A'Shawn Robinson...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great, he played for a brilliant defensive coach in a system that closely resembles NFL defenses.

What does that have to do with Robinson's ability and traits as a prospect? (speaking from an evaluation perspective)

Besides the fact that he got a lot of exposure and coverage playing at Alabama.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

He was a standout for one of the best defenses in the country. People tend to notice that.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
He was a standout for one of the best defenses in the country. People tend to notice that.
I'm not saying the guy isn't an NFL caliber player. I'm saying that I think he's overrated and projecting ceiling as a pass rusher isn't fair because he hasn't shown it on tape. And because he played at Alabama, that name recognition certainly helps him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's great, but he still doesn't have any natural pass rushing traits.

The only move he's shown is a bull rush.

If he wasn't from Alabama I don't think he'd be ranked nearly as high as he is.

I think if he went to Louisiana Tech or Baylor he would have been dominant.

I think Robinson would have chewed up those Lousiana Rajun Cajun OLmen all day.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
His athletic numbers are not bad. They are fairly average when compared to the rest of the class.

Agreed, he has no pass rush technique.

But saying he does not have pass rush traits is flat wrong,

-34.5" arms are exceptionally long and a pass rush asset.
-he is strong enough at 20 to throw around SEC lineman, again an asset.
-He has decent foot quickness

He is not Aaron Donald, and he is not going to get 8-10 sacks, but that does not make him a useless pass rusher. Some teams want them front line players to power rush the line back and maintain gap discipline.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Everyone with DL are to enamoured with flash plays.

Yeah a guy jumps the snap and gets a quick sack and looks awesome, and then plays like ass for 10 snaps, or jumps out of hai gap trying to make a big play.

I am okay with some consistency and discipline.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
His athletic numbers are not bad. They are fairly average when compared to the rest of the class.

Agreed, he has no pass rush technique.

But saying he does not have pass rush traits is flat wrong,

-34.5" arms are exceptionally long and a pass rush asset.
-he is strong enough at 20 to throw around SEC lineman, again an asset.
-He has decent foot quickness

He is not Aaron Donald, and he is not going to get 8-10 sacks, but that does not make him a useless pass rusher. Some teams want them front line players to power rush the line back and maintain gap discipline.
What I mean by traits are instincts and natural ability. What you're talking about, to me, are measurables.

He hasn't shown it in 3 years so expecting that to change at the next level is wishful thinking, even if he is young and raw.

It's not like he's a first year player either. He's gotten significant playing time since he was a freshman.

AussieBear

What I mean by traits are instincts and natural ability. What you're talking about, to me, are measurables.

He hasn't shown it in 3 years so expecting that to change at the next level is wishful thinking, even if he is young and raw.

It's not like he's a first year player either. He's gotten significant playing time since he was a freshman.

thing is, after those "blue chips" if no one falls to 11... there a handful of guys you can debate depending on what you like about their game.. a Robinson is one of those guys who can be taken at 11 or could drop to the 20s...

thats why i think even the 3rd QBs value comes into play at 11 if he is sitting there...

GSH_34

Liked Posts:

Yeah a guy jumps the snap and gets a quick sack and looks awesome, and then plays like ass for 10 snaps, or jumps out of hai gap trying to make a big play.

It really has not thing to do with flash plays. It's the fact he's shown no pass rush ability outside of a bull rush in 3 years.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
thing is, after those "blue chips" if no one falls to 11... there a handful of guys you can debate depending on what you like about their game.. a Robinson is one of those guys who can be taken at 11 or could drop to the 20s...

thats why i think even the 3rd QBs value comes into play at 11 if he is sitting there...
I just don't feel like Robinson should be one of those 2nd tier guys.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Amen!

A big boy Like Robison can still help the pass rush by tying up consistent double teams and enabling team mates to get to the QB. To many people get tied up in some of these picks that "might" develop into something special, when the real deal is starting them in the face.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Too bad most of the people who make a living following the draft disagree with you.

Guess we'll see who's right when the real professionals get their say in two weeks.

AussieBear

well if you value a young space eating run defender who can collapse the pocket he does... but hes got flaws to his game for sure...

there are so many DL prospects in this draft.. i find it difficult in making a list of who i like the most.. then you got those tweeners that you can throw in the mix if they are long term projects at DE rather than OLB.... im interested in seeing how it actually plays out..i cant wait for the speculations to end

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Too bad most of the people who make a living following the draft disagree with you.

Guess we'll see who's right when the real professionals get their say in two weeks.
Ah yes, the 'most draft evaluators disagree with you line.' Well, according to LaConfora maybe not.

You're right, I guess we'll see. Fact is, at least I've tried to state my opinion with what I've seen. All you done is, 'herp derp, everyone else disagrees with you and here's what I understand he is.'

Have it watched his tape? Do you have any thoughts of your own or are you going to keep regurgitating what you've heard in the media and on this board?

At least Windy has watched him, even though we disagree on his value as a prospect.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
well if you value a young space eating run defender he does... but hes got flaws to his game for sure...
there are so many DL prospects in this draft.. i find it difficult in making a list of who i like the most.. then you got those tweeners that you can throw in the mix if they are long term projects at DE rather than OLB.... im interested in seeing how it actually plays out..i cant wait for the speculations to end

I find it difficult too. I think after Buckner they're all pretty closely bunched.

I also read there were concerns from teams during the Combine interviews about Robinson's passion and commitment for football. I'll try and dig up the link.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ah yes, the 'most draft evaluators disagree with you line.' Well, according to LaConfora maybe not.

You're right, I guess we'll see. Fact is, at least I've tried to state my opinion with what I've seen. All you done is, 'herp derp, everyone else disagrees with you and here's what I understand he is.'

Have it watched his tape? Do you have any thoughts of your own or are you going to keep regurgitating what you've heard in the media and on this board?

At least Windy has watched him, even though we disagree on his value as a prospect.

LOL. I've watched all these guys WAY too much. Unlike you I don't pretend to be an NFL scout so I tend to defer to people who actually have done this at a high level like Casserly or Gabriel etc.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
LOL. I've watched all these guys WAY too much. Unlike you I don't pretend to be an NFL scout so I tend to defer to people who actually have done this at a high level like Casserly or Gabriel etc.
I'm not pretending to be anything. I'm telling you what I see and I'm not a big fan of Gabriel.

I've also seen a few analysts and professionals who aren't high on Robinson either and don't believe he'll be anything more than a run stuffer.

Just like how I'm really high on Floyd yet a lot of people aren't. They see him differently than I do.

AussieBear

I find it difficult too. I think after Buckner they're all pretty closely bunched.

I also read there were concerns from teams during the Combine interviews about Robinson's passion and commitment for football. I'll try and dig up the link.

well considering we arent in the bears office, we dont know what they are valuing and specifically looking for from certain positions.. that makes it harder too.. unless theres an dominant all-rounder that transcends any specific scheme.. it makes it difficult to peg exactly what they want and how they want to use them...

im not a vic expert, and i have really only seen him in action last year..so i really dont know him, what hes about and what he ultimately wants to get out of his scheme.... but according to crap ive read, he works around his players fits.. rather than looking for exact fits

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
well considering we arent in the bears office, we dont know what they are valuing and specifically looking for from certain positions.. that makes it harder too.. unless theres an dominant all-rounder that transcends any specific scheme.. it makes it difficult to peg exactly what they want and how they want to use them...

im not a vic expert, and i have really only seen him in action last year..so i really dont know him, what hes about and what he ultimately wants to get out of his scheme.... but according to crap ive read, he works around his players fits.. rather than looking for exact fits
Oh I agree and if we take A'Shawn, it'll be because they value him highly as a run stuffer and he was the highest ranked player on their board.

If that happens I'll be back here eating my words. I just don't like what I see that much and I don't think he's ever going to to develop into a pass rusher.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
No matter who we pick I can almost guarantee they'll become good player because Fox and Vic are two of the best in the business at developing defensive talent.

So if it's Robinson, you can bet that he'll become a really good to elite run stuffer.