5 takeaways from Mitch Trubisky's Thursday news conference

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know it takes time and my expectation is that it will improve as the season goes on. What I have no time for is the constant mitigating excuses for why other QBs can put it together. Darnold got to sit behind a wall of perfect protection and pick out his passes, Mahomes got a perfect system where he has it easy, Watson just throws jump balls which are miraculously grabbed by a PCP-induced Harlem Globetrotter receiving corps etc etc etc. It's the same shit we constantly heard for why Rivers/Ryan/Romo etc outplayed Cutler. It's just tiresome.

I agree.

After the bye week I am no longer going to consider new personnel a valid excuse. 4 games is more than enough time for guys to develop some chemistry.

I think the correct Darnold qualifier is that he played what appears to be a horrendous team that quit. Luckily we will get a side by side comparison of Darnold and Trubisky as they both play the Lions.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I know it takes time and my expectation is that it will improve as the season goes on. What I have no time for is the constant mitigating excuses for why other QBs can put it together. Darnold got to sit behind a wall of perfect protection and pick out his passes, Mahomes got a perfect system where he has it easy, Watson just throws jump balls which are miraculously grabbed by a PCP-induced Harlem Globetrotter receiving corps etc etc etc. It's the same shit we constantly heard for why Rivers/Ryan/Romo etc outplayed Cutler. It's just tiresome.

I've been watching Bears football for 45 years....and football in general.....watch this and suck it....he didn't have to throw 10 WR screens while running for his life most of the time, in fact...I'm going to say it now, Trubisky is better than Darnold...and I'm not a Mitch jock rider...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q-lSu8h3iI

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I’m still pissed at the game and he needs to improve a lot. He missed a lot of potential huge plays from what I saw the second time watching. But his film wasn’t that bad overall for the stage and competition.

It’s easy to watch film from high above and dissect plays. I bet if we watched every play at every position, Trubisky might not be near the top of shitty play.

We all need to try and be a little patient when it comes to QB development, myself included. It doesn’t help Trubisky or the Bears if we just boo and bash him all day long.

The team should actually feel confident after the intitial sting of losing. They were the better team for a much greater period of the game and would win 8 out of ten times given same circumstances. Live and learn, beat the shit out of the Seahawks

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
They better throw to Gabriel deep before I see another WR screen go his away. Those should be going to Anthony Miller who plays with more physicality.

What? Gabriel was the best screen guy in the NFL last year with ATL.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I've been watching Bears football for 45 years....and football in general.....watch this and suck it....he didn't have to throw 10 WR screens while running for his life most of the time, in fact...I'm going to say it now, Trubisky is better than Darnold...and I'm not a Mitch jock rider...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q-lSu8h3iI

Of course he is. How could I argue with someone who watched football in 1973?

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

What's tiresome is the same 'ol negative shit from the same 'ol negative Nancies. I don't know about other QB's, but Trubs was dodging bullets late in the game. I was actually impressed with his pocket movement avoiding the pressure.

He also had 0 picks. I also don't hear you bantering about Watson after his shitty performance. I'm sure that hurts your agenda.

You now use Darnold for your agenda because he played a Lion's team that absolutely sucked. I'll post one pic (thx Adi) showing the pressure Trubs was under. Notice Burton (FB) and Sims completely missing the outside rusher. Howard's block in the middle was terrible.

Trubs actually avoided the rush just fine, but also notice that zero WR's came back to help him. They are supposed to run right at Trubs when he's running, but they all ran to the other side of the field. Burton was terrible on this play, running around doing nothing. He should have chipped and been Trubs outlet to the right.

Trubs is taking a lot of heat by people like you that just don't know what they are talking about. One game is not enough to tell about a team or a player. Did people think that Cincy was just going to kick the Ravens ass last night? It takes a few games to know who the good teams are going to be.

Darnold and the Jets probably will suck the rest of the season while the Bears almost beat the #1 power rated team at the moment.

Your agenda against Trubisky is really what is tiresome! :flipa:

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Sitting through Cutler was definitely brutal and you knew he wasn't putting in any work to actually improve. People are exhausted from waiting on some miraculous turn around from Cutler and those same people are now unable to give Trubisky the light of day.

To me it just feels different with him. The kid is definitely not arrogant, and he knows he needs to play better, and he knows he has things he needs to improve on.

Also, there is a difference between a reason and an excuse.... Let's not act like poor O line play is an excuse, its a god damn justifiable reason for poor play. I think it is a justifiable reason to say that last year Trubisky had a shit scheme and shit weapons. This year it is still justifiable that he and everyone else are still learning the offense.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Jared Goff also started 3 years at Cal before coming into the NFL, he played for Sonny Dykes, who coached under Mike Leach at Texas Tech and the air raid offense. I think Jared Goff is/was years ahead of Mitch. I'm not saying Mitch can't do what Goff did last season, but I don't think we should expect that type of production from him this year. I hope I'm wrong.

See, this is what scares me about Tribisky. He literally had a year in college as a starting qb, and a year and 1 game as a pro qb. He is as green as yoda riding horseback on the hulk(turrible)........I mean everyone has to start somewhere, but the problem goes back to, IF this team is ready to win NOW(or next season), do they have time to babysit a qb as he learns? Is Nagy going to get the slack to 'coach him up' yet still get this team in the playoffs? Because if Tribisky doesn't look like he's improving, it makes Nagy look bad, and Nagy won't be around for long.

Given the state that the Bears are in, in my opinion, there is going to have to be a quick decision on if Tribisky is just very inexperienced, or just not very good.....

BEARS

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
A concerted effort implies more than one. One person alone cannot make a concerted effort.

Thanks, should have said conscious.

Wasn’t aware that there was a concern either with trolling by me or my other personality either.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I also don't hear you bantering about Watson after his shitty performance.

Why would I? As has been shown countless times now, you and the other homers are the ones with the Watson obsession. I'm not a Texans fan and therefore couldn't give a fuck what Watson does.

Your agenda against Trubisky

Grow up.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
If it’s me I’ll put in a concerted effort.

I agree. I wasn't a fan of drafting Mitch in the top 10, simply because he only started like 12 games in college. I didn't intend to describe "years away", but I can see how you'd come to that conclusion from my post. I think NFL development can be sped up with the right coaching. Is Nagy that guy? Going into last year, Goff was considered a bust, but then McVay turned his career around, I'm sure Goff worked his ass off too, but nonetheless, McVay appears to have struck a cord with Goff.

College is a developmental league to a degree, but they are more about winning games and making millions vs developing skill sets for NFL players. That's the truth, especially as the QB position. IMO, why it's so hard to hit on QB draft picks, there is so much projection with them and how they'll handle the NFL.

In the end, I hope as others have posted Mitch improves like Goff did throughout this season. If he doesn't have the same type of improvement this season as Goff, it might just be his 3rd year where he takes off due to reps and simply time. Who knows? I'm not claiming to have answers, just a worthless opinion on a messageboard.

To me this makes a lot of sense, but the thing is that if we are going to stand any chance at the post season things have to fall our direction while Mitch is getting the training wheels taken off.

If a couple of things had fallen differently in the second half we win the game and then everyone is talking about how great we did. The main key was Kyle Fuller missing the closeout interception. How does one QB consistently get lucky with shit like that and another doesn't?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
See, this is what scares me about Tribisky. He literally had a year in college as a starting qb, and a year and 1 game as a pro qb. He is as green as yoda riding horseback on the hulk(turrible)........I mean everyone has to start somewhere, but the problem goes back to, IF this team is ready to win NOW(or next season), do they have time to babysit a qb as he learns? Is Nagy going to get the slack to 'coach him up' yet still get this team in the playoffs? Because if Tribisky doesn't look like he's improving, it makes Nagy look bad, and Nagy won't be around for long.

Given the state that the Bears are in, in my opinion, there is going to have to be a quick decision on if Tribisky is just very inexperienced, or just not very good.....

BEARS

I think that is why they went out and got Mack, so they have basically a complete defense at this point that can take up some of the learning curve slack for Bitchell. Does he become a franchise qb? I have zero clue, I will tell you though that if he becomes even serviceable and the defense plays to its potential we should be in the hunt for a wild card spot. That alone buys everyone on the staff another year to try to get the offensive side of the ball running properly if it isn't already by seasons end.

We have very little turnover coming from either side of the ball as far as free agents over the next couple of years. I mention that because, to me, that is so much better of a position to be in than we were when Pace took over one of the oldest rosters in the league.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Why would I? As has been shown countless times now, you and the other homers are the ones with the Watson obsession. I'm not a Texans fan and therefore couldn't give a fuck what Watson does.

Grow up.

I dunno about that, You have been pretty trololol about how stupid we were to pass on Watson. Then slobbering all over him as the best Rookie QB last year, only to go radio silence after he jumped out to a dud of an opening week coming back from his second ACL tear.

Just own the fact that you prefer Watson over Bitchell, and also own the fact that Watson sucked last week. He may play lights out this week but you should still sit in the nest you made.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

Grow up.

I have never talked about Watson here unless it was a response to your posts. I only mentioned him in this thread because you mysteriously stopped talking about him after he sucked against NE, and all of a sudden started talking about Darnold, Mahomes, etc....

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I dunno about that, You have been pretty trololol about how stupid we were to pass on Watson. Then slobbering all over him as the best Rookie QB last year, only to go radio silence after he jumped out to a dud of an opening week coming back from his second ACL tear.

Just own the fact that you prefer Watson over Bitchell, and also own the fact that Watson sucked last week. He may play lights out this week but you should still sit in the nest you made.

I did slobber a bit last year, if that's the terminology you prefer, yes, as did most of America and all of the media. He was putting up a historic rookie season. If you're going to admire football at all, what's not to admire about that? Over the off-season I rarely if ever mentioned him, and almost all if not completely all of the times I have mentioned him has been in response to other posters bringing him up to me.

The Watson obsession on this board stems entirely from bitter Bears homers who hate the fact that some posters thought/think Watson is better (again, as does most of America - what's so controversial about this?), and that they had the audacity to acknowledge how well he did. This caused a burning resentment which is clearly still burning today. All I can say is grow up and get over it.

As far as last week goes, I've said several times in various threads that he had a bad a game. If you didn't see that, that's not my fault.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

:clap:

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
To me this makes a lot of sense, but the thing is that if we are going to stand any chance at the post season things have to fall our direction while Mitch is getting the training wheels taken off.

If a couple of things had fallen differently in the second half we win the game and then everyone is talking about how great we did. The main key was Kyle Fuller missing the closeout interception. How does one QB consistently get lucky with shit like that and another doesn't?

There's a reason some DB's don't get the chance to play WR growing up and turn into DB's for their playing careers... they can't catch. :lol:

Young QB's aren't nearly as consistent as their experienced peers, at least not regularly. I'm sure someone will give an example of one that was, but typically it takes some time to perform consistently. Mitch will improve this season (he better), but I'd be shocked if he duplicates Goff's 2nd year production. I just don't see it. If he develops, takes on more of the playbook, and improves as the season moves on, then I think that's a good 2nd year for Mitch. Year 3 is the year he better not be performing like he did against the Packers.

Here's a coaching cliche for you, "It's a process, Mitch is still figuring it out, but he's developing and progressing as we thought he would."