5 Thoughts and Observations on Dolphins-Bears

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Anything can happen. He could of got sacked, could of been a bad snap, the ball could get tipped and picked off or just could be a incomplete pass and if any of those things happened everyone would be on here killing Nagy for it. It's a no win situation. C.Parkey is something like 6 for 7 on 50+ yard kicks to and has hit a 50+ yard game winner in that Dolphins stadium before. Don't get me wrong cause i also would of rather he would of tried a pass or let Trubs roll out and run for some yards but Howard could of just as easily ran for 10 yards on that 3rd down as he could of getting stopped for no gain. He played it safe and trusted his kicker.

translation = he played not to lose.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Something really strange that was very noticeable was that MIA had those two huge RAC plays to Wilson where no Bear defender could catch him from behind. Yet, on the Bears side the Bears players seemed to no be able to kick it into another gear with the RAC; even Cohen couldn't break away from defenders when he got behind the defense.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy said right after the game, on the defensive and a bit annoyed, you do not risk a sack in that situation taking you out of field goal range. I am not saying that I agree or don't agree, just stating Nagy's stance.

I heard Nagy say that....Nagy was basically saying that he trusted Parkeys leg on 4th down more than he trusted Trubiskys arm on 3rd down to make the 1st down throw..He chose to play it safe..IMHO, that was a mistake....Especially since Parkey is suspect to begin with

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Any small detail that isn't routine to the kickers eye as he takes his steps to kick has potential to throw it completely off. He had the length on it. I just don't like relying on ST's, who barely see the field all game, to win it. It was still a make-able kick though

And again C.Parkey is 6-7 on 50+ yard field goals in his career.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I swear it was rigged. It was like the defense was told to take it easy this game, let's be fresh for that Pats...

1. Hicks didn't blow up the guard one time. Couldn't even hold his ground for the majority of the game.
2. Floyd REFUSED to use his hands when rushing, when i thought they " came alive ". He would literally jump into the arms of the tackle.
3. Mack took multiple plays off. Was held when he did try. He talked to the ref several times about it, didn't help.
4. Eddie Goldman was pushed backwards almost the entire game.
5. Trevathans worst game of the season by far. One play, he let his guy go free to come after Brock when he scrambled out, like he was afraid Giraffe 2.0 was going to scramble. Pie completion for 30 yards.
6. Is Amos even on the team anymore?
7. The amount of offensive picks and PI that the Phins were feasting on the entire game was just a smack in the face by the refs for calling Burton on it.
8. Brock played like absolute shit IMO. If there was a better QB back there, the Phins would have put up 50 points on this halfassed defense.
9. Props to Gase for exposing the lack of gap control. Too many Bears defenders being overly aggressive in trying to make a play, leaving their gap wide open. Gore's vision is stellar.
10. Bryce Callahan was a machine and they went after him hard. He was picked/blocked numerous times to be taken out of the play, and he still made some badass tackles. Bryce and Kyle played good, but they need to be right in there for the ass chewing.

9. Bro they weren't aggressive enough did you watch the game ? They had blockers coming from different angles to block our Dlinemen bullard played like ass Floyd played like ass mack was hurt(still double or triple teamed ane couldn't plant his foot) hicks was double teamed and or chip blocked or the play was going the other way on almost every run. Trevathan should be playing on the right side ILB position.... He sucks, so does smith but smith gets the rookie pass still.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
translation = he played not to lose.

He does that quite a bit..Thats my one big concern with Nagy....Plus, he seems to call a lot of E-W plays..I know you need em, but the object of the game is to go N-S to the goal line, not E-W to the sidelines

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There were a few more instances of this, throughout the game, were personnel groupings were a dead giveaway to what was about to be run. Particularly with KW being brought in as a blocker. I might be mistaken, but did they throw to him at all during the game? I don't think they did..........

No they didn't. Dude gets to sub crazy and fancy. I feel like we get at least one illegal formation call every game.

I get getting uber fancy when we are playing a superior team but we have more talent than the Dolphins on both sides of the ball. Sometimes you just need to trust your guys to make the play.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Nagy played to remove all risk which is playing not to lose. Howard was a dead giveaway in that situation, unless it was a RPO--which was working well but instead it was a straight up the gut John Fox/Lovie Smith call.

it was to the backside of the line and there were like 3 dolphin defenders waiting....

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I saw our first round pick miss more than one tackles

I'd love to know who was responsible for Gore getting 5YPC right up the middle..Im not that knowledgeable on a 3-4..In a 4-3 there is a MLB who basically has that responsibility..I wish someone would explain who has that responsibility in a 3-4

dennehy

Liked Posts:
And again C.Parkey is 6-7 on 50+ yard field goals in his career.

That's a pretty small sample size though. He's also 18-27 from 40-49 yards coming into this year. And it was one yard shorter than his career long with huge pressure.

It was makeable, obviously, but I think you gotta be a bit more creative to try to get the first down there.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Nagy had 1 bad play call the entire game. It just happened to be the last offensive snap of the game. He was pure genius on offense the entire game besides that. Even in the first half where the Dolphins had some sensational tackles on Gabriel and Cohen to prevent huge gains.

By biggest take away though is that this is the 2nd game in a row that Trubisky has looked like the leader of the team out there. This one on the road vs a better defense than Tampa. He wasn't perfect but he drove us down for the go ahead TD in crunch time after they tied it... Then they tied it again on 1 play! and he looked poised to drive us down again but Cohen fumbled at midfield.

I think we are in a lot better position than a team like Jacksonville btw.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Game at LA...nice try

So did he hit a 50+ yard field goal to win the game and is he 6-7 on 50+ yard field goals? It doesn't matter that it wasn't in Miami, he still has hit a 54 yard game winning field goal which was my point on why maybe Nagy had some trust in the kid. Out of all that you get that it wasn't in Miami...lol.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Something really strange that was very noticeable was that MIA had those two huge RAC plays to Wilson where no Bear defender could catch him from behind. Yet, on the Bears side the Bears players seemed to no be able to kick it into another gear with the RAC; even Cohen couldn't break away from defenders when he got behind the defense.

i think that was one of the keys to the game...the poor play of the Bears safeties. On one of the Wilson RAC plays, Amos completely whiffs on the tackle to such a degree that he doesn't even slow Wilson down, and Jackson literally stops chasing him halfway downfield. The other Wilson RAC play had Jackson completely whiff on the tackle and Amos is being blocked to the sideline for the duration of the play 50 yards downfield.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy had 1 bad play call the entire game. It just happened to be the last offensive snap of the game. He was pure genius on offense the entire game besides that. Even in the first half where the Dolphins had some sensational tackles on Gabriel and Cohen to prevent huge gains.

By biggest take away though is that this is the 2nd game in a row that Trubisky has looked like the leader of the team out there. This one on the road vs a better defense than Tampa. He wasn't perfect but he drove us down for the go ahead TD in crunch time after they tied it... Then they tied it again on 1 play! and he looked poised to drive us down again but Cohen fumbled at midfield.

I think we are in a lot better position than a team like Jacksonville btw.

I agree about Trubisky..He made some really nice throws in the 2nd half and looked like a leader..That whole offense is progressing..Im hoping that the D just had a bad game and can put it behind them

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
So did he hit a 50+ yard field goal to win the game and is he 6-7 on 50+ yard field goals? It doesn't matter that it wasn't in Miami, he still has hit a 54 yard game winning field goal which was my point on why maybe Nagy had some trust in the kid. Out of all that you get that it wasn't in Miami...lol.

Again, hard to make long-distance FGs at Miami's stadium. Not sure what you aren't understanding about this. Stadium is a huge factor in 50+ yard FGs. When Parkey lined up to attempt the FG, I definitely wasn't thinking "This game is over"...its 50/50 at best without the pressure.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
That's a pretty small sample size though. He's also 18-27 from 40-49 yards coming into this year. And it was one yard shorter than his career long with huge pressure.

It was makeable, obviously, but I think you gotta be a bit more creative to try to get the first down there.

Which i said in a previous post but i also understand and have seen soooooooo many times teams pass when they could of ran the ball and something go wrong to lose them the game because they decided to pass the ball. There's always two sides but many on here don't like looking at the other side. If it's a bad snap and a fumble or the ball gets tipped by a o-lineman and the pass and gets intercepted or it's a drop by the receiver or just a great play by a DB and it gets intercepted which we can look at Pete Carrol losing a super bowl because of passing instead of running.