5 guys we have to re-sign

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How much of those 5 years do you put on Cutler?

:obama:

Irrelevant.

Not the point. Even if I put NONE of it on Cutler the events still happened. The injuries are still piling up. The inconsistent play is still there. Even if I jump to an extreme and say the Bears "broke" Cutler or whatever you still have to evaluate it from where we sit today and move forward. Is it completely fair to Cutler? No. Is it reality? Yes.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not everyone is Brady and the Patriots who win multiple.
I'm not demanding Cutler win multiple titles.

LOL.

Cutler isn't even Andy Dalton at this point.

With Cutler finally getting the pieces ready and the offense finally scoring a superbowl could be around the corner.
Too bad your defense now sucks and you have zero depth.
It took Favre 5 years to win his.
Favre was also the NFL MVP for three straight seasons during that stretch and won with the #1 defense in the NFL
Manning took 5 plus years with the colts etc.
Manning is arguably the GOAT.

Pretty poor examples to try and use to excuse Cutler's lack of productivity.

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:

Irrelevant.

Not the point. Even if I put NONE of it on Cutler the events still happened. The injuries are still piling up. The inconsistent play is still there. Even if I jump to an extreme and say the Bears "broke" Cutler or whatever you still have to evaluate it from where we sit today and move forward. Is it completely fair to Cutler? No. Is it reality? Yes.

Ok so with this assessment. You sit down and say do you think from this moment on we CAN or CANT win a Superbowl with Cutler?

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Irrelevant.

All those are true, and if that is the only way people were saying to move on from Cutler than it is legit. But to say the Bears struggle because of Cutler is what I was talking about. When people say that we have endured 5 years of Cutler, it sounds to me like people are trying to push the blame on him. Which is hardly the case. He has his faults, but the offensive talent for the past 5 years has been horrendous in almost all aspects.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ok so with this assessment. You sit down and say do you think from this moment on we CAN or CANT win a Superbowl with Cutler?
Anything is possible. So sure you "could" but I wouldn't bet on it with his play style, injury history, and now the depth and defense becoming pretty big problems.

All those are true, and if that is the only way people were saying to move on from Cutler than it is legit. But to say the Bears struggle because of Cutler is what I was talking about. When people say that we have endured 5 years of Cutler, it sounds to me like people are trying to push the blame on him. Which is hardly the case. He has his faults, but the offensive talent for the past 5 years has been horrendous in almost all aspects.
Even when Cutler had talent around him(last season, and this year) he wasn't overly impressive and was still pretty turnover prone. Oh, and injured again. Like I mentioned earlier, if you remove some garbage time production Cutler is pretty much who he always has been passer rating wise.

bearbeav

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Re: 5 guys we have to resign

Having this argument with you is pointless because what you value Cutler is completely different than how some of us value Cutler. You've ragged on Cutler for years now and you don't believe Cutler has what it takes to win a superbowl or get it done (which is fair) so in your mind cut ties with him now and move on.

Fans that still believe his lack of success was because of the pieces around him and coaching still think Cutler MAY or may NOT have what it takes to win us a superbowl. But aren't willing to throw away a CHANCE on a gamble in the draft.

I think u both are on extremes. It seems this yr has moved a lot more towards the middle. Not wanting to throw a ton of money at the guy but willing to ride him a few more yrs at a reasonable price(now that is were most differ) people who say 20mil I'm putting with the extreme KPJC crowed. Most also agree we should be looking to draft a QB this yr. I think reason so many have come towards the middle is, we have seen improvement in JC, but also have seen him make some of the same mistakes that have plagued his career. I would like to here others opinion on my assessment of the board.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think u both are on extremes. It seems this yr has moved a lot more towards the middle. Not wanting to throw a ton of money at the guy but willing to ride him a few more yrs at a reasonable price(now that is were most differ) people who say 20mil I'm putting with the extreme KPJC crowed. Most also agree we should be looking to draft a QB this yr. I think reason so many have come towards the middle is, we have seen improvement in JC, but also have seen him make some of the same mistakes that have plagued his career. I would like to here others opinion on my assessment of the board.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

:andruw:

What?

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anything is possible. So sure you "could" but I wouldn't bet on it with his play style, injury history, and now the depth and defense becoming pretty big problems.

Well there ya go. If you were GM and don't think Cutler gives you a good chance anymore then it would in fact be the right decision to move on. Emery will have to make that decision as well...

This why these "what if" or "what should happen" scenarios aren't good arguments because everyone has different value on what they see a certain player. If everyone is valuing a player different than obviously there isn't going to be a consensus on what to do with him, which is why it's good teams don't have multiple GMs. Me and you were never going to agree on what to do with Cutler because we value him completely different.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The real question is if next year is viable for a championship. If Emery doesn't think it is, then it would be foolish to resign him, imo.

Wootton, Slauson and Tillman deserve contracts, but beyond that it's a bunch of money and a lot of decisions.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Why would it?

Because Cutler and Marshall clearly have a good relationship dating back to their days in Denver and Cutler leaving town could make Marshall less inclined to stay when his current deal is up (at the end of next season, right?).

Before anyone tries to twist my words I'm not pointing out that you have to sign Cutler to keep Marshall in town. But to think that Cutler's departure won't have an effect on Marshall's mindset is a bit short-sighted, IMO.

sikesy7

martymcflyyyy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because Cutler and Marshall clearly have a good relationship dating back to their days in Denver and Cutler leaving town could make Marshall less inclined to stay when his current deal is up (at the end of next season, right?).

Before anyone tries to twist my words I'm not pointing out that you have to sign Cutler to keep Marshall in town. But to think that Cutler's departure won't have an effect on Marshall's mindset is a bit short-sighted, IMO.

I think you're right. Marshall wants a superbowl. If Cutler leaves than the QB is the most unstable position and he doesn't know if they drafted the next Luck or Gabbert and there's alot more shakyness. He sees the team getting older the defense diminishing he may be looking elsewhere to a more stable team not a rebuilding one.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I doubt he'd turn down an extension because Jay is leaving. These decisions are about the whole team and would be different if Jay was 25. The HC doesn't look at it that way, but Emery has to.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
:enough:

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I think you're right. Marshall wants a superbowl. If Cutler leaves than the QB is the most unstable position and he doesn't know if they drafted the next Luck or Gabbert and there's alot more shakyness. He sees the team getting older the defense diminishing he may be looking elsewhere to a more stable team not a rebuilding one.

Aside from deciding on Cutler's fate with the team, it's also probably a decision on whether or not the Bears go full rebuild or try and patch together the defense enough to possibly contend for a championship in the next few seasons. If Cutler goes, it's probably a full rebuild. Names like Hester, Briggs, Tilllman, etc. will most likely follow him in departure. There are other players on the fence that you have to make quick decisions on. Marshall is 29. Willing to bet he can hang on physically after a 2-3 year rebuild? You could even question the merits of shopping Forte, who'd be on the wrong side of 30 for a RB after the rebuild gets done.

Trestman has to be aware of this too, I'd think. If the Bears keep Cutler, he's got 2-3 years to turn him and that offense into a unit worthy of title contention, or he'll be leading the rest of them out the door in 2-3 seasons, provided that they don't start winning more. But if he commits to a lengthy rebuilding process, he could probably argue for a bit more time to develop the team.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Marshall is a professional. He's played without Cutler before and he can again, on a better team. The idea that two NFL players are so joined at the hip that they can't or won't play without each other is absurd.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Marshall is a professional. He's played without Cutler before and he can again, on a better team. The idea that two NFL players are so joined at the hip that they can't or won't play without each other is absurd.

Thanks for quoting the part about not twisting my words and then twisting my words.

I never said that Marshall wouldn't play without Cutler in Chicago. I just said he may be less inclined to re-sign with the team when his current deal expires if Cutler isn't the QB in Chicago.

How many contract extensions did Marshall sign in Denver after Cutler left town?

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Keeping Cutler and drafting a rookie seems like the safest, most reasonable move the Bears could make regarding a future QB for da Bears..It opens up the possibility of finding a great QB without the risk of losing a very good QB...No brainer IMO

I totally agree. Even if you take some cap hit, o'well, you do it.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I totally agree. Even if you take some cap hit, o'well, you do it.

But keeping Cutler is a huge cap hit that could hinder the team's ability to fix the myriad of holes on the defense. And while I agree with you and BearsBud that it's the safest option, I don't agree with BearsBud's assertion that it's a "No brainer" because of the salary cap ramifications.

I'm just glad I don't have to make the decision.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But keeping Cutler is a huge cap hit that could hinder the team's ability to fix the myriad of holes on the defense. And while I agree with you and BearsBud that it's the safest option, I don't agree with BearsBud's assertion that it's a "No brainer" because of the salary cap ramifications.

I'm just glad I don't have to make the decision.
And had that been any other position other than quarterback. I would agree 100%