5 Thoughts and Observations on Dolphins-Bears

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I compared Nagy to Trestman from the get go. And don’t really care if Mack got an ouchie on his ankle. Should be able to suck it up and get something... anything....done. Did Gruden know exactly what he was doing when he refused to pay this guy a king’s ransom or what?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Of course you can't.

And that's not really what happened. 3 straight runs up the middle for a team that piled up a ton of passing yards in the 2nd half. I've never seen a team stall out for such a long FG attempt (53 yards...not 50).

Also, it wasn't the end of regulation. It wasn't the "end of OT" if that is what you were insinuating. That was also a big part of the "miscalculation"...by missing a FG from that far out, it basically put Miami into FG range themselves. The Bears would have been better off trying to get another 1st down, having Trubisky get sacked, and then punting the ball back to Miami. Miami's game winning drive was really just a 15-yard dump off pass to Kenyan Drake.

It was a mistake. I just didn't think that when he ran and got stuffed that it was some "OMG, no coach has ever done this ever!" moment. If you think that, ok that's fine. I just have watched more football than you.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I compared Nagy to Trestman from the get go. And don’t really care if Mack got an ouchie on his ankle. Should be able to suck it up and get something... anything....done. Did Gruden know exactly what he was doing when he refused to pay this guy a king’s ransom or what?

Mack was busting his ass out there. Got held a few times. Officials were not calling anything on the lines all day.

You want him to be fucking superman. You live in this fantasy that he needs to have 2-3 sacks every game and become the greatest athlete in this history of the world.

It would be one thing if he hurt his ankle and packed it up and didn't return or took plays off. If you watched him out there and not just the QB or the ball, you would know that he was busting ass against double and triple teams.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Mack was busting his ass out there. Got held a few times. Officials were not calling anything on the lines all day.

You want him to be fucking superman. You live in this fantasy that he needs to have 2-3 sacks every game and become the greatest athlete in this history of the world.

It would be one thing if he hurt his ankle and packed it up and didn't return or took plays off. If you watched him out there and not just the QB or the ball, you would know that he was busting ass against double and triple teams.
I saw Mack dropping into coverage and/or spying the QB a lot this game...

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
It was a mistake. I just didn't think that when he ran and got stuffed that it was some "OMG, no coach has ever done this ever!" moment. If you think that, ok that's fine. I just have watched more football than you.

You can't be serious.

First, yes, "I think that". Second, you say that teams (plural) have done this before, but cannot recall a single instance. Third, your 'characterization' of what actually happened in overtime leads me to think you didn't even watch THIS game, much less "more football than" me.

Give it a rest.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

I guess I could be a mamby pamby like you and pretend Mack did anything or make the other lame excuses..... no, no I can’t. Too pathetic.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I suppose if you watching 1970e football. I dont even recall John Fox being that conservative that far out and he had less talent.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I suppose if you watching 1970e football. I dont even recall John Fox being that conservative that far out and he had less talent.

LOL, did you know watch any John Fox led games then?? The hyperbole on this board is reaching critical mass...

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL, did you know watch any John Fox led games then?? The hyperbole on this board is reaching critical mass...

Ok go find me a game where Fox ran 3 times and settled for a 53 yard FG.

He obviously was conservative but not like that. Even he would do the run, run pass not run run run outside the 30 yard line when he needs a FG to win.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agree with all but I don't expect the wheels to come off. I also wasn't thrilled with the Nagy due to his clock decisions and some periods of play sequencing.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Ok go find me a game where Fox ran 3 times and settled for a 53 yard FG.

He obviously was conservative but not like that. Even he would do the run, run pass not run run run outside the 30 yard line when he needs a FG to win.

Fox was worse. Much more conservative.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
We will find out more about the Trestman Nagy comparison next week. Remember when we gave up 50 to the packers and then came out and laid down for Brady to do whatever he wanted and drop another 50. If Nagy is a quality HC and not the second coming of Trestman, he will absolutely not let this team come out flat and with no emotion again. I’m not saying we have to win but we have to look like we belong on the same field as them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
You can't be serious.

First, yes, "I think that". Second, you say that teams (plural) have done this before, but cannot recall a single instance. Third, your 'characterization' of what actually happened in overtime leads me to think you didn't even watch THIS game, much less "more football than" me.

Give it a rest.

They had 2 long runs with Howard of 15+ to get to the Miami 40. He then went out for a breather. Because of those 2 runs, I had no problem running on 1st and 2nd down because it A) it was effective, B) it gets you into makeable FG range and c) gets you closer to being able to run the clock down so worst case scenario is a tie.

So the only truly bad conservative call was the 3rd down run. Therefore, I am using the parameters of a HC settling for a FG by running on 3rd down to kick a long FG. I am confident that in all my years of watching football that this has happened. Sorry that I can't remember the SPECIFIC game.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
We will find out more about the Trestman Nagy comparison next week. Remember when we gave up 50 to the packers and then came out and laid down for Brady to do whatever he wanted and drop another 50. If Nagy is a quality HC and not the second coming of Trestman, he will absolutely not let this team come out flat and with no emotion again. I’m not saying we have to win but we have to look like we belong on the same field as them.

The offense seemed to be playing with plenty of emotion. The defense looked like they had been at South Beach until kickoff.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
The offense seemed to be playing with plenty of emotion. The defense looked like they had been at South Beach until kickoff.

The offense did not look good at all until half time. I don’t know if it was a lack of execution, bad play calling, maybe 1st half after bye week jitters but they didn’t look ready to go either.
Edit: they also deserve credit for being able to turn it around though.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
They had 2 long runs with Howard of 15+ to get to the Miami 40. He then went out for a breather. Because of those 2 runs, I had no problem running on 1st and 2nd down because it A) it was effective, B) it gets you into makeable FG range and c) gets you closer to being able to run the clock down so worst case scenario is a tie.

So the only truly bad conservative call was the 3rd down run. Therefore, I am using the parameters of a HC settling for a FG by running on 3rd down to kick a long FG. I am confident that in all my years of watching football that this has happened. Sorry that I can't remember the SPECIFIC game.

You keep changing your story, yet it still makes no sense.

First, the Miami 40 equates with a 57-yard FG attempt. Two runs isn't really a guarantee to getting into makeable FG range.

Second, the Bears weren't "running the clock down" as they took a timeout after 1st down.

Third, I would argue that the Bears should have called a TO after Howard's run before 1st down so that he could get his 'breather' and remain in the game.

Fourth, the two up the middle runs weren't by Howard, they were by Cunningham and Cohen (LOL).

Fifth, but not having Howard in for 1st and 2nd down but inserting him into the game on a 3rd down passing situation, you are telegraphing your intent to the Dolphins D. There was no element of surprise by having the Dolphins expecting a pass.

Sixth, you STILL can't recall an instance of an NFL coach stalling out to attempt a 53-yard FG.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

Fox did something worse.

On Thanksgiving 2015 (the game we actually beat the Packers), he ran the ball 3 times in a row with 3 minutes to guarantee to give the ball back to Aaron Rodgers where a TD beats us.

Low scoring game you say? He did this again a year later in a shootout against Detroit at their place where it backfired and they won the game.

I think running 3 plays to force the timeouts where the other team has a good QB is far worse than what Nagy did. I hate that conservativeness mroe than anything.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fox did something worse.

On Thanksgiving 2015 (the game we actually beat the Packers), he ran the ball 3 times in a row with 3 minutes to guarantee to give the ball back to Aaron Rodgers where a TD beats us.

Low scoring game you say? He did this again a year later in a shootout against Detroit at their place where it backfired and they won the game.

I think running 3 plays to force the timeouts where the other team has a good QB is far worse than what Nagy did. I hate that conservativeness mroe than anything.

Yes I know he had done stuff like that. I am referring specifically to run 3 times to kick a long ass FG.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
You keep changing your story, yet it still makes no sense.

First, the Miami 40 equates with a 57-yard FG attempt. Two runs isn't really a guarantee to getting into makeable FG range.

Second, the Bears weren't "running the clock down" as they took a timeout after 1st down.

Third, I would argue that the Bears should have called a TO after Howard's run before 1st down so that he could get his 'breather' and remain in the game.

Fourth, the two up the middle runs weren't by Howard, they were by Cunningham and Cohen (LOL).

Fifth, but not having Howard in for 1st and 2nd down but inserting him into the game on a 3rd down passing situation, you are telegraphing your intent to the Dolphins D. There was no element of surprise by having the Dolphins expecting a pass.

Sixth, you STILL can't recall an instance of an NFL coach stalling out to attempt a 53-yard FG.

The bottom line is the running game was effective to get on that side of the field. I have no problem sticking with it there on 1st and 2nd down.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fox was worse. Much more conservative.

Again I agree he was worse and much more conservative overall. I still dont recall him being conservative in this particular situation here.