5 takeaways from Mitch Trubisky's Thursday news conference

jcl2399

Liked Posts:
So I get people are freaking out after 1 game but do understand, it was the 1st game of the year. At the beginning of the year most people stated they would have been happy if we went 8 and 8. Just because the season started that doesn't change try and keep your emotions in check and be realistic when it comes to expectations. If you didn't watch the game and you woke up the next day knowing you almost beat your rival (as a true Bears fan, why in hell would you miss watching this game.. (just sayin))I bet most of you would be excited the direction we are headed.

This process takes time and time is something we actually have since the season JUST STARTED!!!! Also 3 years of keeping almost all of our core players will only give us more time to gel as a team. Reads will get easier players will just react to each other instead of guessing. Give it time friends give it time.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree, I think their game plan for Gabriel was hot garbage and not what you paid him for.

You hit Robinson for 25 yards and then only targeted him again that deep in the 2nd half.

They better throw to Gabriel deep before I see another WR screen go his away. Those should be going to Anthony Miller who plays with more physicality.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Agreed, I thought the best line was when he got pissed and said the Burton play makes him look like he doesn't know what he is doing.

I still say that play is not his fault because he saw it. He just didn't trust making that throw after seeing it a second too late. He clearly is being asked to keep it safe and not throw picks. I want him to make that throw even if a corner has a 50 percent chance of picking it because he has the arm. I just think Fox and Nagy instructed him to protect the ball to the point he is scared to unleash the ball. He'd rather take a sack at this point. I'm not sure reading defenses is more of a problem for him than reading his own team and scanning his progressions. He will get better, and if he busts, it will be because he can't make the throws.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They better throw to Gabriel deep before I see another WR screen go his away. Those should be going to Anthony Miller who plays with more physicality.

1 catch 31 yards, good

4 catches for -6 yards, what the hell

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jared Goff also started 3 years at Cal before coming into the NFL, he played for Sonny Dykes, who coached under Mike Leach at Texas Tech and the air raid offense. I think Jared Goff is/was years ahead of Mitch. I'm not saying Mitch can't do what Goff did last season, but I don't think we should expect that type of production from him this year. I hope I'm wrong.

Don't know but if this is the issue then perhaps you should factor that in before drafting him 2nd overall. I mean what you describe above (years away) seems to be more fitting of a late 1st round or 2nd round pick not the No 2 pick in the draft.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
The context I was replying in was to the point about QBs coming into the NFL hitting the ground running. That's an understatement regarding Watson's performance last year. Not only did he hit the ground running, he was a legitimate MVP candidate before his injury.

Darnold did throw a pick, but he completed 76% of his passes and threw two TDs in his first game, something Trubisky has yet to manage through 13.

right now go watch the tape of all of Darnolds throws and tell me how many had a jailbreak of pass rushers, there's a reason Trubisky got skittish...our Oline was horrid ...watch the every Trubisky throw...towards the end it's a complete collapse on the Oline…..any one of these QBs can sit back there and pick apart a defense when they have time

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
right now go watch the tape of all of Darnolds throws and tell me how many had a jailbreak of pass rushers, there's a reason Trubisky got skittish...our Oline was horrid ...watch the every Trubisky throw...towards the end it's a complete collapse on the Oline…..any one of these QBs can sit back there and pick apart a defense when they have time

Oh save it. I'm beyond tired of the same old narrative about how every other QBs' success comes on the back of all these endless benefits of ideal O-line/receivers/coaches to mitigate what they've managed to do, while the Bears guy never has any of the luck. Heard it for 8 long years with the last guy and already getting tired of it with the new one.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oh save it. I'm beyond tired of the same old narrative about how every other QBs' success comes on the back of all these endless benefits of ideal O-line/receivers/coaches to mitigate what they've managed to do, while the Bears guy never has any of the luck. Heard it for 8 long years with the last guy and already getting tired of it with the new one.

There is no talent excuse for Trubisky. This is a talented offense.

It will take some time for it all to jell, but that excuse is one that will have to fall on deaf ears at some point in the first 4-8 games.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There is no talent excuse for Trubisky. This is a talented offense.

It will take some time for it all to jell, but that excuse is one that will have to fall on deaf ears at some point in the first 4-8 games.
I know it takes time and my expectation is that it will improve as the season goes on. What I have no time for is the constant mitigating excuses for why other QBs can put it together. Darnold got to sit behind a wall of perfect protection and pick out his passes, Mahomes got a perfect system where he has it easy, Watson just throws jump balls which are miraculously grabbed by a PCP-induced Harlem Globetrotter receiving corps etc etc etc. It's the same shit we constantly heard for why Rivers/Ryan/Romo etc outplayed Cutler. It's just tiresome.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I can't disagree with that. It is all too painful. If the defense is bringing the safeties or corners in to blitz, you need to beat them deep once or twice and the whole game changes. We need to dictate that action. For those 8 years that you spoke of, the defense knows if you stop/limit Forte/Howard, our offense becomes anemic. What we have lacked except for a short period of time with McCown/Jeffery, was that intermediate and deep threat down the field that the defense actual fears. I believe we have the tools at this juncture to achieve this type of a thing.

I have absolutely no problem with Trubisky's development at this point of protecting the ball, avoiding sackes, throwing it away, etc. The time has come now, finally, to have a complete offense with the intermediate and deep threat as a portion of the offense which feeds on helping the other areas. Hopefully against Seattle (who is a perfect candidate for this) we at least attempt to accomplish this.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
So, he basically stated on television five things that probably a large part of this board knew at 12 years old.

He wanted to win the game on one throw at the end of the game??? We had over 2 minutes and 2 time out left!?!?! The least likely time to complete a home run against the defense is at the end of the game because teams don’t want to give up the big plays like we did for about a nine minute period.

This is more Cutler type talk, I hate to say it but he most certainly doesn’t sound like a leader of NFL men. He sounds like a little boy.

Trubisky, stop telling people all the Fans what you think we might want to hear and instead, say that you blew it at the end of the game when you had a chance to win with a FG. “I was terrible on that drive!” I’m sorry for letting my team down but I promise to NOT let this happen again. AGAIN, im sorry for letting every one down!

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Don't know but if this is the issue then perhaps you should factor that in before drafting him 2nd overall. I mean what you describe above (years away) seems to be more fitting of a late 1st round or 2nd round pick not the No 2 pick in the draft.

I agree. I wasn't a fan of drafting Mitch in the top 10, simply because he only started like 12 games in college. I didn't intend to describe "years away", but I can see how you'd come to that conclusion from my post. I think NFL development can be sped up with the right coaching. Is Nagy that guy? Going into last year, Goff was considered a bust, but then McVay turned his career around, I'm sure Goff worked his ass off too, but nonetheless, McVay appears to have struck a cord with Goff.

College is a developmental league to a degree, but they are more about winning games and making millions vs developing skill sets for NFL players. That's the truth, especially as the QB position. IMO, why it's so hard to hit on QB draft picks, there is so much projection with them and how they'll handle the NFL.

In the end, I hope as others have posted Mitch improves like Goff did throughout this season. If he doesn't have the same type of improvement this season as Goff, it might just be his 3rd year where he takes off due to reps and simply time. Who knows? I'm not claiming to have answers, just a worthless opinion on a messageboard.

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
So, he basically stated on television five things that probably a large part of this board knew at 12 years old.

He wanted to win the game on one throw at the end of the game??? We had over 2 minutes and 2 time out left!?!?! The least likely time to complete a home run against the defense is at the end of the game because teams don’t want to give up the big plays like we did for about a nine minute period.

This is more Cutler type talk, I hate to say it but he most certainly doesn’t sound like a leader of NFL men. He sounds like a little boy.

Trubisky, stop telling people all the Fans what you think we might want to hear and instead, say that you blew it at the end of the game when you had a chance to win with a FG. “I was terrible on that drive!” I’m sorry for letting my team down but I promise to NOT let this happen again. AGAIN, im sorry for letting every one down!

I don’t see how he sounded like Cutler at all.

staleystarch

Liked Posts:
Watson didn't look good at all, I watched that entire game. Darnold threw a pick 6 , at no point was he running for his life and the Jet's Oline dominated the Lions. Mahomes had a good game.

I'm sorry but people re watch the game vs. the Packers and not a single person has commented on how trash our pass protection was.

It did seem like he was getting a lot of quick heat from Massie's side. Not an excuse, Rodgers was getting just as much heat if not more, but he's Rodgers and Mitch is not.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I take nothing away from a press conference. I will judge him on how he performs on the field. Enough talking, I want to see wins.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No one says he will.

I think it reasonable to expect a similar development arch. Statistical improvements in the 2nd half of the season.

The system Goff ran was less complex.