Are Jenkins/Borom not our starting tackles?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Would you be so kind to kindly share any links where the new GM publically shared his opinions on these two players because I have neither read nor heard these things being mentioned and Google searching has turned up udderly empty?

There was a sportsmockery article about this but @Mighty Joe Young probably won't link it because CCS has already laughed him off the board for citing these sorts of sources for where his "opinions" come from.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
The offensive style is changing too. I'm not an aficionado or anything but we're going to be running the Shanahan type zone blocking scheme which prioritizes guys who can really move over guys who can overpower, no? Considering that, the new coaching staff and/or GM may not view Jenkins and/or Borom as ideal fits for the offense and possibly might not even view them as good players/prospects.
Explain to me why he wouldn’t fit ?

Attachments

• 3E62795A-1C4D-46E2-A511-7577586A5842.png
    3E62795A-1C4D-46E2-A511-7577586A5842.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Explain to me why he wouldn’t fit ?
I'm not the one to do that. I would bet that they've got one of the tackle spots reserved for Jenkins (hopefully the right side) while I doubt that they want to rely on Borom as a tackle. Signing Armstead, Fisher or Turner to play the left side would put the Bears in a great spot to not have to reach or draft for need on the O line. Going into the draft with the following potential starting unit would be great:

LT: Armstead/Fisher/Turner
LG: Whitehair
C: Patrick
RG: Borom
RT: Jenkins

I would then look for Poles to draft a potential starter at RG, pushing Borom into the swing tackle spot. But again, I have no idea what the coaching staff and Poles truly think about what they've got in the two second-year O-linemen.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I'm bullish on Borom as a starter, and don't think they have him as a backup. Whether they kick him inside or not we will see, but he appeared to me to have enough foot speed to play RT which was unexpected.

Signing Patrick allows the Bears to upgrade either the C or LG spot and have Patrick play the opposite.

I see it as:
LT: Jenkins
LG: Patrick or Draft selection
C: Patrick or Draft selection
RG: Whitehair
Rt: Borom

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The honest truth so far is I haven't the foggiest in terms of what Poles wants from the line for the most part, so I have no idea where anyone will line up.

All I know about Poles is that he and I had a similar evaluation on James Daniels, which is why we didn't re-sign him, and beyond that, IF I take what he's said and what's been said about him at face value, he's not going to break the bank but instead get FA OL who are "good enough" on short contracts while he rebuilds and looks for the studs in the draft, NOT in free agency, which I support.

But until I actually see the players and start seeing some games, I don't really have any idea on what we should expect.

I will say that I think they will find a home for Jenkins, and while some here have insisted he is a tackle only, I can envision a situation where he's put at guard for the RB to run behind...

Reactions: Myk

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The honest truth so far is I haven't the foggiest in terms of what Poles wants from the line for the most part, so I have no idea where anyone will line up.

All I know about Poles is that he and I had a similar evaluation on James Daniels, which is why we didn't re-sign him, and beyond that, IF I take what he's said and what's been said about him at face value, he's not going to break the bank but instead get FA OL who are "good enough" on short contracts while he rebuilds and looks for the studs in the draft, NOT in free agency, which I support.

But until I actually see the players and start seeing some games, I don't really have any idea on what we should expect.

I will say that I think they will find a home for Jenkins, and while some here have insisted he is a tackle only, I can envision a situation where he's put at guard for the RB to run behind...
you don't watch the games tho

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I think Jenkins can play LT.
I'd be disappointed if they didn't give instructions to both Jenkins & Borom before the off season as to what they needed to do, if it was to lose weight or whatever. Hope they both make it and do well, we have lot's of holes to fill elsewhere.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I'm not the one to do that. I would bet that they've got one of the tackle spots reserved for Jenkins (hopefully the right side) while I doubt that they want to rely on Borom as a tackle. Signing Armstead, Fisher or Turner to play the left side would put the Bears in a great spot to not have to reach or draft for need on the O line. Going into the draft with the following potential starting unit would be great:

LT: Armstead/Fisher/Turner
LG: Whitehair
C: Patrick
RG: Borom
RT: Jenkins

I would then look for Poles to draft a potential starter at RG, pushing Borom into the swing tackle spot. But again, I have no idea what the coaching staff and Poles truly think about what they've got in the two second-year O-linemen.
I fail to understand the dislike for Borom here as an NFL OT. He started what 9 games and played well in most of them. Back to back games against SF and Pit, one sack two pressures allowed, Seattle took the place of Jenkins after one series blocked well for both run and pass, played well against two crap teams Lions and Giants. Played like shit just like the rest of the line in his other four starts. This shows me he is not a horrible tackle just an inconsistent one. A rough raw player you can work with.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I must have missed the memo on this one.

Is the Jenkins at LT experiment over? I know he didn't play well but it was his first few games.

As it seems like a throwaway year I am surprised they wouldn't give these guys time at OT and see how it develops.

The experiment is not over. He just isn't likely to be handed a job. Sign and draft talent on the OL and let them all battle it out.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was great to see Jenkins protect Fields that ONE time. Truly. That said, he played like a soft ass marshmallow. Boron did great for a 5th round rookie. Should be a great camp to watch.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

That's pretty much the point of my Rip Van Winkle comment.

It's way too early to be wondering why certain players aren't starting at certain positions. You can bet if Jenkins and Borom are the best we can get at RT/LT they'll be our starters.

I have no idea what Poles thinks of them but if they were definitely not going to be starting he would've been trying to trade them for players or draft picks. I don't see how either have had enough film to lower their value.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When did he say this and what was said?
I’m not sure why Borom has been so disrespected. I think he played average to above average, and for being a rookie in btought in cold. I think if he had a good off-season (weight training) and a solid training camp with a lot of reps he will perform a lot better.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
When did he say this and what was said?

Well we're going back all the way to the beginning of when he was hired, and a few of the guys who have hit on some of the rumors were saying that, and were also independently corroborating that on their own.

Won't begrudge you if you don't believe them, but it just kind of got out into the ether.

But that's also why I said apparently. Because I myself am taking it with a grain of salt.