5 takeaways from Mitch Trubisky's Thursday news conference

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah Nagy talked a good game but then transformed into John Fox with the difference being he used the screen game instead of runs.

Sad thing is if he had gone Full Fox and ran more we probably win.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Watson didn't look good at all, I watched that entire game. Darnold threw a pick 6 , at no point was he running for his life and the Jet's Oline dominated the Lions. Mahomes had a good game.

I'm sorry but people re watch the game vs. the Packers and not a single person has commented on how trash our pass protection was.

The context I was replying in was to the point about QBs coming into the NFL hitting the ground running. That's an understatement regarding Watson's performance last year. Not only did he hit the ground running, he was a legitimate MVP candidate before his injury.

Darnold did throw a pick, but he completed 76% of his passes and threw two TDs in his first game, something Trubisky has yet to manage through 13.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Watson didn't look good at all, I watched that entire game. Darnold threw a pick 6 , at no point was he running for his life and the Jet's Oline dominated the Lions. Mahomes had a good game.

I'm sorry but people re watch the game vs. the Packers and not a single person has commented on how trash our pass protection was.

It wasn’t good.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
QB development is no linear. You do not start to get better and they stay on that path. They all go through ups and down and regressions.

Watson played terrible against NE, he was really bad and a huge part of the reason they didn't win with multiple turnovers. It was a regression from his big 4 games last season. My guess is if he had not gotten hurt we would have seen a regression last season as teams got more familiar with him and stopping him.

Darnold had a solid first game, it is being over loved, but we will see if he continues against a team that does not suck and has not quit before week 1.

Mahomes is in a great situation and you have to wonder if he is going to go on a more vertical development trajectory.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My guess is Mitch is going to go on a very similar path to Jared Goff, their situations are very similar.

Year 1: Horrible coaching and no talent around him

Year 2: New system, new weapons, and statistical improvements with some really mediocre games mixed in. Goff had a really nice season, but there were some just awful games mixed in

58% comp, 219 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

52.4%, 124 yards, 1 TD

46%, 288 yards, 2 INT, 1 Fumble

59%, 235 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In fact all 4 of those bad games from Goff came in the first 7 weeks of the new season.

Jared Goff Year 2 Pre-Bye Week [Games 1-7]

60.9%, 245 yards, 1.3 TDs, .7 Turnovers

Jared Goff Post Bye Week [8-15]

64%, 261 yards, 2.4 TDs, .6 Turnovers

I think that we should expect to see a similar trajectory to Goff. As Goff got more experience in the system and with his new weapons his statistical production went up.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My guess is Mitch is going to go on a very similar path to Jared Goff, their situations are very similar.

Year 1: Horrible coaching and no talent around him

Year 2: New system, new weapons, and statistical improvements with some really mediocre games mixed in. Goff had a really nice season, but there were some just awful games mixed in

58% comp, 219 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

52.4%, 124 yards, 1 TD

46%, 288 yards, 2 INT, 1 Fumble

59%, 235 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Do you honestly think Trubisky looks remotely capable of putting up the kind of year Goff had last year?

3,804 yards, 28 TDs, 7 ints, 100.5 rating and a highly impressive 8.0 yards per attempt?

I'm sorry, I think Trubisky will get better, but I don't think he has anything close to that in him. Especially the 28 TDs. That's a pro bowl standard season.

Last edited:

meangreek

Liked Posts:
In fact all 4 of those bad games from Goff came in the first 7 weeks of the new season.

It does seem for the 2nd pick of the draft, they sure want to cuddle him.

Makes me feel we picked the wrong guy but

Let him play and see what we got either shit or show

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It does seem for the 2nd pick of the draft, they sure want to cuddle him.

Makes me feel we picked the wrong guy but

Let him play and see what we got either shit or show

Everyone is learning and developing trust.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do you honestly think Trubisky looks remotely capable of putting up the kind of year Goff had last year?

3,804 yards, 28 TDs, 7 ints, 100.5 rating and a highly impressive 8.0 yards per attempt?

I'm sorry, I think Trubisky will get better, but I don't think he has anything close to that in him. That's a pro bowl standard season.

It might not be exactly the same, but I expect we will see a similar path.

Mediocre statistically start to the season followed by improvement in the 2nd half of the seasons.

I do not think statistically he put up those numbers, Trubisky is more raw than Goff and Nagy is more inexperienced as a play caller than McVay in a tougher division.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Jared Goff also started 3 years at Cal before coming into the NFL, he played for Sonny Dykes, who coached under Mike Leach at Texas Tech and the air raid offense. I think Jared Goff is/was years ahead of Mitch. I'm not saying Mitch can't do what Goff did last season, but I don't think we should expect that type of production from him this year. I hope I'm wrong.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Choir boy Mitch ALWAYS says all the right things. Now it’s time to produce ON the field.

You can start with your first multiple TD game of your career Monday Night.

PLEASE, for the love of God!!!!!

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Jared Goff also started 3 years at Cal before coming into the NFL, he played for Sonny Dykes, who coached under Mike Leach at Texas Tech and the air raid offense. I think Jared Goff is/was years ahead of Mitch. I'm not saying Mitch can't do what Goff did last season, but I don't think we should expect that type of production from him this year. I hope I'm wrong.

Less check down Charlie tendencies would help. I still disagree.

The weapons are in place. Once the offense starts pushing the ball down the field more I think the uptick in production will be there.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

I'm sorry, I think Trubisky will get better, but I don't think he has anything close to that in him. Especially the 28 TDs. That's a pro bowl standard season.

Goff's 2nd season opened up with 2 home games. He came out of those 2 games with 2 TDs v 1 INT.... It was against 2 weak teams, the Colts and Skins, both defenses finished in the bottom 5 in points against. After those 2 games, Goff didn't look like he'd finish with that stat line either... Chill the fuck out

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Goff's 2nd season opened up with 2 home games. He came out of those 2 games with 2 TDs v 1 INT.... It was against 2 weak teams, the Colts and Skins, both defenses finished in the bottom 5 in points against. After those 2 games, Goff didn't look like he'd finish with that stat line either... Chill the fuck out

I'm perfectly chill thanks, just pointing out that there's no way Trubisky is throwing 28 TDs, or anywhere close to that.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm perfectly chill thanks, just pointing out that there's no way Trubisky is throwing 28 TDs, or anywhere close to that.

No one says he will.

I think it reasonable to expect a similar development arch. Statistical improvements in the 2nd half of the season.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Mitch was a disappointment but I am glad he is being brutally honest about his performance and acknowledging it's not acceptable.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Less check down Charlie tendencies would help. I still disagree.

The weapons are in place. Once the offense starts pushing the ball down the field more I think the uptick in production will be there.

I agree, I think their game plan for Gabriel was hot garbage and not what you paid him for.

You hit Robinson for 25 yards and then only targeted him again that deep in the 2nd half.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mitch was a disappointment but I am glad he is being brutally honest about his performance and acknowledging it's not acceptable.

Agreed, I thought the best line was when he got pissed and said the Burton play makes him look like he doesn't know what he is doing.