5 takeaways from Mitch Trubisky's Thursday news conference

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Bears quarterback Mitch Trubisky was candid and insightful in his news conference Thursday that bridged the heartbreaking loss to the Packers to Monday night’s home opener against the Seahawks.

Here are five notable takeaways from the session:

1. Trubisky understands that the public is inclined to treat every game as a referendum on his capability as a franchise quarterback. But he leaves the hand-wringing to outsiders.

“I can’t let any game, any play define who I am as a player or as a person,” he said. “I’m continuing to grow and get better. Each opportunity is just another day to get better and continue to grow, but that’s how people are looking at it. We want immediate results, everybody — the media, the fans, myself — but unfortunately that’s not always part of it.

“So I’ve just got to continue to work, get better every single day and realize that’s the kind of level we’re at and those are the expectations. But I’m not going to hold any extra pressure over my head or do anything more. I’ve just got to do what I’ve got to do, and hopefully people will understand. But I think I understand the situation that I’m in and what all comes with it.”

2. Trubisky’s decision not to throw to uncovered tight end Trey Burton in the end zone on third-and-goal in the first quarter Sunday was a matter of risk-reward.

“I’m sure everyone saw what I saw, and they’re like, ‘Oh, Mitch, throw to the wide-open guy in the back of the end zone!’” Trubisky said. “Trust me, I wish I would (have).

“Tarik (Cohen) was the first option in the flat. It’s one of those plays where (you think), ‘How risky are you going to be? Are you going to take care of the football?’ I checked it down, we lost 5 yards, but we got three points out of it and went up 10-0. So that was the big positive takeaway for me.

“But moving forward, if I want to evolve into the quarterback I want to be, you’ve got to take the opportunity, and I’ve got to anticipate that even more. That wasn’t something that happened in practice at all that week. But you’ve got to know as a quarterback if that opens up, take your chances and get it to the guy wide open.

“But it’s a little less wide open when you’re playing it full (speed) on film. When you’ve got the still picture, which I’m sure a lot of people saw, it looks like I don’t know what I’m doing. Trust me, I’m hard on myself. You want touchdowns, not field goals. But I thought I put myself and my team in a good position in that instance, first quarter, check it down, three points, we’re up 10-0.”

3. Trubisky wants to change his mindset in two-minute drill situations after evaluating how he approached the failed final possession against the Packers.

“I was thinking: Try to make a big play, like win the game right here,” he said. “And it should have been for me personally, I think, just stack completions. Get one more completion, one more first down. And then when you get that first down, just another first down. And like we saw from the other team, you just dink it down underneath and a missed tackle can turn into a big play.

“I should have had more of a completion mindset instead of trying to do too much. And that comes from me. I’ve just got to stay within myself, stay within the offense, fire completions and move in the two-minute drill.

“It was a great learning experience. I don’t think you ever will get that exact situation in practice with the noise, the stage and all that. So it was a great learning experience for me and I’m definitely going to take it with me. I’m itching for the next two-minute drill in practice and in the next game, whenever, to prove myself and get the opportunity again. But I definitely have a new mindset: take care of the football but just move the ball down the field because we had plenty of time.”

4. After acknowledging he had “happy feet” at times against the Packers, Trubisky will focus this week on being calmer in the pocket.

“It comes from me wanting to take care of the football, and then not taking sacks,” Trubisky said. “Yes, (escaping the pocket) helps our offense in some areas, but it can also get me into trouble when I don’t need to. I’ve got to find a kind of happy medium. And in practice it’s going to be pocket movement, moving around defenders in the pocket and continuing to keep my eyes downfield so you can find receivers. You try to simulate that as much as possible, but the best place to do that is in the game. I just take a bunch of notes on the game film, and just keep in my head when would be a good time to move.

“But I’m going to continue to use my natural ability, keep plays alive, because there could be a lot more big plays from a scramble as well. But I’m trying to stay in the pocket and become a lot better passer in the pocket and continue to move around, very subtle movements with calm feet, to find receivers. That’d be something I’ll be working on in my career, but definitely more emphasis this week.”

5. Trubisky is mindful of controlling his emotions in situations like the Packers game, when opportunities are being missed.

“Sometimes it’s good to show emotions,” he said. “My teammates need to see even more that I’m locked in in intensity throughout the game and definitely at practice so they can feed off it.

“But there’s other times you just need to remain cool calm and collected, and I think that’s more natural and better, what I’m better at. But last year it was more, ‘Oh, he’s a rookie, growing pains.’ And then now it’s a little different because it’s like, ‘Oh, second year, why isn’t the offense exploding?’

“And I ask myself some of those same questions, ‘Why aren’t I playing as well as I’d like to?’ But if I’m too hard on myself, then I just get discouraged and then it goes from playing OK to playing worse, instead of, yeah, it’ll downward spiral.

“So just try to stay positive and just keep that belief that we’re going to get over the hump, and then we’ll start getting all the plays and everything that it’s designed for. Everything that I believe that I can do, and that this offense can do.”

-Rich Campbell - Chicago Tribune

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I take away from that Nagy told him to take the safe play more often than not. So everything he told us leading up to game 1 was a lie.

I'm more concerned about our HC growing into his role than I am our QB...

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Had he thrown to Burton and gifted the Packers 6 going the other way, we'd never hear the end of it from the Mitch haters on this site. Bearmick would be demanding the backups start on Monday like he did with every Cutler mistake.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
**BREAKING NEWS**

Mitch Trubisky is an inexperienced player who still has growing pains to go through, particularly in a new offensive system.

Amazing....usually babies hit the ground running, don't recall a crawl aspect...or process.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Had he thrown to Burton and gifted the Packers 6 going the other way, we'd never hear the end of it from the Mitch haters on this site. Bearmick would be demanding the backups start on Monday like he did with every Cutler mistake.

The obsession with me among you homers is really something.

FTR, the only backup I ever wanted in during the Cutler era was Josh McCown in 2013, because he was playing really well.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I thought that was an excellent press conference for Mitch. I look forward to seeing him next week.

He does seem to get it. I think he'll put together a better display over four quarters on Monday.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Amazing....usually babies hit the ground running, don't recall a crawl aspect...or process.

Watson, Mahomes, and Darnold all managed to hit the ground running just fine.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
**BREAKING NEWS**

Mitch Trubisky is an inexperienced player who still has growing pains to go through, particularly in a new offensive system.

Good for you and your sarcasm. Some of us actually want to hear what our QB has to say.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Had he thrown with anticipation or ran for the easy first down then you wouldn't hear from Bearmick because we would have one.

I love how people always cried about how conservative Fox was and then when Trubs practically admits he was too conservative, ya'll still want to cry about the haters.

Trubisky said everything the so called haters have been saying. Thank god, he is able to critically evaluate his play in a way that his stans seem incapable of doing. Now let's hope he can incorporate that constructive criticism into his game.

This is condescending. This infant and baby analogies aimed at defending Trubisky just come off as embarrassing. He is a fully grown man with over 20+ games at the College and NFL level starting. He also has several years of watching film. In the end, he will be judged against his peers in the NFL not as some baby or infant. It is like ya'll are mad people are evaluating him for the man and NFL QB that he is instead of treating him like a child.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So now Trubisky is talking about that there is no experience like game time experience. Maybe the Fucker should have played a few MORE friggin Quarters in preseason to get this SHIT behind him before the Green Bay Fuckin game.

The whole team reminds me of that metaphor where a woman is on the roof during a flood and people keep showing up to "Save Her" but she doesnt accept it. Even a helicopter at the end and then she dies.

Well THE Friggin Whole Team had Opportunities Gift Wrapped to them on many Occasions to fuckin PRODUCE a different Result... AND INSTEAD they did NOT SEIZE THE FUCKIN MOMENT.

TEAM Needs to get some fuckin Millisceond Inspiration and BECOME Champions that perform and not pee-ons

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm probably reading too much in but a late drive doesn't need to be and either/or of risk to win nor easy completions. He needs to be able to weight that shit on the fly. If he's not there yet, I'd rather see him winging it and use the tools god gave him.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So now Trubisky is talking about that there is no experience like game time experience. Maybe the Fucker should have played a few MORE friggin Quarters in preseason to get this SHIT behind him before the Green Bay Fuckin game.

I think that was a real mistake, for sure, but it was Nagy's mistake, not Trubisky's. I have no idea how he could possibly have thought the offense was as close to optimally ready as possible.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that was a real mistake, for sure, but it was Nagy's mistake, not Trubisky's. I have no idea how he could possibly have thought the offense was as close to optimally ready as possible.

Correct, it was Nagy's call obviously not Trubisky's. I applauded Nagy's decision at the time, and now agree it was a mistake. I guess I am just so frustrated with all the injuries the last few years it seemed like a good idea. But in retrospect, that line of thinking is distorted, because if none of your starters ever play, they will never get injured, that would solve the problem. But this is just not solid logic.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Watson, Mahomes, and Darnold all managed to hit the ground running just fine.

Watson didn't look good at all, I watched that entire game. Darnold threw a pick 6 , at no point was he running for his life and the Jet's Oline dominated the Lions. Mahomes had a good game.

I'm sorry but people re watch the game vs. the Packers and not a single person has commented on how trash our pass protection was.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I take away from that Nagy told him to take the safe play more often than not. So everything he told us leading up to game 1 was a lie.

I'm more concerned about our HC growing into his role than I am our QB...

I thanked you but for me, it's 'as' instead of 'more'.