5 Thoughts and Observations on Dolphins-Bears

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Which i said in a previous post but i also understand and have seen soooooooo many times teams pass when they could of ran the ball and something go wrong to lose them the game because they decided to pass the ball. There's always two sides but many on here don't like looking at the other side. If it's a bad snap and a fumble or the ball gets tipped by a o-lineman and the pass and gets intercepted or it's a drop by the receiver or just a great play by a DB and it gets intercepted which we can look at Pete Carrol losing a super bowl because of passing instead of running.

I honestly cannot recall an NFL team "stalling out" in OT to setup a 53-yard FG attempt. Even with a kicker as decorated as Cody Parkey.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I honestly cannot recall an NFL team "stalling out" in OT to setup a 53-yard FG attempt. Even with a kicker as decorated as Cody Parkey.

It's tough to argue with that. I don't recall that either.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Again, hard to make long-distance FGs at Miami's stadium. Not sure what you aren't understanding about this. Stadium is a huge factor in 50+ yard FGs. When Parkey lined up to attempt the FG, I definitely wasn't thinking "This game is over"...its 50/50 at best without the pressure.

And it's also the place/team/stadium that he was kicking in last year so there's an obvious comfort level for him there and again....he's 6-7 with 50+ yard field goals in his career so if i'm not mistaken that a very good percentage. We can go back and forth on this all day but there's plenty of advantages he had with kicking in that stadium and with 50+ yarders but a 50+ yarder is never a given even though he is 6-7 in his career with them.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
9. Bro they weren't aggressive enough did you watch the game ? They had blockers coming from different angles to block our Dlinemen bullard played like ass Floyd played like ass mack was hurt(still double or triple teamed ane couldn't plant his foot) hicks was double teamed and or chip blocked or the play was going the other way on almost every run. Trevathan should be playing on the right side ILB position.... He sucks, so does smith but smith gets the rookie pass still.

Bro, overly agressive (undisciplined) in trying to make a play takes less effort than holding your blocker and staying in your gap. It takes the player away from action more times than not.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Not sure what you mean by "stalling out" but they did try to get more yards on that Howard run so they didn't intentionally try to make it a 53 yard field goal and Howard was running well up the middle in the OT.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
And it's also the place/team/stadium that he was kicking in last year so there's an obvious comfort level for him there and again....he's 6-7 with 50+ yard field goals in his career so if i'm not mistaken that a very good percentage. We can go back and forth on this all day but there's plenty of advantages he had with kicking in that stadium and with 50+ yarders but a 50+ yarder is never a given even though he is 6-7 in his career with them.

But none of those 6 came in Miami's stadium. There is nothing to "go back and forth on"...Parkey never has been successful on a 50+ yard attempt in Miami's stadium, despite having played for the Dolphins. Nagy shouldn't have settled for a 53-yard FG attempt.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wonder if there was an advantage for Miami starting Osweiler(just threw up saying that) only because of how late the change was made and the Bears really weren't prepared for how Gase would call the game with Brock vs how Gase would call things with Tannehill.

Overall a crappy road performance that neither team really deserved to win.

First half was discouraging coming out that flat, but it was a positive for a young HC and young QB to adjust so well at the half and play really well in the 2nd half and rebound. The defense was disappointing but if you look at any great defense they had a turd game(or more) during a season. Shit happens.

To me the bounce back from Nagy and Trubisky was more positive than the loss was devastating.

This season will be decided by the upcoming 5 divisional games and a couple of big NFC games. We need 10 and Nagy ready for those ones more than Miami.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Anything can happen. He could of got sacked, could of been a bad snap, the ball could get tipped and picked off or just could be a incomplete pass and if any of those things happened everyone would be on here killing Nagy for it. It's a no win situation. C.Parkey is something like 6 for 7 on 50+ yard kicks to and has hit a 50+ yard game winner in that Dolphins stadium before. Don't get me wrong cause i also would of rather he would of tried a pass or let Trubs roll out and run for some yards but Howard could of just as easily ran for 10 yards on that 3rd down as he could of getting stopped for no gain. He played it safe and trusted his kicker.

This is scary football. No one gives a shit if people complain. They complain no matter what. The issue is what is the best chance for success.

A 53 yard field goal is never a gimme. Further Trubs had been playing well the 2nd half while Parkey had attempted 0 FGs.

So Nagy not only fucked Parkey by making his kick harder than it had to be but he also fucked Trubs by not giving him a chance to get the 1st.

Worse is the dude talks about being aggressive but he is not when it matters. There isn't an aggressive coach in the NFL who doesn't throw in that situation particularly with a QB playing like Trubs played the 2nd half.

And there wasn't a fan anywhere near me who saw Howard and didnt known it was a run. Again we had been using Cohen on 3rd and short most downs so it was obvious the play call was for a Howard run.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
But none of those 6 came in Miami's stadium. There is nothing to "go back and forth on"...Parkey never has been successful on a 50+ yard attempt in Miami's stadium, despite having played for the Dolphins. Nagy shouldn't have settled for a 53-yard FG attempt.

Holy crap how do you not understand when it seems so simple. First of all Nagy did not settle for a 53 yard field goal. He didn't go to J.Howard and say "Hey Jordan lets get a no gain on this one." lol. Parkey still has a comfort level with kicking in the place he just kicked in last year right? Maybe a better snap would of helped as well cause he didn't miss it by much. I'm sure you're gonna say the snap didn't matter but when any kicker sees a bad snap it definitely is in their mind for those 2 seconds before he kicks that ball.

As i already said i would of rather he tried something else to get more yards or the first down as well but i also without a doubt get playing it safe in OT.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I heard Nagy say that....Nagy was basically saying that he trusted Parkeys leg on 4th down more than he trusted Trubiskys arm on 3rd down to make the 1st down throw..He chose to play it safe..IMHO, that was a mistake....Especially since Parkey is suspect to begin with

Nagy fell into the trap that most NFL coaches do, they get nervous and settle for a FG try and a 50/50 chance to win the game.

I hope he learns from it and realizes that you keep throwing the ball. The QB was hot and on top of it he can run. There is 2 positive things that can happen a completion or a QB run.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nagy settled for a 53 yard field goal.

When he called a run on 3rd down with Miami selling out to stop the run he was content on gaining no yards and kicking the ball. He was afraid of a penalty or a sack and not getting to kick the ball.

It is a makeable kick for many kickers, but Parkey's career long in Miami is 49.

In the future hopefully he does not do that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nagy fell into the trap that most NFL coaches do, they get nervous and settle for a FG try and a 50/50 chance to win the game.

I hope he learns from it and realizes that you keep throwing the ball. The QB was hot and on top of it he can run. There is 2 positive things that can happen a completion or a QB run.

Exactly play action and/or roll him outside and make the defense choose.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

That's just it. He has to learn from the mistake. He called a great game overall... especially the 2nd half adjustments. He is a rookie coach and will make a few mistakes.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Holy crap how do you not understand when it seems so simple. First of all Nagy did not settle for a 53 yard field goal. He didn't go to J.Howard and say "Hey Jordan lets get a no gain on this one." lol. Parkey still has a comfort level with kicking in the place he just kicked in last year right? Maybe a better snap would of helped as well cause he didn't miss it by much. I'm sure you're gonna say the snap didn't matter but when any kicker sees a bad snap it definitely is in their mind for those 2 seconds before he kicks that ball.

As i already said i would of rather he tried something else to get more yards or the first down as well but i also without a doubt get playing it safe in OT.
I personally think he did settle for the long FG. Think about this, at what point in the game, or any game this year, has Nagy called 3 run plays in a row?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
If he wanted to give to Howard there, he should have lined him up wide in a 5 WR empty backfield. Then put him in motion. He did this on 3rd and 2 earlier in the game Howard picked up the 1st with ease.