Are Jenkins/Borom not our starting tackles?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I must have missed the memo on this one.

Is the Jenkins at LT experiment over? I know he didn't play well but it was his first few games.

As it seems like a throwaway year I am surprised they wouldn't give these guys time at OT and see how it develops.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Is the Jenkins at LT experiment over? I know he didn't play well but it was his first few games.

As it seems like a throwaway year I am surprised they wouldn't give these guys time at OT and see how it develops.

New GM, new vision. Apparently he likes Jenkins, but not sure he's a LT. Apparently does NOT like Borom.

That's what we're operating off of.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Since both were drafted by the previous GM, they will not be given the same opportunities to fail or win the spot.
It is not fair to either one, but it is the way it goes.

I hope one or both of them win starting jobs. Ideally, Jenkins is allowed to compete for the LT position, but if they bring in a Vet they really should let him be the presumed RT starter....

I just hope we get the best O-line possible regardless of Draft position or Salary.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Free agency plays out over several weeks and then there is a draft and then more free agency. It's not like the roster is done yet.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Thanks for the update. I figured they would have been aggressive in free agency had they not wanted Jenkins to at least try and start at LT.

I think Borom looking functional at RT instead of inside changed the dynamic.

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
New GM, new vision. Apparently he likes Jenkins, but not sure he's a LT. Apparently does NOT like Borom.

That's what we're operating off of.
Would you be so kind to kindly share any links where the new GM publically shared his opinions on these two players because I have neither read nor heard these things being mentioned and Google searching has turned up udderly empty?

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

From what I've been able to glean, Poles seems to see last year's drafted OL as having potential. Having said that, I do not believe for one second that Poles views either of them as a potential LT. The big question is if Jenkins is a RT or RG. From the actions I see Poles going with, it seems that Jenkins will play the right. I think he sees Borum as either a G or a swing T.

Again, this is from my reading the subtext of what's going on.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I asked the same thing in the massive shenanigan's thread and no answer. Some posters are acting like we have no Tackles on the roster.

Personally, I think Jenkins would make a better RT and Borom at G, but Borom showed us he could play RT and Jenkins looked OK in limited action at LT so Poles has some flexibility here imo.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
The offensive style is changing too. I'm not an aficionado or anything but we're going to be running the Shanahan type zone blocking scheme which prioritizes guys who can really move over guys who can overpower, no? Considering that, the new coaching staff and/or GM may not view Jenkins and/or Borom as ideal fits for the offense and possibly might not even view them as good players/prospects.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think Jenkins will be RT, Borom swing. When I saw Borom's film last year I thought swing tackle. I didn't see a guard at all.

seabear

Liked Posts:
I think Poles has shown that he is going to remake this team and I think the nature of that is that nobody is secure. This is the nature of failed organizations, football or otherwise. Nobody is safe.

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
Jenkins if his recovery and development are on track looks a coachable right tackle (imo) Not sure about LB. Don't think either are good enough for a franchise looking to protect the franchise on the left side of the line.

Then again, a functioning O would be a fine thing for the Bears.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. Like Center, they went out and got someone with experience and kicked Mustipher back to where he should have been either practice squad or a backup. I think it is way too premature to give up on TJ since he had no offseason, camp, zero practice reps.. the way he was handled was another indictment of Nagy and his staff. They should have just red shirted him.

They quickly gave upon LB too, he looked 'ok' at LT but the sample size is very small.

Unlike our idiot GM we fired, Poles is looking to add a solid veteran (imo) at LT so he has a plan rather than banking on two rookies. What an ignorant plan for 2021.

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
Jenkins if his recovery and development are on track looks a coachable right tackle (imo) Not sure about LB. Don't think either are good enough for a franchise looking to protect the franchise on the left side of the line.

Then again, a functioning O would be a fine thing for the Bears.
Literally nobody I have seen has any idea about jenkins as a LB in any article, interview or tweet and I personally don't see any reason what's soever to try him out on defence at any position and believe that LB would be a poor fit for him because he's literally a lineman

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
Pay that man his money.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Poles is looking to add a solid veteran (imo) at LT so he has a plan rather than banking on two rookies.
Disagree respectfully.

Solid veteran LTs aren't available, because if they were solid, they would be starting somewhere else.

You can find a backup swing tackle for a few million, but expect just above replacement level production if he gets forced into the lineup.

I mean Leno got 12 million a year after we cut him if that tells you anything about the LT market.