I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
What are peoples thoughts on the upcoming Dallas Minnesota series?

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I have Minnesota in 6. But this was an impressive win by Dallas. Edwards was completely gassed by the end of the game due to needing to defend either Kyrie or Luka all game, and his offense suffered. Wolves will need to figure that out

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I have Minnesota in 6. But this was an impressive win by Dallas. Edwards was completely gassed by the end of the game due to needing to defend either Kyrie or Luka all game, and his offense suffered. Wolves will need to figure that out
It’s going to be a tough matchup for Minnesota to guard Kyrie and Luka. Conley is a nice defender but he is older and small. It’s kinda a mismatch whoever he guards

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well I was going to agree with BNB and say Minnesota in 6.. but I mean Dallas really came out in Game 1. Luka played an amazing second half. ANT looked gassed chasing Kyrie around all game. Minnesota's got some serious adjustments to make, and if they want ANT's offense, they need to have him stop chasing Kyrie around all game.

Obviously things can still go well for Minnesota, it's obviously not over after one game. But gotta see what kind of adjustments they make for G2.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I was going to agree with BNB and say Minnesota in 6.. but I mean Dallas really came out in Game 1. Luka played an amazing second half. ANT looked gassed chasing Kyrie around all game. Minnesota's got some serious adjustments to make, and if they want ANT's offense, they need to have him stop chasing Kyrie around all game.

Obviously things can still go well for Minnesota, it's obviously not over after one game. But gotta see what kind of adjustments they make for G2.
Edwards is going to hit a wall. First time going this deep. He is young and in great shape, but almost all players talk about how you dont know how physically tasked you are until you play this deep. He wants to defend the best and Kyrie is Curry always running. See how Minnesota plays it. Its a toss up series to me, but Minny is facing two premiere scorers. Denver didnt have that.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Winning a title always requires a degree of luck... but how lucky have the Celtics been? Played Miami with no Jimmy Butler, played the Cavs with no Jarett Allen or Mitchell (for 2 games), and now Haliburton is injured. Once TH went down, the Celtics really started to pull away, and Indiana really had no shot at coming back. This series is already over, but it may be a sweep without TH.

Celtics could walk into the Finals fully rested and healthy.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Winning a title always requires a degree of luck... but how lucky have the Celtics been? Played Miami with no Jimmy Butler, played the Cavs with no Jarett Allen or Mitchell (for 2 games), and now Haliburton is injured. Once TH went down, the Celtics really started to pull away, and Indiana really had no shot at coming back. This series is already over, but it may be a sweep without TH.

I think it got said at the start of these conference finals, but this is really the Celtics' year. Like everything is falling into place for them to finally win one.

Superstar logic dictates that Dallas should win it all, but man does it feel like if the Celtics don't win this year there's no excuse

Reactions: BNB

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Rest can be good, and not so good. Depends really. I don't think there is really any science or trend to it...

Teams that swept Conference Finals, how they did in Finals, and what their opponent did in Conference Finals going back to ABA merger
2023 Nuggets, won NBA Finals 4-1; Heat went 6
2019 Warriors, lost NBA Finals 4-2; Raptors went 6 (Durant was injured and only play 1.5 quarters. Klay Thompson got injured in the clincher)
2017 Warriors, won NBA Finals 4-1; Cavs went 5
2015 Cavs, lost NBA Finals 4-2; Warriors went 5
2013 Spurs, lost NBA Finals 4-3, Heat went 7
----- Giant gap between CF sweeps
2003 Nets, lost NBA Finals 4-2; Spurs went 6
2001 Lakers, won NBA Finals 4-1, Sixers went 7
1998 Jazz, lost NBA Finals 4-2, Bulls went 7
1996 Bulls, won NBA Finals 4-2, Sonics went 7
1991 Bulls, won NBA Finals 4-1, Lakers went 6
1989 Lakers, lost NBA Finals 4-0, Pistons went 6 (All that rest did Lakers good as their primary players all got hurt in the Finals)
1987 Lakers, won NBA Finals 4-2, Celtics went 7
1986 Celtics, won NBA Finals 4-2, Rockets went 6
1982 Lakers, won NBA Finals 4-2, Sixers went 7
1977 Blazers, won NBA Finals 4-2, Sixers went 6

Teams that swept in the Conference Finals are 9-6 in the Finals.

The teams teams that then lost in the Finals, generally played a superior opponent or had injuries

The 2019 Warriors were on their 5th straight Finals and injuries started to set in.
The 2015 Cavs played a better built Warriors team.
The 2013 Spurs were a rebound away from winning against the Heat.
The 2003 Nets were vastly inferior to the Spurs.
The 1998 Jazz had to play Michael Jordan.
The 1989 Lakers, as mentioned, suffered injuries.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rest can be good, and not so good. Depends really. I don't think there is really any science or trend to it...

Teams that swept Conference Finals, how they did in Finals, and what their opponent did in Conference Finals going back to ABA merger
2023 Nuggets, won NBA Finals 4-1; Heat went 6
2019 Warriors, lost NBA Finals 4-2; Raptors went 6 (Durant was injured and only play 1.5 quarters. Klay Thompson got injured in the clincher)
2017 Warriors, won NBA Finals 4-1; Cavs went 5
2015 Cavs, lost NBA Finals 4-2; Warriors went 5
2013 Spurs, lost NBA Finals 4-3, Heat went 7
----- Giant gap between CF sweeps
2003 Nets, lost NBA Finals 4-2; Spurs went 6
2001 Lakers, won NBA Finals 4-1, Sixers went 7
1998 Jazz, lost NBA Finals 4-2, Bulls went 7
1996 Bulls, won NBA Finals 4-2, Sonics went 7
1991 Bulls, won NBA Finals 4-1, Lakers went 6
1989 Lakers, lost NBA Finals 4-0, Pistons went 6 (All that rest did Lakers good as their primary players all got hurt in the Finals)
1987 Lakers, won NBA Finals 4-2, Celtics went 7
1986 Celtics, won NBA Finals 4-2, Rockets went 6
1982 Lakers, won NBA Finals 4-2, Sixers went 7
1977 Blazers, won NBA Finals 4-2, Sixers went 6

Teams that swept in the Conference Finals are 9-6 in the Finals.

The teams teams that then lost in the Finals, generally played a superior opponent or had injuries

The 2019 Warriors were on their 5th straight Finals and injuries started to set in.
The 2015 Cavs played a better built Warriors team.
The 2013 Spurs were a rebound away from winning against the Heat.
The 2003 Nets were vastly inferior to the Spurs.
The 1998 Jazz had to play Michael Jordan.
The 1989 Lakers, as mentioned, suffered injuries.

Interesting. So, with all other factors ignored, looks like there's a small benefit to more rest. So if the Celtics enter the Finals healthy (and stay healthy), that gives them even more of advantage. And given that they're better than the Mavs and Wolves (unliked the nets vs spurs, cavs vs. wariors, etc.), they don't have being the inferior team going against them.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Does anyone else think it's wild that the Pacers have been to the ECF 7 times in the last 26 years?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Interesting. So, with all other factors ignored, looks like there's a small benefit to more rest. So if the Celtics enter the Finals healthy (and stay healthy), that gives them even more of advantage. And given that they're better than the Mavs and Wolves (unliked the nets vs spurs, cavs vs. wariors, etc.), they don't have being the inferior team going against them.
Could.

As Clone said, Superstar logic dictates the Mavericks will win due to Luka.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Does anyone else think it's wild that the Pacers have been to the ECF 7 times in the last 26 years?
Pacers build a bunch of really good teams, but are always missing the one thing required in the NBA... a superstar.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
It seems like it because they haven't won anything, but they have managed to seamlessly move from era to era Miller > Artest > PG > Haliburton. A constantly weak east helped.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It seems like it because they haven't won anything, but they have managed to seamlessly move from era to era Miller > Artest > PG > Haliburton. A constantly weak east helped.
The Pacers have done this with only having 1 Top 5 pick since they drafted Reggie Miller in 1987 (They picked Rik Smits at #2 in 1988). The highest pick they've had since is #6 in 2022.

The team knows how to draft from 6-whatever and also are good at making trades that elevate them. They know how to stay actually competitive, and when it doesn't work, they are generally quick to break it apart (like they did after suffering 5 straight 1st round losses).

Team has had ECF appearances in 94, 95, 98, 99, 00, 04, 2013, 2014, and 2024.

Meanwhile the Bulls have had one since Jordan retired in 1998.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Pacers have done this with only having 1 Top 5 pick since they drafted Reggie Miller in 1987 (They picked Rik Smits at #2 in 1988). The highest pick they've had since is #6 in 2022.

The team knows how to draft from 6-whatever and also are good at making trades that elevate them. They know how to stay actually competitive, and when it doesn't work, they are generally quick to break it apart (like they did after suffering 5 straight 1st round losses).

Team has had ECF appearances in 94, 95, 98, 99, 00, 04, 2013, 2014, and 2024.

Meanwhile the Bulls have had one since Jordan retired in 1998.
Indiana is a small market team who knows it's a small market team and can't screw around year after year forcing square pegs into round holes.

Bulls on the other hand are a large market team who operates like a small market team and usually does just enough to build a team that has a 2nd round ceiling. Though I suppose when they luck themselves into a potential super Bulls do start remembering they are a big market, but that window closed quickly when Jimmy decided he was done with this franchise.

Really the Pacers have managed to operate quite well without a super. Time will tell if Haliburton becomes one or not, but they've had some pretty good 2nd tier stars who they moved at the right times to keep them interesting (PG, Sabonis). Bulls like to hold onto their players until all trade value is gone and then trade them, usually.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think since Lebron was drafted the east has had maybe like 3 other supers (KG in 08, DWade, and DRose in 2011)? Lots of 2nd tier guys, but no legit supers in pretty much that entire timeframe. I guess you can count half a season of Kawhi when the Raptors won it.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think since Lebron was drafted the east has had maybe like 3 other supers (KG in 08, DWade, and DRose in 2011)? Lots of 2nd tier guys, but no legit supers in pretty much that entire timeframe. I guess you can count half a season of Kawhi when the Raptors won it.

Giannis? Embiid? Technically Durant too, even though the Nets weren't great.

Dwight Howard may count, depending on your criteria.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Giannis? Embiid? Technically Durant too, even though the Nets weren't great.

Dwight Howard may count, depending on your criteria.
I think I was mostly just thinking of the time Lebron was in the East actually. But I did miss Dwight.

Post Lebron, Giannis and Embiid are supers, yes. KD I would still say yes, maybe even Kyrie as well except he didn't play enough.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Could.

As Clone said, Superstar logic dictates the Mavericks will win due to Luka.

Would we rate Luka over Tatum? I think they're about on par with each other. Tatum is the better defender, Luka is the better passer. Everything else, they're in the same ballpark as each other, I'd say.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

yeah, the East being weak definitely helps.

It's just crazy to me that, in that same timeframe, it isn't unreasonable to say that the Pacers have probably been the 4th best franchise in the East haha. I know the Bucks, Raptors, and Pistons won a title, but they've been more bad than good, while the Pacers have almost consistently been decent, minus the 3 seasons before this one.