5 takeaways from Mitch Trubisky's Thursday news conference

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I did slobber a bit last year, if that's the terminology you prefer, yes, as did most of America and all of the media. He was putting up a historic rookie season. If you're going to admire football at all, what's not to admire about that? Over the off-season I rarely if ever mentioned him, and almost all if not completely all of the times I have mentioned him has been in response to other posters bringing him up to me.

The Watson obsession on this board stems entirely from bitter Bears homers who hate the fact that some posters thought/think Watson is better (again, as does most of America - what's so controversial about this?), and that they had the audacity to acknowledge how well he did. This caused a burning resentment which is clearly still burning today. All I can say is grow up and get over it.

As far as last week goes, I've said several times in various threads that he had a bad a game. If you didn't see that, that's not my fault.

On my part there is no bitterness. I am happy with our pick I just wish we'd taken him at 3 instead of 2 and saved some picks in the process. That said America did go Watson crazy, but can you imagine what would've happened on this message board if we had another 1st round pick go down with a season ending injury? It would've been all fire and brimstone in here, especially if he came back and played like shit the first week of the next season.

Still though, you did talk a lot of smack about the mistake the Bears made by not selecting him. Whether or not it was in response to someone else' comment is irrelevant. Your opinion may prove correct or incorrect over time, just own it.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
On my part there is no bitterness. I am happy with our pick I just wish we'd taken him at 3 instead of 2 and saved some picks in the process. That said America did go Watson crazy, but can you imagine what would've happened on this message board if we had another 1st round pick go down with a season ending injury? It would've been all fire and brimstone in here, especially if he came back and played like shit the first week of the next season.

Still though, you did talk a lot of smack about the mistake the Bears made by not selecting him. Whether or not it was in response to someone else' comment is irrelevant. Your opinion may prove correct or incorrect over time, just own it.

You keep saying "just own it"? Own what? I've never denied that I think Watson is a better football player than Trubisky. Outside of Bears fandom, you'd have a hard time finding many people who think Trubisky is better. Again, this shouldn't be so controversial. I think Aaron Rodgers is better too, and Brady, and quite honestly, as things stand, about 30 other QBs. Right now I think Trubisky is one of the worst 3-5 starting QBs in the NFL. This is another thing you'd find a lot of agreement on among analysts and fans outside of Chicago. Wtf do you think I need to "just own"?

Nothing whatsoever I'm saying is far removed from common opinion, it's just a big deal on this board because CCS is mostly populated by homers who are emotional children when it comes to their superheroes.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
There's a reason some DB's don't get the chance to play WR growing up and turn into DB's for their playing careers... they can't catch. :lol:

Young QB's aren't nearly as consistent as their experienced peers, at least not regularly. I'm sure someone will give an example of one that was, but typically it takes some time to perform consistently. Mitch will improve this season (he better), but I'd be shocked if he duplicates Goff's 2nd year production. I just don't see it. If he develops, takes on more of the playbook, and improves as the season moves on, then I think that's a good 2nd year for Mitch. Year 3 is the year he better not be performing like he did against the Packers.

Here's a coaching cliche for you, "It's a process, Mitch is still figuring it out, but he's developing and progressing as we thought he would."

Yea, my bitch currently is that they need to be progressing him with plays that attack down the field rather than all this dink dunk bullshit that can generate some splash, but are also the easy to shut down.

I want the dink dunk stuff mixed with the running plays and then I want to see some shots. Why was BurTrey not used up the seam? Why didn't GayTabriel blow the top off? Why didn't we see AntMill get a shot or two?

It felt reserved, and that is unfortunate. We had plenty of reserved with Fox and crew. I want to see some borderline recklessness with some of this play calling.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yea, my bitch currently is that they need to be progressing him with plays that attack down the field rather than all this dink dunk bullshit that can generate some splash, but are also the easy to shut down.

I want the dink dunk stuff mixed with the running plays and then I want to see some shots. Why was BurTrey not used up the seam? Why didn't GayTabriel blow the top off? Why didn't we see AntMill get a shot or two?

It felt reserved, and that is unfortunate. We had plenty of reserved with Fox and crew. I want to see some borderline recklessness with some of this play calling.

Sure, but it's game 1 in a new system with a young QB coached by Fox and Loggains in his rookie year. So, I view this as his rookie season. I trust Nagy (Andy Reid tree) more than John Fox and Loggains with QB's. Reid and Nagy made Alex Smith look really good and consistent. Got him a nice contract with Washington too. I thought his career was over when he left the Niners. He was terrible.

Patience while they implement the offense, lets see what we have in 6-8 weeks after the bye week and some experience in this system. You can't speed up time, but good, quality coaching can help expedite some of this too. Hence my reference to McVay and Goff after Goff's rookie year, which he looked like a complete bust.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Sure, but it's game 1 in a new system with a young QB coached by Fox and Loggains in his rookie year. So, I view this as his rookie season. I trust Nagy (Andy Reid tree) more than John Fox and Loggains with QB's. Reid and Nagy made Alex Smith look really good and consistent. Got him a nice contract with Washington too. I thought his career was over when he left the Niners. He was terrible.

Patience while they implement the offense, lets see what we have in 6-8 weeks after the bye week and some experience in this system. You can't speed up time, but good, quality coaching can help expedite some of this too. Hence my reference to McVay and Goff after Goff's rookie year, which he looked like a complete bust.

I feel like I have been being patient through three regimes at this point. I am tired of that and want to see some results already!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
See, this is what scares me about Tribisky. He literally had a year in college as a starting qb, and a year and 1 game as a pro qb. He is as green as yoda riding horseback on the hulk(turrible)........I mean everyone has to start somewhere, but the problem goes back to, IF this team is ready to win NOW(or next season), do they have time to babysit a qb as he learns? Is Nagy going to get the slack to 'coach him up' yet still get this team in the playoffs? Because if Tribisky doesn't look like he's improving, it makes Nagy look bad, and Nagy won't be around for long.

Given the state that the Bears are in, in my opinion, there is going to have to be a quick decision on if Tribisky is just very inexperienced, or just not very good.....

BEARS

It just means that it could take more time.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I feel like I have been being patient through three regimes at this point. I am tired of that and want to see some results already!

Unfortunately, Nagy and Trubisky have to bear the failures of past regimes and a disgruntled fan base.

People want results and they want reassurance that this is not another Trestman or Fox, but that will only come with time. Even if they shit stomp Seattle I will want to see more.

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
I am not sure what in the hell you are talking about.

Gotcha. So you had no idea what the context of the discussion you inserted yourself into was. Then you took a shot at me. Just wanted to get the facts straight.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Gotcha. So you had no idea what the context of the discussion you inserted yourself into was. Then you took a shot at me. Just wanted to get the facts straight.

Hello, Kurtosis. Says you're from Norwood Park? I know a couple guys from there. Small world!

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
A word to the wise, mention of other message boards here will get you a quick trip to California.

Stay cool homie.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Understood, but I feel that clock starts over with each GM hire they make and partially over with each head coaching hire. Pace took the route of rebuilding this franchise on the backs of youth, not FA, so add the lack of experience factor into the timeline too.

Being impatient changes nothing with the rebuild Pace undertook or any decision the Bears make about this team. It'll simply drive you crazy and potentially away from being a Bears fan. Tough for me to worry or be upset about something I don't have any input about.

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
A word to the wise, mention of other message boards here will get you a quick trip to California.

Stay cool homie.

And I didn’t mention first bud, but thanks for the advice.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Understood, but I feel that clock starts over with each GM hire they make and partially over with each head coaching hire. Pace took the route of rebuilding this franchise on the backs of youth, not GA, so add the lack of experience factor into the timeline too.

Being impatient changes nothing with the rebuild Pace undertook or any decision the Bears make about this team. It'll simply drive you crazy and potentially away from being a Bears fan. Tough for me to worry or be upset about something I don't have any input about.
True, but this is the first time I've been mildly excited in six years!

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like what Trubisky had to say, and agree with you, Windy.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Trubisky has thoroughly impressed me with his off the field demeanor. Everything he's done or said in that regard has been excellent. An absolute professional with a certain confidence that makes you feel as if he could lead this team to do great things.

We just need to see it on the field now...

SouthSpawn

Liked Posts:
My guess is Mitch is going to go on a very similar path to Jared Goff, their situations are very similar.

Year 1: Horrible coaching and no talent around him

Year 2: New system, new weapons, and statistical improvements with some really mediocre games mixed in. Goff had a really nice season, but there were some just awful games mixed in

58% comp, 219 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

52.4%, 124 yards, 1 TD

46%, 288 yards, 2 INT, 1 Fumble

59%, 235 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Good post!