5 Thoughts and Observations on Dolphins-Bears

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The main reason for that loss was the lack of tackling......you can point to some missed ops here and there, but it was simply the inability to bring down the runner. It happened all through the second half....defense was gassed

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Whether or not another coach has tried it is irrelevant, it's a terrible fucking idea.

It was a bad idea. I am not defending Nagy on that play.

This Rory guy acts though like it was so fucking shocking that a coach would run the ball there. Actually, if it was so shocking, it probably would have worked as no team would have ever expected a run as it wouldn't have ever happened in the history of the world.

Wanny was on 670 the score this morning and said he would have ran it too! I disagree with him but the point is that if other coaches would have done it then there is a good chance that teams would expect the conservative approach. It's partly why it didn't work. It was predictable. Unprecedented is not predictable.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Haha, you are still running the ball to setup a LONG FG. Instead of passing to try and get much closer!! How you can not see the similarity is beyond me.

The Vikings didn't stall out upon reaching the 40 yard line. They actually made the game-winning FG, had it called back due to a 15-yard hands to the face penalty (Bears never get any calls!), and were stuck in a 3rd and 25. They wanted to keep the FG attempt to a makeable distance (i.e. less than 50 yards).

Its not the same situation, and what the Vikings did was actually the opposite of the Bears...they went with the highest percentage play to keep the FG under 50 yards.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

This Rory guy acts though like it was so fucking shocking that a coach would run the ball there. Actually, if it was so shocking, it probably would have worked as no team would have ever expected a run as it wouldn't have ever happened in the history of the world.

Wanny was on 670 the score this morning and said he would have ran it too! I disagree with him but the point is that if other coaches would have done it then there is a good chance that teams would expect the conservative approach. It's partly why it didn't work. It was predictable. Unprecedented is not predictable.
Sidebar:

Can someone explain to me why Wanny is all over the airways now? He was a terrible coach in the NFL and college. He was abhorrent for the Bears...and now he's making the rounds as though he should be respected.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

I've already gone over every aspect of this with you, multiple times. I'm not even sure what you mean by "run the ball there"...it wasn't one play. It was three successive plays of running up the middle. And again, the shocking aspect was the fact that the Bears took a timeout, inserted Jordan Howard for Tarik Cohen, and then thought they could fool Miami with another run up the middle.

Do you have a brain?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Yes, that was the other misstep by "didshereallysaythat"...he initially claimed that Nagy was merely running out the clock, not recognizing that a) too much time was left on the clock already, so there was nothing to "run out" and b) the Bears actually called timeout on 2nd down. He's been silent about that claim, too.

Just an utter, massive failure of a posting by didshe. Glad to be back.

He was trying to run out the clock. He called timeout after the play clock had ran out on 2nd down thus removing as much time from the game as possible in that moment. Go back and watch the tape. The 1st and 2nd down was fine because if they convert the 3rd down, Miami can not get the ball back again because it would have been 1st down at the 2 minute warning. The problem was the 3rd down call not passing.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Everyone has already covered everything but it was a little disheartening how Gase had no problem letting Osweiler throw it at the end to seal it essentially meanwhile Nagy is running up the gut settling for a 50+ yard field goal which in that situation is probably less than a 50/50.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sidebar:

Can someone explain to me why Wanny is all over the airways now? He was a terrible coach in the NFL and college. He was abhorrent for the Bears...and now he's making the rounds as though he should be respected.

same reason everyone listens to Jimmy Carter as some sage of wisdom.......short memories

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The Vikings didn't stall out upon reaching the 40 yard line. They actually made the game-winning FG, had it called back due to a 15-yard hands to the face penalty (Bears never get any calls!), and were stuck in a 3rd and 25. They wanted to keep the FG attempt to a makeable distance (i.e. less than 50 yards).

Its not the same situation, and what the Vikings did was actually the opposite of the Bears...they went with the highest percentage play to keep the FG under 50 yards.

Did they run the ball on 3rd down to setup a long FG? Yes, they did.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He was trying to run out the clock. He called timeout after the play clock had ran out on 2nd down thus removing as much time from the game as possible in that moment. Go back and watch the tape. The 1st and 2nd down was fine because if they convert the 3rd down, Miami can not get the ball back again because it would have been 1st down at the 2 minute warning. The problem was the 3rd down call not passing.

Why would he run out the clock in OT, next score wins?

me654

Liked Posts:
How about if Danny Trevathan didnt fail miserably on the Wilson TD from the Miami 25 with 3 min left leading 28-21.

Bet Kwit would have made that tackle ;)

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Did they run the ball on 3rd down to setup a long FG? Yes, they did.

I wouldn't say they were really "setting" anything up there. They were more trying to mitigate the damage after the penalty. A sack completely takes you out of FG range there. With the Bears..not so much...depends on the pass call though, the drop etc.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

My point is no intelligent coach would try a stunt like that

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Dolphins still had a timeout left, and even if Bears get 1st down, the game is still tied and the Bears are still at the tip of Parkey's range.

Instead of all this beating around the bush and citing Dave Wannstedt's thoughts...how about you just name the teams that have stalled out to setup a 53-yard FG attempt, which was your original claim?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Rory, no offense, but you are as stupid as Laurence Holmes on 670. He thought it was dumb of Nagy to call timeout when the Dolphins had 4th down at the Bears 41 with 40 seconds to go in regulation. His quote (I am paraphrasing) from last night was "Why would you call timeout there? Let them try a long FG. Even if they make it, you end up with better field position to have Trubisky go down and score". Uhh, dumbass... If he doesn't call timeout, the Dolphins take the clock down to 3 seconds. If they make the 58 yard FG, the fucking game is over! Calling timeout makes them punt because they can't risk a miss on a low percentage kick with 40 seconds left on the clock. There is no risk of missing if it is the last fucking play.

I bet you thought the exact same thing as him, lol.