Andy Dalton is Cannon Fodder

macbear67

Liked Posts:
So, I really want to see what the kid (Fields) can do. I'm more excited about this than anything Bears related in years. But man the offensive line is such a question mark with two new tackles. I say let Dalton start and see if they can protect him. If they can protect him, put Fields in early in the season. If he is getting mauled every game, leave him in until he breaks. Nothing against the guy but better him than Fields. The less time Fields spends running for his life the better.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I never really understood this whole "let a rookie watch and learn" thing. Watching and doing are two completely different things. You can't really learn how to be a great athlete just by watching....

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
If the worry is the OL holding up and Fields being forced to play behind a bad OL, then if the OL can't hold up, it will eventually end with Fields being forced to play behind a bad OL.

This is the same logic that a team without a QB should wait until they have the perfect situation before they draft a QB. Don't get me wrong, OL is very important for team success. But the ultimate success is dependent on the QB. The Bears went 8-8 back-to-back with a below average OL because of the QB. A good QB and they win a lot more games, despite the OL everyone hated.

Also, you guys overstate an OL getting "destroyed". This isn't something that happens very often. David Carr's OL got destroyed. Jay Cutler's OL got destroyed by the Giants in the 9 sack 1st half game, and then they adjusted to just be terrible. The Eagles OL was probably pretty close to destroyed this year. We complained about the Bears OL for years, but they were still not terrible and nowhere near "destroyed". They added talent, got healthy and gained experience....yet somehow all of a sudden are not going to be able to hold up to the point they get people injured?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I never really understood this whole "let a rookie watch and learn" thing. Watching and doing are two completely different things. You can't really learn how to be a great athlete just by watching....
yeah but you can learn so really bad habits if your OL does not give you enough time..

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
If the worry is the OL holding up and Fields being forced to play behind a bad OL, then if the OL can't hold up, it will eventually end with Fields being forced to play behind a bad OL.

This is the same logic that a team without a QB should wait until they have the perfect situation before they draft a QB. Don't get me wrong, OL is very important for team success. But the ultimate success is dependent on the QB. The Bears went 8-8 back-to-back with a below average OL because of the QB. A good QB and they win a lot more games, despite the OL everyone hated.

Also, you guys overstate an OL getting "destroyed". This isn't something that happens very often. David Carr's OL got destroyed. Jay Cutler's OL got destroyed by the Giants in the 9 sack 1st half game, and then they adjusted to just be terrible. The Eagles OL was probably pretty close to destroyed this year. We complained about the Bears OL for years, but they were still not terrible and nowhere near "destroyed". They added talent, got healthy and gained experience....yet somehow all of a sudden are not going to be able to hold up to the point they get people injured?
I don’t think you get it though. The Bears need to put 5 HOF offensive lineman on the field before Fields can play.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
yeah but you can learn so really bad habits if your OL does not give you enough time..
And this is the key. If a little time helps the OL be better, that helps Fields development. And if the OL doesn’t improve, which would mean Pace drafted 2 complete busts this year, then a little extra time only helps prepare him for it.

BTW, thank you OP for bringing up something none of us have talked about yet!

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Do you think our OL looked as bad your describing last season? The point where a QB would learn such bad habits?

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
And this is the key. If a little time helps the OL be better, that helps Fields development. And if the OL doesn’t improve, which would mean Pace drafted 2 complete busts this year, then a little extra time only helps prepare him for it.

BTW, thank you OP for bringing up something none of us have talked about yet!
How do you know it helps Fields development? What prepares Fields for dealing with poor OL play is actually playing with the poor OL.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The only factor that should determine when Justin Fields plays should be Justin Fields. The OL, team record, even Dalton's performance doesn't matter because he's gone after this year anyway. If Fields can run the offense, he plays. If not, he doesn't. That's all that matters.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
just listen to what Cutler said on it. hes actually been through it. it helps to watch. to see how andy prepares, to see the team win and lose

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any poor soul that tuned in to watch the Bengals play the last few seasons he was there will know that Big Red has been cannon fodder for quite some time. It's probably why the Bears should have just signed him last year over trading a pick for Foles, but Bears gonna Bears.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
true but just pointing out the positives from watching
I get that, but like Rawdawg said, the only factor in Fields starting should be himself. Whether if he’s ready to go mentally or not.

What if the Bears have a mediocre line the next 3 years? Are you going to continue sitting Fields because the Bears need the line to improve?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Any poor soul that tuned in to watch the Bengals play the last few seasons he was there will know that Big Red has been cannon fodder for quite some time. It's probably why the Bears should have just signed him last year over trading a pick for Foles, but Bears gonna Bears.
Unpopular opinion, but I didn't mind the Foles trade. The Bears traded a comp pick they got for a player they were never going to re-sign. It was during a pandemic and the offseason was virtual and preseason was cancelled. They went with a guy that knew the basics of the offense. Also, Foles was younger and more recently was a decent QB. Dalton wasn't cut until after the draft as the Bengals were trying to get someone to trade for him. Then you had to worry about competition when Dalton hit the market and he could have still chosen the Cowboys and the Bears would have been screwed.