[A] Blackhawks Acquire Michal Handzus for a Draft Pick

Irish Hawk

Liked Posts:
It's not an April fools joke. The Chicago Blackhawks have acquired <strong class='bbc'>Michal Handzus[/b] from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for a 4th round draft pick in the upcoming 2013 draft. The 4th round pick originally belonged to the Sharks, and the Blackhawks obtained it last year during the 2012 draft.

Handzus, 36, has appeared in 28 games for the Sharks this season, scoring one goal and added one assist. His best trait is exactly what I mentioned the Blackhawks were searching for just a few days ago: 55.6% face-off percentage. Handzus also brings the Blackhawks size up the middle at 6' 5" 215 pounds.

"I’ve always been a two-way player," Handzus said to the Chicago Tribune. "I kill penalties and if I have a chance I can play power play. It's an all-around game. It’s been that way my whole career. I’ll try to just fit in any way I can."

That may sound nice to Blackhawks fans, but realistically Handzus has really lost a step or two in his game. He won't get a chance on the power play in Chicago (although stranger things have happened), but he may see some time on the penalty kill, and will probably get a lot of opportunities at the face-off dot in important draws.

The San Jose Sharks fanbase apparently couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

"Handzus is a train-wreck in every way imaginable, aside from face-offs and shoot-outs. Slow as can be, looks completely disinterested at all times, kills any and all offensive pressure whenever he is on the ice. Defensively he is abysmal as well, worst on the team."

Harsh.

With <strong class='bbc'>Jonathan Toews[/b], <strong class='bbc'>Dave Bolland[/b], <strong class='bbc'>Andrew Shaw[/b], and <strong class='bbc'>Marcus Kruger[/b] all playing center, someone is going to have to shift to the wing. Shaw, or possibly Kruger, will most-likely move over to let Handzus take the face-off dot.

PURE OPINION — Take it for what it's worth, but this is purely a depth move to improve our face-off percentage and size up the middle. Two needs that Bowman wanted to address, albeit, this addition was certainly on-the-cheap. He is on the final year of his contract, so the Blackhawks don't have to worry about any future commitment either.

At best, Handzus could exceed expectations and provide good two-way ability, size, and face-off ability, along with a bit of creativity on the offensive side of the ice like he did with <strong class='bbc'>Martin Havlat[/b] in his brief stop to Chicago in 2006-07. At worst, Handzus is a healthy scratch filling the press box. Somewhere in the middle of those two situations, he could provide a role similar to <strong class='bbc'>John Madden[/b] in 2010.

One last thing to consider: Joel Quenneville coached Handzus back in the day when both were part of the St. Louis Blues organization, so perhaps he had some input on this move.

<center>You should follow me on twitter here or click the button below.

<iframe allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"
src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets/follow_button.html?screen_name=TonDeFra"
style="width:300px; height:20px; margin: 0 auto !important; display:block;"></iframe></center>

Click here to view the article

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
FOR SERIOUS??? WTH.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wait. April's Fool?

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
This is not April's Fools.... It's on his twitter.

Unbelievable. Handzus????

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So this would be 4C assistance? They can not possibly want to put that relic on as 2C help. Sweet Baby Jesus, he's got exactly one more goal at "1" then Ryan Clowe on that old and slowass Sharks team.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
How the FUCK is he worth a 4th rounder?

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How the FUCK is he worth a 4th rounder?

As it stands right now, if they don't use the 2013 1st in a trade then the Hawks pick in the bottom of the 1st Rd. annnnnnnnnd. . .then again. . . .in the 5th Rd.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
stan loving his retirement home guys. its shit like this that makes me start questioining stan again.

i see no point in this deal what so ever. waste of a 4th round pick. how many picks do the hawks have now in the draft?

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
As it stands right now, if they don't use the 2013 1st in a trade then the Hawks pick in the bottom of the 1st Rd. annnnnnnnnd. . .then again in the 5th Rd.

what a nightmare. better work on that in the offseason. see what stalberg brings as far as picks.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
There's a PK guy and face off weiner (55%) on the year

I think the asking price on a lot of things is going to be high, Pez...damn near every team is in it still. The "sellers" are few and people can ask/get a premium.

Ashor-redtribe

Liked Posts:
Hanzy wins pretty much 55% of faceoffs we are currently standing at 49.9 18th in the league.....and that is a great addition...and I think he is pretty good on the PP and PK. so for a late fourth rounder going the other way..not bad just depth that will be much needed down the stretch.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
I just don't see how a 4th liner is worth a 4th round pick, in a draft where you are already missing your 2nd and 3rd.

Where does Handzus go? Is he any better than Mayers? There's NO WAY he can play in the top six. Kruger is currently the 4C. Do you move Kruger up? Where? 2nd line? 3rd line? Do you move Shaw to wing with Bolland replacing him? I just don't understand this move or what it does to help.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
we dont need a pk guy. we need a pp guy.

just seems like a waste pmx. i would rather nothing be done than bring in these retirement guys. hes no top 3 center anymore. he was done 3 years ago. what a waste of time.

here we go with the faceoff percentage shit again. if a guy cant bring anythingt else to the table than a faceoff percentage then whats the point? gotta be able to contribute in other areas aswell. handzus is done. hes been high garbage the last 2 years in san jose..hell im shocked people even know he was still playing.

sit him on the 4th line or the press box incase of injuries.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
28 games played 1G 1A -9.

God I hope this is a sign another bigger move is coming and we'll need depth on the 3rd/4th line.