5 guys we have to re-sign

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we ask this question 4 weeks from now and see how our offense does without Cutler... that will give us a better indication if we "have" to resign Cutler or not. I doubt Emery will close his eyes and pray for the best in the draft without backing his ass up.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
When you say pay Robbie Gould, I am ok with that, but like how much pay him? He's a kicker and a high priced kicker can hurt the team overall because of the less available money to spend elsewhere.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This. The Bears would really manage their cap to the point where they are paying Jay Cutler $20 million to basically have a tryout against a rookie? Do you really pay Cutler $15 million for one season to do that? What about 2-3 years at $12-$13 million to do that?

Not sure if this was directed at my post or not, but I was not implying that. I have been saying no matter what the situation with Cutler is the Bears need to draft a QB. Thanks to the rookie wage scale, paying Cutler 15 million per season and drafting a high QB is doable. I personally don't think any of the rookies will come in and outperform Cutler their first year, but if that was the case it would be a good problem to have. Much better of a problem than letting Cutler walk and having that rookie come in and perform like Weeden.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think we ask this question 4 weeks from now and see how our offense does without Cutler... that will give us a better indication if we "have" to resign Cutler or not. I doubt Emery will close his eyes and pray for the best in the draft without backing his ass up.

Why does McCown's performance have any bearing on Cutler coming back or not? McCown isn't going to start next year in either scenario, and might not even be on the roster. Why is his performance relevant?

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But Cutler should have absolutely no say in the "competition" matter. He's been the worst QB of any 5 year NFL starters. He's done nothing to justify himself being above competition. Trying to feel out Cutler at this stage of the game just perpetuates the prima donna behavior, IMO.

This also. I think that Cutler has matured to the point where he wouldn't pull the shit that happened in Denver here.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why does McCown's performance have any bearing on Cutler coming back or not? McCown isn't going to start next year in either scenario, and might not even be on the roster. Why is his performance relevant?

Only was I could see it affecting Cutler is, if the offense falters it can't be said that it was the system not Cutler. Like people say when Flynn was good in GB, and hasn't done shit since.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
you know, I think a lot of criticisms of cutler are warranted, but his telling josh mcdaniels to go fuck himself is not one of them

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Only was I could see it affecting Cutler is, if the offense falters it can't be said that it was the system not Cutler. Like people say when Flynn was good in GB, and hasn't done shit since.

Ok but even if the take away is "Wow Josh McCown sucks" why does that mean the Bears have to or should bring back Jay Cutler?

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok but even if the take away is "Wow Josh McCown sucks" why does that mean the Bears have to or should bring back Jay Cutler?

I wasn't saying that it works, was just saying thats the only way I could see it mattering.

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:

his performance itself isn't relevant, but Cutlers value to the team will be better addressed. If we are significantly worst without Cutler to the point we lose out, then Emery has a decision to make if he thinks there's a good chance we can get better in the draft or not. I say give Cutler a smaller contract if it can be done and draft a QB as well. I don't think we cutt bait and swing for the fenses and pray we don't draft the next Gabbert.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Mike Florio!!!!!!!
When I say something like "I have a feeling...", that probably means I am just making a guess and not actually reporting fact.

Take the stick out of your ass. Then continue posting. Thanks!

I knew it and no the stick keeps me balanced

A one year franchise tag is worth $20 million.

I've been against franchising Cutler for the longest. I don't think people see the potential cap damage it will cost and how many players we could lose just based on that tag alone

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
But Cutler should have absolutely no say in the "competition" matter. He's been the worst QB of any 5 year NFL starters. He's done nothing to justify himself being above competition. Trying to feel out Cutler at this stage of the game just perpetuates the prima donna behavior, IMO.

Que?

Bearsweatherman

Liked Posts:
Also depends on where we pick. If we tank the whole season and get a top 10 pick it might be hard not to take a QB. If we are picking 12-15 odds are we won't see a decent option drop to us.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
you know, I think a lot of criticisms of cutler are warranted, but his telling josh mcdaniels to go fuck himself is not one of them

Anyone who thinks Tebow is a first round prospect deserves to be hung

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also depends on where we pick. If we tank the whole season and get a top 10 pick it might be hard not to take a QB. If we are picking 12-15 odds are we won't see a decent option drop to us.

ehh this QB draft class isn't that strong I don't think any of the QB's coming out will go top 10

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Apparently there are 7 QB's slated to go in the first round but that is just what Mick keeps throwing around here. Bridgewater and Boyd are the only ones I like in the first

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Apparently there are 7 QB's slated to go in the first round but that is just what Mick keeps throwing around here. Bridgewater and Boyd are the only ones I like in the first

god I hope we don't get bridgewater

Bearsweatherman

Liked Posts:
ehh this QB draft class isn't that strong I don't think any of the QB's coming out will go top 10

I would almost guarantee at least one if not two qb's will go in the top ten. Bridgewater is looking pretty good, Mariota from Oregon is intriguing, heck Murray from Georgia is having a terrible year and I bet he still goes first round. All depends on who is picking. Jacksonville has to take a QB, Minnesota will be tempted to, possibly the Rams the list goes on.