HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rodgers is also the best QB in football.

But still, yeah he could suffer a serious injury at any time with that line.

No objections here, I readily recognize he's elite.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Didn't stop Greenbay from extending Rodgers and he has absorbed a lot of hits himself.

the big difference is that Rodgers outplayed his last contract with his production. They both take a fair amount of hits. We still hear a lot of the of talk of potential of Cutler, it might happen this year.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
the big difference is that Rodgers outplayed his last contract with his production. They both take a fair amount of hits. We still hear a lot of the of talk of potential of Cutler, it might happen this year.

So what, he still runs the risk of turning into Gary Busey with added concussions so the point stands. Its not something you can pick and choose. Either its a negative for all QBs with cuncussion issues or none of them. Can't have it both ways.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
What point stands? That you let the best QB in football walk because he's had 2 documented concussions?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Correct, I didn't see your point

I never really stated it. It was implied. Pretty much don't see the point to bringing up old concussions when they certainly are not something within his or any quarterback's control for that matter. That would be like me saying well Jay we got you fucked up and now were going to pay you less because we didn't want to bother to protect you. Good luck with that.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I never really stated it. It was implied. Pretty much don't see the point to bringing up old concussions when they certainly are not something within his or any quarterback's control for that matter. That would be like me saying well Jay we got you fucked up and now were going to pay you less because we didn't want to bother to protect you. Good luck with that.

That's when you let him sign with Browns

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How much of a gamble is it really? Accept mediocrity and you will be mediocre.

I would say it is a big gamble. You never really know how a rookie QB is gonna turn out. I'm sure that there were "can't miss QB's" that came out of college, that were a bust. Even if Cutler was mediocre, he is a step up from Cade McNown. I am not saying this train of thought is correct, I am just saying that is an angle people are using to keep Cutler. I am more in the middle. I don't think Cutler is mediocre, I think he is a good QB with a ton of potential put in a bunch of shitty situations. That being said, I still would like the Bears to pick up a QB to help push him, or replace him if need be. I really wanted Landry Jones this year, but that didn't work out. Don't know how he is gonna be, but I thought he had some good potential. I would also like them to bring in Jordan Rodgers(?). I think that he could also have potential, and if Trestman is a QB guru like people say he is, I think it is worth a shot.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would say it is a big gamble. You never really know how a rookie QB is gonna turn out. I'm sure that there were "can't miss QB's" that came out of college, that were a bust. Even if Cutler was mediocre, he is a step up from Cade McNown. I am not saying this train of thought is correct, I am just saying that is an angle people are using to keep Cutler. I am more in the middle. I don't think Cutler is mediocre, I think he is a good QB with a ton of potential put in a bunch of shitty situations. That being said, I still would like the Bears to pick up a QB to help push him, or replace him if need be. I really wanted Landry Jones this year, but that didn't work out. Don't know how he is gonna be, but I thought he had some good potential. I would also like them to bring in Jordan Rodgers(?). I think that he could also have potential, and if Trestman is a QB guru like people say he is, I think it is worth a shot.
If the QB was better, you'd have a point but when you have an average QB I think the risk is diminished especially when you consider it may be even more risky to sign Cutler to another long term contract. I honestly would have expected Trestman to pick a QB he felt strongly about either in the draft or by trade, the situation being what it is. I don't get the point of letting your QB play out his final year but still not having a backup or prospect worth a damn. Bears always seem to do these things halfassed but I still wouldn't let it scare me into re-signing Cutler.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the QB was better, you'd have a point but when you have an average QB I think the risk is diminished especially when you consider it may be even more risky to sign Cutler to another long term contract. I honestly would have expected Trestman to pick a QB he felt strongly about either in the draft or by trade, the situation being what it is. I don't get the point of letting your QB play out his final year but still not having a backup or prospect worth a damn. Bears always seem to do these things halfassed but I still wouldn't let it scare me into re-signing Cutler.

I agree with this 100%. I understand why we didn't go QB early, but I was surprised we didn't take one later in the draft. I wouldn't re-sign Cutler if he flames out this season, but if he produces better, with close to a 2td 1int ratio, then I would sign him.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I actually can't wait to see the Cutler threads post week 1. Thats gonna be some good reading.

Last year people were comparing him to Aaron Rodgers, so yeah it was pretty funny

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:

Who said it has to be a long term deal? And who said Trestman doesn't feel strongly about Cutler? Trestman might privately think Cutler can do it, but is pushing his buttons to get the most out of him and wants to see if Cutler responds before committing to him, which is a wise move. Even so, if you don't think Cutler is the guy, he still can get you wins and can be a real solid fill in until you draft a guy you do feel strongly about. So yeah, a 3 year deal wouldn't exactly be a back breaker if Cutler doesn't live up to his potential this year. Because let's be very clear - Cutler doesn't suck. He is wildly inconsistent, can play at a very high level or a very low one. If he can just manage to raise the floor on his potential and limit his poor play, there's no way you get rid of him.

The question is, can he do that? As much as people claim its excuses, there were valid reasons that weren't just his fault as to why he couldn't live up to the lofty expectations. This year, its the "No Excuses" tour. Emery has given Jay every tool to succeed - tools he SHOULD have had to begin with. I'd argue that this year is the first real evaluation of Cutler we're getting. And you can blame Angelo and Lovie for that. That doesn't absolve Cutler of his own flaws, but neither should Jerry and Lovie skirt the blame and have their mismanagment put on Cutler's shoulders. If for nothing else, I'm excited this year because as I said, its no excuses time for Jay. Either he is going to be what Trestman wants by the end of this, or he won't be. And finally it will be someone who knows offense and has had success with different offenses on different teams doing the evaluation, and not someone who doesn't know what he's looking at.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He will buy in, he really doesn't have a choice. The question for me is, can he display the knack for "throwing the ball away and living to fight another day" someone else posted in another thread. I don't want him to take no chances, but the chances he does take have to be smarter than the down by three from the 10 yard line, fuck it I'm throwing to Marshall.

me & 'first timer" said he should learn to throw it away. jay having the " fuck it I'm throwing to Marshall" attitude does not and will not win games. It just shows he's can not read "D" well enuff to look for his 2nd, 3rd & 4th options.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
me & 'first timer" said he should learn to throw it away. jay having the " fuck it I'm throwing to Marshall" attitude does not and will not win games. It just shows he's can not read "D" well enuff to look for his 2nd, 3rd & 4th options.

Or, it says that he didn't feel his line was giving him enough time to look for his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th options.

This year we should find out hopefully which it is.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

That's your opinion. I think that he did a fine job of spreading the ball around before Marshall got here, and when Marshall got here he Cutler had unwavering trust in him, and no trust in anyone else. Mix that with injuries to Jeffery and Bennett, and he was basically throwing the ball to Marshall and scrubs. Hester and Davis make numerous mistakes each game, and if the game is on the line who would Cutler throw it to. Who would you throw it to, a Beast of a WR, or a scrub TE/glorified return man? Seems like an obvious answer to me. The throw that always comes to mind when people say Cutler zeroed in on Marshall was the slant to Hester against the Vikings? that had he simply caught an uncontested pass he would have walked into the endzone. Wonder why he has so much confidence to throw the ball to Marshall.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Right, it can't possibly mean that the rest of our receivers couldn't get open or Jay didn't trust them. The part I find particularly hilarious was the amount of examples you can find just on youtube videos where Cutler looks at his #1 read sees them, and who it is or that they are open, and still goes to Marshall instead. You sir, Fail.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Right, it can't possibly mean that the rest of our receivers couldn't get open or Jay didn't trust them. The part I find particularly hilarious was the amount of examples you can find just on youtube videos where Cutler looks at his #1 read sees them, and who it is or that they are open, and still goes to Marshall instead. You sir, Fail.

Blame the canadian educational system :p