Article: Whatever happens, the Bears must keep Cutler

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He'll they've been doing that since 2009

In 2009 I could see the comparisons would make more sense. After that though Rodgers put up some wild ass numbers and put his name up there with the best in the league.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
That's your opinion. I think that he did a fine job of spreading the ball around before Marshall got here, and when Marshall got here he Cutler had unwavering trust in him, and no trust in anyone else. Mix that with injuries to Jeffery and Bennett, and he was basically throwing the ball to Marshall and scrubs. Hester and Davis make numerous mistakes each game, and if the game is on the line who would Cutler throw it to. Who would you throw it to, a Beast of a WR, or a scrub TE/glorified return man? Seems like an obvious answer to me. The throw that always comes to mind when people say Cutler zeroed in on Marshall was the slant to Hester against the Vikings? that had he simply caught an uncontested pass he would have walked into the endzone. Wonder why he has so much confidence to throw the ball to Marshall.

It still baffled me how little Forte was used in the passing game compared to years past.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
In 2009 I could see the comparisons would make more sense. After that though Rodgers put up some wild ass numbers and put his name up there with the best in the league.
I think everyone was optimistic, then 2010 came along and was pretty obvious

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It still baffled me how little Forte was used in the passing game compared to years past.

Yeah that surprised me too. I would assume that Tice *wanted* to succeed as OC, but it would seem that all his decisions went against that. Forte is awesome in open field, and coming out of the backfield. Why wouldn't you get him the ball? Another thing that surprised me was how often we used multiple TE's even though the ones we had sucked. I thought I read on this board somewhere that the Bears were in the top of the league in multiple tight end sets. Ridiculous.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah that surprised me too. I would assume that Tice *wanted* to succeed as OC, but it would seem that all his decisions went against that. Forte is awesome in open field, and coming out of the backfield. Why wouldn't you get him the ball?

No worries; Trestman will make sure he gets the ball a lot.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Even I used to say Cutler was as good as Rodgers. I argued that with Packer Fan for months over that summer when we got him.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Yeah that surprised me too. I would assume that Tice *wanted* to succeed as OC, but it would seem that all his decisions went against that. Forte is awesome in open field, and coming out of the backfield. Why wouldn't you get him the ball? Another thing that surprised me was how often we used multiple TE's even though the ones we had sucked. I thought I read on this board somewhere that the Bears were in the top of the league in multiple tight end sets. Ridiculous.

The lack of creativity from Tice was astounding. There were times when Cutler tried to get the ball to forte in space. But always seemed like a lb was closing in on him so he had little or no time to make him miss.

Considering Forte was Cutlers best outlet receiver in Martz offense one would think Tice would attempt to install similar formations, so it's not Beast all day, all the time.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

The day Tice was promoted I questioned whether Tice could build an offense that would cater to our playmakers strengths or would he build one that placated our line's weaknesses. Yeah...can you guess which route he went?

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even I used to say Cutler was as good as Rodgers. I argued that with Packer Fan for months over that summer when we got him.

In 09 Rodgers was largely unproven. He had a great year in 08, but that was his only year. Now their careers are on separate paths. Hopefully Trestman helps Cutler turn his around this year. As for Forte, if he gets used like he should this year, mixed in with Marshall, Cutler should have a good year.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right, it can't possibly mean that the rest of our receivers couldn't get open or Jay didn't trust them. The part I find particularly hilarious was the amount of examples you can find just on youtube videos where Cutler looks at his #1 read sees them, and who it is or that they are open, and still goes to Marshall instead. You sir, Fail.

I'm sorry, what does this prove?

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
In 09 Rodgers was largely unproven. He had a great year in 08, but that was his only year. Now their careers are on separate paths. Hopefully Trestman helps Cutler turn his around this year. As for Forte, if he gets used like he should this year, mixed in with Marshall, Cutler should have a good year.

Yep. Marshall is clearly top 5 WR in the NFL and we all know how talented Forte is, especially catching the ball. M. Bennett was a HUGE upgrade and if AJ stays healthy we should have some talent on the O. Emery has done what he can in upgrading the Oline but it's still a huge question mark. Hopefully Trestman understands how to use the weapons he has on O unlike Da Tice. I think 95% of us hope Cutler has a much better year with the changes on O.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think 100% of us hope Cutler has a better year. Some don't expect it due to his past, some believe he will have his best year as a Bear, and some are on the fence. But I think I speak for everybody when I say everyone wants the Bears to win and a big part of that requires the man under center to have a good year.

I think I've summed it all up, lets close or merge this thing.

Look at the monkey!
Monkey.jpg

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Or, it says that he didn't feel his line was giving him enough time to look for his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th options.

This year we should find out hopefully which it is.

Does that mean he still couldn't throw it away?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Right, it can't possibly mean that the rest of our receivers couldn't get open or Jay didn't trust them. The part I find particularly hilarious was the amount of examples you can find just on youtube videos where Cutler looks at his #1 read sees them, and who it is or that they are open, and still goes to Marshall instead. You sir, Fail.

I never bitched about him forcing the ball to Marshall in my comments in his thread.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does that mean he still couldn't throw it away?

This is the angle that people should be taking. Cutler needs to throw the ball away if nothing is there. My problem is with people saying that "he doesnt know how to read a defense" like they would actually know that. Pretty sure he could not have gotten to where he is if he could not read a defense.