nobody should need more time to see what Cutler is about at this point. I have nothing against Jay except he's a soft bum and a loser.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Too costly and nobody should need more time to see what Cutler is about at this point.
This is what is still astounding to me.
Cutler has a massive sample size to take from. Even with him being "better" under Trestman this year he's still been turnover prone and now he's injured(again). I mean what more do people need to see of him? He's a slightly better version this year of the typically marginally efficient QB he always has been.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How much is Cutler worth though as an oft injured 32-33 year old QB who got beat out by a rookie performance wise and is making $15 million? Yeah sure he's "expendable" but is he movable?

I would imagine you may be able to do something with the contract that would make it a little easier to move him, and at this point we don't really know what kind of contract Cutler is going to get. The question the Bears have to answer is, is it better to move on with Cutler knowing what he gives you, than to move on without him and take the risk of getting someone worse at QB than he is?

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:

I'd say give him a back loaded contract and keep the guarantees low. If he we do find the next Luck then trade him and if you can't release him all you lost was whateverr you paid him for the first year big deal. This is why I don't believe in resigning him and franchising him for 15 mil instead. Its still worth it because you cover your ass on both ends. If we fail and draft a shit QB oh well we still have Cutler who has another year to prove himself for a contract. If the rookie is awesome then so what you wasted 15 mil. 15 mil is the insurance.

Franchising Cutler in my opinion is the way to go. You don't tie yourself to him and you give yourself a chance to explore without making too much of a gamble by drafting the next Gabbert.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'd say give him a back loaded contract and keep the guarantees low. If he we do find the next Luck then trade him and if you can't release him all you lost was whateverr you paid him for the first year big deal. This is why I don't believe in resigning him and franchising him for 15 mil or whatever is still worth it because you cover your ass on both ends. If we fail and draft a shit QB oh well we still have Cutler who has another year to prove himself for a contract. If the rookie is awesome then so what you wasted 15 mil. 15 mil is the insurance.
Cutler may be a lot of things. But he's not an idiot.
$15 million is pretty significant when looking at the depth the Bears need to build on the roster.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is what is still astounding to me.
Cutler has a massive sample size to take from. Even with him being "better" under Trestman this year he's still been turnover prone and now he's injured(again). I mean what more do people need to see of him? He's a slightly better version this year of the typically marginally efficient QB he always has been.

For me its not about seeing more from him. It is I would rather have a mid 90 rated QB, that gives the Bears every chance to compete, than risk going to the years with the QB ratings in the low 70's, and feel that they have no chance to win the division.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For me its not about seeing more from him. It is I would rather have a mid 90 rated QB, that gives the Bears every chance to compete, than risk going to the years with the QB ratings in the low 70's, and feel that they have no chance to win the division.
Who is that?

BuhBuhBuhBears

Liked Posts:

I hate this plan so much, it's destined to fail. If you want to draft a QB and start over, great. But don't re-sign Cutler and draft a kid high, that creates a QB controversy in a town that can't handle one. It would divide the locker room immediately. This team isn't capable of dealing with that shit. Better to either re-up Cutler and move forward with him or let him walk and draft a QB in the first. No sense trying to hedge your bet by doing both. Worst case, the kid the Bears draft sucks and they fire Emery and Trestman. I can live with that risk.

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutler may be a lot of things. But he's not an idiot.
$15 million is pretty significant when looking at the depth the Bears need to build on the roster.

Franchise him, 15 million is worth the insurance of not drafting the right guy.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hate this plan so much, it's destined to fail. If you want to draft a QB and start over, great. But don't re-sign Cutler and draft a kid high, that creates a QB controversy in a town that can't handle one. It would divide the locker room immediately. This team isn't capable of dealing with that shit. Better to either re-up Cutler and move forward with him or let him walk and draft a QB in the first. No sense trying to hedge your bet by doing both. Worst case, the kid the Bears draft sucks and they fire Emery and Trestman. I can live with that risk.

If that would divide the team, or the town can't handle it, maybe its time to cut all the players and move the team to another town. Your sort of thinking is why the Bears have had shitty QB's for many years.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Franchise him, 15 million is worth the insurance of not drafting the right guy.

The franchise tag is going to be $20 million +. Your insurance for "not drafting the right guy" could be paying a vet to come in and play for much less than $20 million while you continue to build out the rest of the roster and find the QB in another draft.

I think this entire situation has gotten ridiculous if you're honestly advocating an NFL team spending $20 million on an "insurance policy" backup QB.

Somewhere Al Davis blushes.

bearbeav

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Re: 5 guys we have to resign

But that speaks more the McCowns "value" than Cutler's. Cutler's value is set. McCown's may be in question.

Find it hard to imagine you are having trouble understanding this. I've agreed with a lot you said and you have also mine. The point is if a QB with less physical skills can play well in this system on this team, it is easier to move on from Cutler cause you should be able to get a better QB in the draft then Mcnown who can come in and start right away and have success. Basically saying Cutlets potential isn't worth the money when you know you can win without him, draft your future QB and use all the money saved to improve elsewhere. I by the way believe we need to draft are future

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
The franchise tag is going to be $20 million +. Your insurance for "not drafting the right guy" could be paying a vet to come in and play for much less than $20 million while you continue to build out the rest of the roster and find the QB in another draft.
So go for the constant unknown that Bear fans will always love over the guy who has been a above average performer with shit supporting cast up to this year? This year where he was on pace for record year and 90+ qb rating. Man, Bear fans never seen to amaze me.

Stay away from the offense. LEAVE IT ALONE. Resign Slauson, Cutler, Tillman, Jennings. After that- time to reload on that damn defense. Forget the offense, it's shocking some of you wanna screw with the offense again. Finally it's good, it pointed 41 damn points up and you guys wanna get rid of a vital piece of the O-qb- Yes, Mccown played against Skins but Cutler has been good before injury.

This defense is keeping this team down. What does that tell you? Mess with offense? Fuk no. Fix theD

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, sign a guy for 15-20 mil and then give a rookie a fair chance to beat him out. Come on, man.
Better than letting him go though and then draft some Blaine Gabbert or Chadd Henne type and go 3-13 every year in last place in the nfcn.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Find it hard to imagine you are having trouble understanding this. I've agreed with a lot you said and you have also mine. The point is if a QB with less physical skills can play well in this system on this team, it is easier to move on from Cutler cause you should be able to get a better QB in the draft then Mcnown who can come in and start right away and have success. Basically saying Cutlets potential isn't worth the money when you know you can win without him, draft your future QB and use all the money saved to improve elsewhere.

No. Mccown has always been a solid backup, nothing would surprise me if he played decent. But to move on for the Bears fans love affair of watching college highlight tape of qb's all offseason is damn stupid. Draft is a crapshoot, stop assuming if the Bears let Cut go they can just draft one and the guy shits out touchdowns