5 Thoughts and Observations on Dolphins-Bears

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Depends on whether yall keep making excuses or not.

Benny should not be on the field in crunch time. If Howard needs a break then you put Cohen in there and run a play that suits him or better yet pass the ball.

No one said Nagy isn't doing fine. I am discussing this one game not commenting on his entire coaching career or potential.

Not sure why yall get whiny because people discuss the game. You can stop responding with excuses anytime you want and then I will have nothing to respond too.

That series was just a mess.

-I agree that Benny Cunningham was a weird call, not because he is not reliable, but Cohen was averaging 5.9 YPC.
-3rd down they needed to throw the ball. There are only so many times that a team is going to allow you to run the exact same look at them before they sell out to stop it. Play action, roll out, you have a mobile QB who can get major yardage with his feet or he completes an easy pass and you are killing the clock and kicking a 45 yarder.
-I read in a couple of spots that all of Parkey's kicks were tailing of right all game. Run the ball to the left and at least center the ball or get to the left hash and play to the slice.

It was a brutal series for him from personnel to decision making.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
That series was just a mess.

-I agree that Benny Cunningham was a weird call, not because he is not reliable, but Cohen was averaging 5.9 YPC.
-3rd down they needed to throw the ball. There are only so many times that a team is going to allow you to run the exact same look at them before they sell out to stop it. Play action, roll out, you have a mobile QB who can get major yardage with his feet or he completes an easy pass and you are killing the clock and kicking a 45 yarder.
-I read in a couple of spots that all of Parkey's kicks were tailing of right all game. Run the ball to the left and at least center the ball or get to the left hash and play to the slice.

It was a brutal series for him from personnel to decision making.

I suspect Nagy knows he screwed the pooch on that last series. However, if the D had any gumption yesterday it never would have come to that

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
A 4 yard run on 2nd and 8 is not a terrible result. Cohen went for two the play before. But 5 runs off right guard in a row is never a great idea.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
A 4 yard run on 2nd and 8 is not a terrible result. Cohen went for two the play before. But 5 runs off right guard in a row is never a great idea.

Again this is hindsight. I dont care if Benny got -5 or ran for a TD.

He is the 8th best playmaker on the team. When Nagy makes the call he doesnt know what Benny will get. The point is Benny is like the 8th best option on that down.

For all we know Cohen gets 10 on that play or Trubs scrambles for 10 or throws to Arob, Cohen, Gab, Miller, or Burton for 15.

There were much better choices. Period. Benny should be spelling guys early in the game not getting carries late. It is about giving your team the best chance to win. That is not Benny.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Irrational fans like to use the word choke.
What do you call missing a field goal in overtime to win it?

This was almost the exact definition of a choke job..

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Did anyone else know that the game was over when Osweiler's pass got deflected off a Bear defender (Amos) and deflected right to the deeper WR (second pass of 10+ yards all game btw)? I believe that was on 3rd down also... It just wasn't meant to be.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Momentum was not changed until Trubs threw the dumb pick. Penalties and bad calls happen. The Bears were still in great position to score and had 3 chances on what would be first and goal at the 13. Trubs decided he wanted to get it all back on one play.

That was the VERY NEXT play. The very next play should have been an extra point attempt, not an offensive play.

So, yea. Gonna stick with: Momentum was changed on the bad call. Like I said.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That was the VERY NEXT play. The very next play should have been an extra point attempt, not an offensive play.

So, yea. Gonna stick with: Momentum was changed on the bad call. Like I said.

That play had no influence on the dumb pick. Trubs had all day to throw and had Cohen open underneath. Could easily have taken the yards on 1st and goal and lived for 2 more downs.

A momentum shift would be if Bears were panicked or Dolphins had been put in a frenzy and came after Trubs. Trubs calmly surveyed the field and inexplicably threw into double coverage.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
That play had no influence on the dumb pick. Trubs had all day to throw and had Cohen open underneath. Could easily have taken the yards on 1st and goal and lived for 2 more downs.

A momentum shift would be if Bears were panicked or Dolphins had been put in a frenzy and came after Trubs. Trubs calmly surveyed the field and inexplicably threw into double coverage.

It wasn't inexplicable at all, from his view, he had come off of his first read and scanned to his 2nd (Burton) who had half a step on his man and Trubs let it fly because from his point of view.. again, Burton was 1v1. The Safety in this particular play was shielded from his view.

Does a real good QB with experience know that there's a defender there without being able to actually see him? Perhaps, but I wouldn't expect any young QB to anticipate like that.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Getting it out quick and comfortable is different from getting it out quick under pressure. The few times we blitzed, Brock was throwing shit in the ground.

Miami has a good passer rating against because they lead the league in picks. As a whole they are bottom of the league against the pass. They give up an abysmal 278 yards a game. So it is a porous passing D with guys that can't really cover well that make up for that fact by getting picks.
I agreed with the 1st part and INTs count for the 2nd. You're not just about being right, you have a need for others to be wrong.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:

Having a TD taken away on a crappy call... After celebrating... After you just exerted everything driving the field... Having to go back out there and do it again because the ref fucked up (or blatantly purposfully fucked you)...

That's a momentum shift.

You have your opinion. I have mine.

Mine is likely correct.

Yours is based on your anti-Trubisky bias.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
It wasn't inexplicable at all, from his view, he had come off of his first read and scanned to his 2nd (Burton) who had half a step on his man and Trubs let it fly because from his point of view.. again, Burton was 1v1. The Safety in this particular play was shielded from his view.

Does a real good QB with experience know that there's a defender there without being able to actually see him? Perhaps, but I wouldn't expect any young QB to anticipate like that.

It was a TD... had the safety not been there. Trubs should have seen him.

But I'm sure there was some deflation for the entire offense as he had just thrown a TD that was reversed on a provably completely bullshit call.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agreed with the 1st part and INTs count for the 2nd. You're not just about being right, you have a need for others to be wrong.

Not sure your point. Giving up 278 yards a game is not good pass D. Just because you get a pick or 2 a game doesn't mean you play good pass D on the other plays where you giving up 278 yards.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

If he were throwing in a rush I would agree with you but he had all day to scan the whole field. So I think he has to see the 2nd guy when he has that much time.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Having a TD taken away on a crappy call... After celebrating... After you just exerted everything driving the field... Having to go back out there and do it again because the ref fucked up (or blatantly purposfully fucked you)...

That's a momentum shift.

You have your opinion. I have mine.

Mine is likely correct.

Yours is based on your anti-Trubisky bias.

Right the ref fucked the Bears on purpose. Talk about delusional.

I am critical of everyone including Trubs. It was a dumb pick period. He played well the rest of the half. The dude came right back and got another TD so no I think you are exaggerating about momentum. But hey agree to disagree.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Momentum was not changed until Trubs threw the dumb pick. Penalties and bad calls happen. The Bears were still in great position to score and had 3 chances on what would be first and goal at the 13. Trubs decided he wanted to get it all back on one play.

This. Not enough people saying this. Too many blame the refs for the INT because of the ticky tacky OPI.

I like Mitch. I like how he is proving his growth and development, but the refs didn't send a devil to his shoulder and say "Now try to get that TD back in ONE play. Force it in there; and show the refs how you can STILL do it anyway! Show them ALL!"

That was his mistake, and I am happy to have the kid make those mistakes, learn and keep learning. That one instance of (understandable) emotion within that throw can undo him. IMO he is watching tape and saying "I threw that ball with a very bad emotion attached. That I can never do again."

mecha

Liked Posts:
This. Not enough people saying this. Too many blame the refs for the INT because of the ticky tacky OPI.

I like Mitch. I like how he is proving his growth and development, but the refs didn't send a devil to his shoulder and say "Now try to get that TD back in ONE play. Force it in there; and show the refs how you can STILL do it anyway! Show them ALL!"

That was his mistake, and I am happy to have the kid make those mistakes, learn and keep learning. That one instance of (understandable) emotion within that throw can undo him. IMO he is watching tape and saying "I threw that ball with a very bad emotion attached. That I can never do again."

I thought it was pretty widely accepted here to just let him make mistakes so long as he was getting valuable experience. I'll take his performances now over the 9 mooks that preceded him any day. you know, even Brees and Brady threw 4 pick games (maybe even more), and we're squabbling over 1?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I thought it was pretty widely accepted here to just let him make mistakes so long as he was getting valuable experience. I'll take his performances now over the 9 mooks that preceded him any day. you know, even Brees and Brady threw 4 pick games (maybe even more), and we're squabbling over 1?

I don't know why anyone would squabble over the INT being a bad play, but oh well.

I am fine with the bad plays mixed in with mostly series of good plays: I look at it like Mitch gets in a zone hitting everything well and then tries to force a throw into double coverage. It helps him see what he can vs. cannot do "Even if I feel I am in a zone, there are tight windows that need to be seen as closed to me".

I never had designs for playoffs so I am ok with him making mistakes and learning.

What I do not do is blame the refs for his bad judgment or try to explain it away as if he spent his energy bar in celebrating a TD that was taken away and now he HAS to throw again with a low battery icon over his head therefore he deserves little to no criticism for his bad decision.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Note a few things:

1) Ball isn't even in the fucking air.
2) The conact is not in the endzone - still within 5 yards of LOS.
3) Kiko Alonso initiates the contact - not Burton (look where Burtons hands are.)

1) irrelevant to the call
2) irrelevant to the call
3) Burton dips his shoulder into Kiko, which is really the only "talking point"

I agree that my description was inaccurate...Burton didn't really shove Alonso, but IMO he initiated the contact hence the call. Someone else mentioned that the Steelers ran a similar pick play to win their game and no penalty was called, but the Steelers ran their play in the middle of the field. Refs only call a penalty on the pick play when it happens in the end zone. Burton did a terrible "sell" job, and I will say two other things about this...

1) Its weird how people can defend Nagy for running up the middle three straight times to settle for a 53-yard FG, yet at the same time no one takes issue with the Bears throwing on 1st and goal from the 3.

2) The offensive PI might not even have been a big deal had Trubisky not turned into Jay Cutler the next play and forced a pass into the middle of the end zone (i.e. where all the Dolphins players had congregated).