Article: Whatever happens, the Bears must keep Cutler

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
To Campbell's credit though, he didn't throw costly INT's, which oddly enough might have been a bigger deciding factor in that game.

Sounds like you are saying its better not to try at all than it is to try and fail.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Was their 2 fumbles at the beginning of that game? Bush and Davis (unless I'm mixing up the game). I cant recall the INTs that were thrown, gonna go back and look at them to see if they were bad throws or what. While true, Campbell did not throw any INTs, he was definitely not trying to win the game. I think he had that one big throw to Marshall, then a bunch of dump offs.
If I recall both INT's were near the goalline...one was to Davis...and the other one was to Marshall I believe (this was after the hit).

Still...given the field position...that practically took points off the board. I believe Bush's fumble was a similar instance

EDIT: The INT to Marshall was at the HOU 25...not near the goalline.

Last edited:

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I recall both INT's were near the goalline...one was to Davis...and the other one was to Marshall I believe (this was after the hit).

Still...given the field position...that practically took points off the board. I believe Bush's fumble was a similar instance

I agree they took points of the board. Just a shitty game overall by the offense.

Edit: Do you have video?

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
You should put back on the headphones

Hey, I'm not the one who said of Campbell's abysmal performance "at least he didn't turn the ball over!"

You reply with snark because I caught you right between the eyes.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I agree they took points of the board. Just a shitty game overall by the offense.

Edit: Do you have video?
Not on me.

I'm just recalling from watching the game...I think the pass to Davis was just Davis being Davis...but the INT thrown to Marshall was just bad.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Hey, I'm not the one who said of Campbell's abysmal performance "at least he didn't turn the ball over!"

You reply with snark because I caught you right between the eyes.

You really need to troll better

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Do you employ similar logic to the notion of drafting new QBs?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Of course not...20 mil/year is a bargain for a rental QB

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Do you employ similar logic to the notion of drafting new QBs?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

No, but I am curious. As the guy who was leading the ole Rex Grossman Cult back in its heydey in 2005-2007, how is it you made every excuse in the world for him, yet we now have Cutler, who is at least FAR better than Grossman and yet you can't wait to get rid of him?

Just seems odd, unless it's piss and vinegar left over from a while ago because it was Cutler's arrival that caused both Rex and Orton to go "byebye".

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
What does Grossman have to do with Cutler underachieving?

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What about good ol' Chad Hutchinson? My favorite.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Anyway, before the loser brigade tries to bait me into defending a straw man argument, this is my position on Cutler.

Wait to see what he does this season and then sign him to a short extension, no longer than 3 years, pay consumate with how he performed. Monitor the QB's coming out of the draft. If as a GM, Emery sees a QB he and Trest can agree would be an upgrade to Cutler, then pull the trigger. But don't feel like you HAVE to get a QB this draft - if the guy you really like is going to be coming out 2 drafts from now, you make due with Cutler till then.

People get so caught up in this whole pissing contest over keeping or launching Cutler. I personally still see the potential in Cutler and how the previous GM and coaching staff provided little to no support for him, but have no overwhelming attachment to him as the QB of the Bears long term. All I care about is if you DO decide that Cutler isn't "the guy", then handle it SMART.

People here are bitching about the cap hit from franchising him and saying that isn't smart - but in the NFL where you are judged by wins and losses, its even less smart to just launch a guy you've had winning seasons with at the helm to put in a freshly drafted rookiee and then expect miracles. Too many meatheads fall in love with a single season of performance from several rookiees and start thinking "hey, we could be next!"

NFL historically just hasn't worked that way. Kaepernick, RGIII, Russell Wilson - I bet at least one if not two of those guys come back to earth this season (I do think Andrew Luck is the real deal). Remember when Cam Newton was ALL the RAGE during his first season with the Panthers? Second season was a cold shower on that first season.

THAT is the part I find maddening - the people who bitch about QBs act like its a guarantee anyone you draft would be better than Cutler, so get rid of Cutler and go draft someone. That's just incredibly moronic right now. Better to have Cutler around short term to give you some cover at the position, and target 2 or 3 specific QBs in the hopes that if you go all out one draft you can land one of them, and don't limit it to just this next draft, but the next 2 or 3.

Alluding back to Rex Grossman - you look at that draft for quarterbacks, and there was Carson Palmer as your #1 draft pick...and EVERY other QB in that draft class was SHIT. ALL of them. Just because you have a need going into a particular draft, doesn't mean the guy who's the right fit for you is in that next immediate draft, and I expect the Bears GM to be smarter than to just get whoever the popular QB of the next draft is just to say they got a guy. Take their time, wait it out for the right draft if need be, and then pull the trigger. Have Cutler there to bridge the gap (he's not getting any younger anyway). And then have the young guy sit a season and learn.

Because right now, this team with this aging defense is in a win now mode. We can't waste years developing a QB. Yet thats the problem - NFL is always win now, and when do you do it and how? Thats what I mean by I want them to be smart about it, and provide as much cover for the position as they can.

TLDR: I do like Cutler as our QB, but don't object to replacing him, as long as it isn't done in the half-assed stupid manner the usual anti-cutler trolls are always suggesting.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
You've said this in another thread