5 guys we have to re-sign

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hate this plan so much, it's destined to fail. If you want to draft a QB and start over, great. But don't re-sign Cutler and draft a kid high, that creates a QB controversy in a town that can't handle one. It would divide the locker room immediately. This team isn't capable of dealing with that shit. Better to either re-up Cutler and move forward with him or let him walk and draft a QB in the first. No sense trying to hedge your bet by doing both. Worst case, the kid the Bears draft sucks and they fire Emery and Trestman. I can live with that risk.

What's a bigger gamble franchising Cutler for 15 mil? Or releasing him and the reaching into the hat blind folded hoping you get the next franchise QB.

1st) drafting a QB more so than not ends up being a bust or a journey man. 10 QB's come out of draft every year how many will be franchise QB's? Choose wisely!!!

2nd) this draft class sucks. There's no gurantees in QB's like Luck or RG3.

15 millions to franchise Cutler is a small price to pay in the grand scheme. And if the rookie thinks its too much of a hassle or controversy to compete then I don't want him.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Better than letting him go though then draft some Blaine Gabbert or Chadd Henne type and go 3-13 every year in last place in the nfcn.

Apparently because Terstman is "qb whisperer" he can make a overscouted shit qb into god. I mean, look at Mcclellin. Where was Rod Marenelli pixi dust with that? Again, draft is a crapshoot.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Find it hard to imagine you are having trouble understanding this. I've agreed with a lot you said and you have also mine. The point is if a QB with less physical skills can play well in this system on this team,
Lots of problems here:

1. It's a really small sample size.

2. Matt Flynn, Rob Johnson, etc etc

3. Softer back half of the schedule. It's not apples to apples. Also, if it took you realizing that "lesser" talented QB's can outperform Cutler in this system or if it took Emery that you're screwed. "Lesser" talented QB's have been outperforming Cutler for years in all kinds of systems and Trestman's system helped win Rich Gannon an MVP. Like I said, Cutler's value, skills,etc have been established. Now it's deciding if you want to pay that value.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What's a bigger gamble franchising Cutler for 15 mil? Or releasing him and the reaching into the hat blind folded hoping you get the next franchise QB.

1st) drafting a QB more so than not ends up being a bust or a journey man. 10 QB's come out of draft every year how many will be franchise QB's? Choose wisely!!!

2nd) this draft class sucks. There's no gurantees in QB's like Luck or RG3.

15 millions to franchise Cutler is a small price to pay in the grand scheme. And if the rookie thinks its too much of a hassle or controversy to compete then I don't want him.
It's not $15. It's $20. And it's a pretty steep price when you look at how many holes the Bears need to fill in the coming seasons.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No. Mccown has always been a solid backup, nothing would surprise me if he played decent. But to move on for the Bears fans love affair of watching college highlight tape of qb's all offseason is damn stupid. Draft is a crapshoot, stop assuming if the Bears let Cut go they can just draft one and the guy shits out touchdowns

That's what I don't understand either. A few posters here are so wrapped up in fantasy land that any QB will be automatically better than Cutler just because

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's what I don't understand either. A few posters here are so wrapped up in fantasy land that any QB will be automatically better than Cutler just because
Who has said or implied that?

The point is as well is Emery is a good GM like is purported around these parts and Trestman is such a QB guru then wouldn't the margin of error for finding a QB in the draft increase pretty dramatically?

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lots of problems here:

1. It's a really small sample size.

2. Matt Flynn, Rob Johnson, etc etc

3. Softer back half of the schedule. It's not apples to apples. Also, if it took you realizing that "lesser" talented QB's can outperform Cutler in this system or if it took Emery that you're screwed. "Lesser" talented QB's have been outperforming Cutler for years in all kinds of systems and Trestman's system helped win Rich Gannon an MVP. Like I said, Cutler's value, skills,etc have been established. Now it's deciding if you want to pay that value.

McCown played three QT's against a bad defense and still lost the game and you don't know if you can win without him

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:
The franchise tag is going to be $20 million +. Your insurance for "not drafting the right guy" could be paying a vet to come in and play for much less than $20 million while you continue to build out the rest of the roster and find the QB in another draft.

I think this entire situation has gotten ridiculous if you're honestly advocating an NFL team spending $20 million on an "insurance policy" backup QB.

Somewhere Al Davis blushes.

I'm not advocating that at all... See your value of cutler is different than what I value Cutler. I don't see it as paying 20 mil for a backup. I'm hoping Cutler wins the job because I honestly don't believe there's a QB in this draft better than Cutler right now. I'm drafting a QB incase Cutler isn't the future.

I'm paying 20 mil a year for ONE year to buy myself time to explore my options by drafting a QB and seeing if there are better options. In no way would I believe in throwing 20 mil away to watch Cutler sit the bench, if I honestly thought no matter what he'd be the future backup

If I'm wrong and we found the next Franchise QB in the draft then so what we lost 20 mil and we have a brand new franchise QB!!!

Last edited:

bearbeav

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Re: 5 guys we have to resign

Sorry, 91.7 this year. Forgot he dropped some points in the Redskins game.

6 games u want to use. How bout his other games. Never happened?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
McCown played three QT's against a bad defense and still lost the game and you don't know if you can win without him

What the hell are you talking about? The Bears winning or not winning with McCown(read: w/o Cutler) doesn't matter in relation to who you'd bring in because that QB isn't here and shouldn't be judged in part because of how much McCown sucks or not.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Who has said or implied that?

The point is as well is Emery is a good GM like is purported around these parts and Trestman is such a QB guru then wouldn't the margin of error for finding a QB in the draft increase pretty dramatically?

No I understand those points but I rather not take such a gamble. So far I cant grade what Emery has done in the draft as I always give GM's three years before crucifying or praising their picks but if I had to emery has only hit on Alshon and maybe Long and as far as Trestman goes all we know is that Cutler has improved but people swear it's because the weapons around him. Question though: If McCown doesn't ddo shit in Cutler's absence is it because the QB guru couldn't get the most out of him or McCown just sucks?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not advocating that at all... See your value of cutler is different than what I value Cutler. I don't see it as paying 20 mil for a backup. I'm hoping Cutler wins the job because I honestly don't believe there's a QB in this draft better than Cutler right now. I'm drafting a QB incase Cutler isn't the future.
This fan base is so laughably short sighted. I would think this year is a pretty good indicator your SB window is closed. You have a lot of holes to fill on the depth chart and a lot of again guys to replace. You're no long dodging the injury bug. So because Derek Carr isn't better than Cutler in April 2014 you should give Cutler $20 million dollars regardless if you look at it and think 3-4 year from now Carr will be better?

Jesus Christ.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What the hell are you talking about? The Bears winning or not winning with McCown(read: w/o Cutler) doesn't matter in relation to who you'd bring in because that QB isn't here and shouldn't be judged in part because of how much McCown sucks or not.

And why do you say that? If trestman is a QB guru than any QB should do well under him including McCown. Wasn't Trestman brought in just to "fix" Cutler??

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No I understand those points but I rather not take such a gamble. So far I cant grade what Emery has done in the draft as I always give GM's three years before crucifying or praising their picks but if I had to emery has only hit on Alshon and maybe Long and as far as Trestman goes all we know is that Cutler has improved but people swear it's because the weapons around him. Question though: If McCown doesn't ddo shit in Cutler's absence is it because the QB guru couldn't get the most out of him or McCown just sucks?

Based on McCown's career arc I'd say it reinforces that he sucks. McCown hasn't done shit for a decade. I'm not going to lay 4 games at Trestman's feet.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This fan base is so laughably short sighted. I would think this year is a pretty good indicator your SB window is closed. You have a lot of holes to fill on the depth chart and a lot of again guys to replace. You're no long dodging the injury bug. So because Derek Carr isn't better than Cutler in April 2014 you should give Cutler $20 million dollars regardless if you look at it and think 3-4 year from now Carr will be better?

Jesus Christ.

Or you can re-sign Cutler and not to 20 mil or even 15 mil a year and still draft Carr and evaluate from there?

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:

Jesus Christ.

Ok so your against resigning him... your against franchising him... you think the Bears next franchise QB is in this upcoming draft? and do you believe if we release Cutler we have a better QB next year?

If your answer is yes then so be it. If not I don't think gambling on a mediocre draft class for your future is the answer without having a contingency plan.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's not $15. It's $20. And it's a pretty steep price when you look at how many holes the Bears need to fill in the coming seasons.
Yeah but its the quarterback position. Any other I would get, you gotta solidify that position or your team isnt going anywhere whether you fill other holes on the team or not.

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:

Jesus Christ.

I don't understand why you think it has to be either or... IT's Cutler or high water! It doesn't have to be, I think many fans aren't sold on the giving Cutler a long term deal but I don't think releasing an above average QB for a crap shoot draft is the answer.

bearbeav

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Re: 5 guys we have to resign

No. Mccown has always been a solid backup, nothing would surprise me if he played decent. But to move on for the Bears fans love affair of watching college highlight tape of qb's all offseason is damn stupid. Draft is a crapshoot, stop assuming if the Bears let Cut go they can just draft one and the guy shits out touchdowns

You are Cutlers biggest fanboy. So its hard to take your opinion without putting that into it. If he is willing to sign a reasonable deal for a 31 yr old QB who has been hurt the last seasons I'm fine with him staying, but I still believe you draft a QB in the First as your future, competition and as backup for oft-injured QB.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
6 games u want to use. How bout his other games. Never happens?

As a matter of fact yes. I use the most recent sample size, you know the one with the current players? Even in those other games, he was mid 80's rated, with a shitty offense surrounding him. Not every QB is Tom Brady, where you can surround them with shit and they still shine.