Around the NBA (Non-Bulls) Thread - 2023-2024 Season

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
At least have other people make the bets for you. Find some rando that has no connections to you to place some occasional bets and give him a cut!
What really got him caught was an 80,000 dollar parlay on all unders on him to win like 1.2 million. I don't think it was him who placed it. He played 3 minutes and checked himself out with an "illness". The sports book froze the bet. Didn't pay it and contacted the NBA. Probably the dumbest move I ever heard.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jamal Murray has been such ass. Nuggets should be killing the Lakers

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As I write that hahahahahah

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Murray was ass, minus game winning shot, and they still win.

I just won't be shocked if Denver sweeps LA again.

Reactions: BNB

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Murray is Ben Gordon if he developed his PG skills. Down to shooting like shit then hitting the game winner.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
MIP goes to Tyrese Maxey, Coby was a close second but NOT GOOD ENOUGH

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
MIP goes to Tyrese Maxey, Coby was a close second but NOT GOOD ENOUGH

I don't agree with Maxey getting it.

It's not because he isn't good.... it's because we already knew he was and basically played at this level a year ago. The only difference is that he had more opportunity to score with Joel being injured for half the season and with Harden's departure.

Coby White actually IMPROVED, which to me is the essence of the award. Maxey's talent has been good, he was just able to get more shots and had the ball in his hands more.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

It's not because he isn't good.... it's because we already knew he was and basically played at this level a year ago. The only difference is that he had more opportunity to score with Joel being injured for half the season and with Harden's departure.

Coby White actually IMPROVED, which to me is the essence of the award. Maxey's talent has been good, he was just able to get more shots and had the ball in his hands more.
Of all the players who have won MIP, Maxey is the only one who in the previous year averaged more than 20 ppg.

• Wow

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well Heat just beat Celtics to tie the series.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

the analytics say otherwise...

Maxey = Win Shares last year @ 5.4 and this year 8.1
VORP last year @ 1.3 and this year 3.4

White = Win shares last year @ 3.1 and this year 4.7
VORP last year @ 0.5 and this year 0.9

Last edited:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Maxey = Win Shares last year @ 5.4 and this year 8.1 VORP last year @ 1.3 and this year 3.4
White = Win shares last year @ 3.1 and this year 4.7 VORP last year @ 0.5 and this year 0.9
So....Coby might actually be in the running for most regressed player instead?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Maxey made the all-star team, had 3 50 point games, and carried the Sixers to a better record than the Bulls with Joel missing half of the season. I think Coby could have taken it had he repeated his ATL performance against Miami and got the Bulls into the playoffs though.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Maxey = Win Shares last year @ 5.4 and this year 8.1 VORP last year @ 1.3 and this year 3.4
White = Win shares last year @ 3.1 and this year 4.7 VORP last year @ 0.5 and this year 0.9

The point I was making was that Maxey was already known as a very good player last year. Hell, in his second season people were already talking about how good he was. Watching him this season, he didn't look like a MUCH better player. The difference is that he had the ball in hands more with Harden gone and was able to shoot more with Embiid missing time/Harden gone, so it gave him more opportunity to make an impact. His level of play didn't really vastly though.

I think this is a good example of advanced stats not telling the full story/putting things into context.

Giannis had a massive jump in win shares this year compared to last, and a pretty sizable increase in VORP. But we wouldn't say he's the most improved player. His situation just allowed those particular numbers to improve. Same with Maxey. And it can be said that last year was just a down year for Giannis because this year's win shares were close to previous highs.... but that can be said for Maxey too. While it was 8.1 this year compared to 5.4 last year, it was 7.3 the year before last.

Nikola Jokic has also had a nice bump in WS and VORP, and that's consistently getting better every year, but no one will say that he deserved to be in contention for MIP.