Andy Dalton is Cannon Fodder

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Do you think our OL looked as bad your describing last season? The point where a QB would learn such bad habits?
There are 2 rookies on the OL so no idea how good or how bad it will be.. Let Dalton find out for a few games how they are.
If Fields turns out to be what we all hope, then he is going to be able to solve out QB problems for the next 10-15 years.. so do you really think in 10 years from now if Fields is a top 5 QB every year we are going to be looking back thinking if only he started 6 games earlier?

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
just listen to what Cutler said on it. hes actually been through it. it helps to watch. to see how andy prepares, to see the team win and lose

I understand it helps to a point, but if watching great QBs made you a great QB, several people on this forum would be great QBs. I just think watching and doing are very different. I mean, every year fans are told not to extrapolate anything you see in practice or in the pre-season into the regular season. And then we're told not to mistake regular season play for post-season caliber play. I imagine the gulf between watching and performing well on the field, even in practice, is very wide.

But yeah, Cutler's been there and probably knows better than me. And I hope our coaching staff knows better than both.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
There are 2 rookies on the OL so no idea how good or how bad it will be.. Let Dalton find out for a few games how they are.
If Fields turns out to be what we all hope, then he is going to be able to solve out QB problems for the next 10-15 years.. so do you really think in 10 years from now if Fields is a top 5 QB every year we are going to be looking back thinking if only he started 6 games earlier?

What is Dalton supposed to find out ? Are you seriously believing we are gonna be calling designated runs and naked boots for Dalton ?

It makes no sense to have them learn one thing for Dalton and something totally different for Fields and when you consider that Fields strengths are exactly what Nagys says we have been missing from the offense .

Why start a qb who can do nothing to cover up your weakness even if it is only for 6 games ? The whole point of camp is to give your team confidence that you have addressed your weaknesses in the offseason.

Last edited:

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
There is at least 1 rookie starting on the OL. The chances of him being worse than Leno are slim. The second rookie needs to beat out a veteran. The Bears get Daniels back. Do you think they are going to be worse than last year? I think with Daniels back they are a slightly improved group.

If Fields is ready after TC and preseason, the Bears don’t need to “let” Dalton start just to find out how the O line is.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Just because Jay was also drafted doesn't mean hes been through what Fields is going through.

He even admits he didn't watch him in college
Jay is suggesting Fields sit to learn on the sideline. That’s what he did when he was drafted and Jake Plummer started. So yeah, Cutler has been through that.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
There is at least 1 rookie starting on the OL. The chances of him being worse than Leno are slim. The second rookie needs to beat out a veteran. The Bears get Daniels back. Do you think they are going to be worse than last year? I think with Daniels back they are a slightly improved group.

If Fields is ready after TC and preseason, the Bears don’t need to “let” Dalton start just to find out how the O line is.
yes we are starting a rookie at the most important position on the OL.. and also he played most at RT.. so we can all hope he works out but until he actually plays real games we wont know.. Again having fields sit 4-6 games to let the OL gel is going to do nothing to hurt his development.

We are not winning the super bowl this year regardless who starts, so might as well make sure you develop him correctly

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Jay is suggesting Fields sit to learn on the sideline. That’s what he did when he was drafted and Jake Plummer started. So yeah, Cutler has been through that.

Yeah he sat 16 years ago dont see the relevance at all considering how much the rules have changed and how football have become a year round sport for qbs these days and as I mentioned he never even saw him play in college .

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
yes we are starting a rookie at the most important position on the OL.. and also he played most at RT.. so we can all hope he works out but until he actually plays real games we wont know.. Again having fields sit 4-6 games to let the OL gel is going to do nothing to hurt his development.

We are not winning the super bowl this year regardless who starts, so might as well make sure you develop him correctly
And like I said the chances of Jenkins being worse than Leno are slim. So we already know what the OL might look like. They might be slightly better with Daniels coming in. So if we might know what the OL looks like and Fields is ready, what is the point of sitting him 4-6 games? It’s not like we have 3 or 4 new offensive lineman and they really need to gel together.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Yeah he sat 16 years ago dont see the relevance at all considering how much the rules have changed and how football have become a year round sport for qbs these days and as I mentioned he never even saw him play in college .
I don’t think it has anything to do with that. He’s simply stating he saw benefits from sitting and that’s why he’s making his opinion that Fields shouldn’t start.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

I don’t necessarily agree with your last statement. If Fields comes in and has a Herbert-lite type season and the defense bounces back and is a top 5-10 unit…you never know. That’s a lot of ifs and I’m not saying I expect it, but it could happen. It’s not like they’re the 20 Jets.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Any poor soul that tuned in to watch the Bengals play the last few seasons he was there will know that Big Red has been cannon fodder for quite some time. It's probably why the Bears should have just signed him last year over trading a pick for Foles, but Bears gonna Bears.
They may have if he was available at the time they got Foles. Dalton was released after the draft.

As for Fields, It will be determined by Fields and Dalton but I suspect the coaches would prefer to sit him for up to 1/2 a season. There is no best way but there are more predictable processes and ways to keep the O more in sync/complete. This isn't the Chicago Fields, it's not a throw away season and rookie QBs make more mistakes when they start early.

With Fields, it will be a bit about his added big plays becoming more frequent than added errors or missed reads etc and I don't think it will be too long before the coaches see it that way.

Last edited:

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
And like I said the chances of Jenkins being worse than Leno are slim. So we already know what the OL might look like. They might be slightly better with Daniels coming in. So if we might know what the OL looks like and Fields is ready, what is the point of sitting him 4-6 games? It’s not like we have 3 or 4 new offensive lineman and they really need to gel together.
There is a lot of "mights" in your argument there. The point of sitting his is that it takes away the unknown of how the OL is playing.. Sitting him for a few games will not hurt his development at all. Most of the best QBs have sat for half to a full year.. So sitting obviously does not hurt developing QBs

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
There is a lot of "mights" in your argument there. The point of sitting his is that it takes away the unknown of how the OL is playing.. Sitting him for a few games will not hurt his development at all. Most of the best QBs have sat for half to a full year.. So sitting obviously does not hurt developing QBs
There’s also a lot of mights, maybes and unknowns for your argument. What if the OL never gels this season? Are you not going to play Fields at all even if he’s 100% ready? What’s the difference between him starting game 1 vs game 6? Do you think that’s going to hurt his development?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
There’s also a lot of mights, maybes and unknowns for your argument. What if the OL never gels this season? Are you not going to play Fields at all even if he’s 100% ready? What’s the difference between him starting game 1 vs game 6? Do you think that’s going to hurt his development?
There is absolutely no unknowns with my plan because you let the OL play first and make a decision on how to move Fields into the starting role based on what the OL actually does.. If the OL plays well after 4-6 games then you let him play. Simple as that.

Also there is more then just the OL, so far Nagy has been a complete fraud when it comes to an "offensive genius". I also would want to see how Nagy performs with Dalton. Dalton is a know commodity, he is a sold average QB, so what happens if Nagys O shits the bed again? So in that situation does Pace fire Nagy at the end of the year if he fails to produce at least an average offense? If thats the case then we dont want fields to play under Nagy at all.

The problem with starting Fields is if the O struggles again because Nagy is a fraud then who gets the blame? the HC or the rookie QB? I want the OL to prove themselves and I also want Nagy to prove he is not a fraud. Having Fields sit for half a year to find out will not hurt his development at all.. The vast majority of the top QBs did not start day one.. it will not hurt him at all..

napo55

Liked Posts:
Opinions on this subject may be interesting, but they count for zero. The coach and GM will not start Fields.. Red Rifle will start and Fields will come in once the new OL has solidified and Fields has clearly outplayed Dalton. This is what Nagy and Pace want to do.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Opinions on this subject may be interesting, but they count for zero. The coach and GM will not start Fields.. Red Rifle will start and Fields will come in once the new OL has solidified and Fields has clearly outplayed Dalton. This is what Nagy and Pace want to do.

and if the new Oline doesn't solidify Fields will play under the new Gm and coach when they are fired ...sounds like a plan