A'Shawn Robinson...

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Jarran Reed is a better player and prospect than Robinson and will definitely be available. If you just want a steady, consistent and durable run stopper...Reed is a much better fit.

Reed plays with tremendous strength and leverage and moves quite well for a big man. Compares to guys like Dan Williams and Bennie Logan

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
well considering we arent in the bears office, we dont know what they are valuing and specifically looking for from certain positions.. that makes it harder too.. unless theres an dominant all-rounder that transcends any specific scheme.. it makes it difficult to peg exactly what they want and how they want to use them...

im not a vic expert, and i have really only seen him in action last year..so i really dont know him, what hes about and what he ultimately wants to get out of his scheme.... but according to crap ive read, he works around his players fits.. rather than looking for exact fits

Now I don't know if this was by design or circumstance, but Justin Smith and Ray McDonald weren't exactly sack artists with the 49ers.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Jarran Reed is a better player and prospect than Robinson and will definitely be available. If you just want a steady, consistent and durable run stopper...Reed is a much better fit.

Reed plays with tremendous strength and leverage and moves quite well for a big man. Compares to guys like Dan Williams and Bennie Logan

He's also 3 years older I believe.

AussieBear

Now I don't know if this was by design or circumstance, but Justin Smith and Ray McDonald weren't exactly sack artists with the 49ers.

smith also came in the league in the 260s as a 4-3 end with cincy??? if i remember correctly.. he did put up acceptable sack numbers in sf imo.. career avg with sf was roughly 6..more than ray for sure..

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:

I think you're right. I may be wrong, but I think Fangio prefers his 5-techs to two-gap which will allow his LBs to run more freely to the play and cause havoc (but he'll take those sacks from them also!). I'd rather address OT or CB in the 1st and grab a DL in the 2nd due to the fact that the class is so stacked this year. Or, trade back into the first where a guy like J. Reed or A. Robinson may fall to the later parts of round 1.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Justin Smith was a 10 sack a game player multiple times and thats what the Bears lack. We have guys that can play the Ray Mcdonald run stuffer role.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Justin Smith was a 10 sack a game player multiple times and thats what the Bears lack. We have guys that can play the Ray Mcdonald string side run stuffer role.

How about moving back into the 1st to grab a guy like Nkemdiche?

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
How about moving back into teh 1st to grab a guy like Nkemdiche?

I'd rather take him or Chris Jones in the second.

This draft is loaded with DL, no need to reach for a project in the 1st.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I'd rather take him or Chris Jones in the second.

This draft is loaded with DL, no need to reach for a project in the 1st.

I'd love either of those two, I just think both will be gone by 41. V. Butler, Reed, Robinson will be also IMO. Kenny Clark, Adolphus Washington, or Austin Johnson may be there at 41, though.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
I'd love either of those two, I just think both will be gone by 41. V. Butler, Reed, Robinson will be also IMO. Kenny Clark, Adolphus Washington, or Austin Johnson may be there at 41, though.

That still leaves Andrew Billings, Bronson Kafusi, Jonathan Bullard, Emanuel Ogbah...

This draft is loaded with DL options in the 1st two rounds. Not to mention the Jets have to come to their senses sooner or later.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
That still leaves Andrew Billings, Bronson Kafusi, Jonathan Bullard, Emanuel Ogbah...

This draft is loaded with DL options in the 1st two rounds. Not to mention the Jets have to come to their senses sooner or later.

I'd love to land Mo, just don't think its gonna happen. It just doesn't seem like Pace's style-dropping that much coin on one player. I'd love to have him, though. Forgot all about Bullard-guy is a stud-he'd by my pick at 41 if he's there. Can also kick him inside to 3-tech on passing downs. Ton of versatility.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Jets aren't getting a 1st round pick straight up for Mo and the sooner they accept that the better.

I have no reason to think Pace wont pay players their market value although he's been smart so far. They have the cap room so its a no brainer really.

Ronnie Stanley #11
Trade #41 for Mo Wilkerson or just draft Chris Jones.

Celebration ensues!

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Justin Smith was a 10 sack a game player multiple times and thats what the Bears lack. We have guys that can play the Ray Mcdonald run stuffer role.

This is wrong. Smith never had more than 8.5. He did that once as a 9er and once as a rookie.

His career average is slightly over 6 a season.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Smith was more of a Howie Long type than a sack artist. Whenever the Niners shifted out of their 3-4, Smith would play DT. The guy was a monster. One year he made All-Pro at both DE and DT because no one knew what to make of him. Being a 3-4 DE and then a pass-rush DT is probably the worst way to compile sacks, so yeah, he didn't get "10 sacks a game" (a la Norm Willey). But he was an elite player nonetheless. I'm sure the Bears thought they were getting the next Justin Smith when they signed Lamarr Houston, but the only way Houston can get any penetration is when he is a 3-4 OLB rusher. Not all that helpful in the overall scheme of things.

Also, Aldon Smith was absolutely useless whenever Justin was out of the game. Aldon would have never looked as good as he did without Justin.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Smith was more of a Howie Long type than a sack artist. Whenever the Niners shifted out of their 3-4, Smith would play DT. The guy was a monster. One year he made All-Pro at both DE and DT because no one knew what to make of him. Being a 3-4 DE and then a pass-rush DT is probably the worst way to compile sacks, so yeah, he didn't get "10 sacks a game" (a la Norm Willey). But he was an elite player nonetheless. I'm sure the Bears thought they were getting the next Justin Smith when they signed Lamarr Houston, but the only way Houston can get any penetration is when he is a 3-4 OLB rusher. Not all that helpful in the overall scheme of things.

100% agree he was elite. Was just pointing out a factual inaccuracy that he was not a 10 sack a year guy. Not trying to finish him in any way.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
This is wrong. Smith never had more than 8.5. He did that once as a 9er and once as a rookie.

His career average is slightly over 6 a season.

Hat tip, you were right about him not getting 10 sacks. It was Aldon that provided the heavy pass rush during Smiths later years.

The point remains that the Bears have players capable of filling the run stuffer role so there's little reason to spend #11 on another one.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hat tip, you were right about him not getting 10 sacks. It was Aldon that provided the heavy pass rush during Smiths later years.

The point remains that the Bears have players capable of filling the run stuffer role so there's little reason to spend #11 on another one.

Other than Goldman and Hicks who? This team finished 22nd in the league for rush yards per game. Simply adding Hicks won't solve the problem. Add an elite run stuffer like A'Shawn and then pick up some pass rush later in the draft IMO. All the top pass rushers are WAY too risky at 11.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Everyone is assuming that Robinson will not develop any pass rush.

He turned 21, 3 weeks ago, he has played 3 years of college football. In that time he managed to get to the QB more often than Nkemdiche and Butler.

Give him some time to continue to develop.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Other than Goldman and Hicks who? This team finished 22nd in the league for rush yards per game. Simply adding Hicks won't solve the problem. Add an elite run stuffer like A'Shawn and then pick up some pass rush later in the draft IMO. All the top pass rushers are WAY too risky at 11.

This is a 3-4 defense and shitty LB play has plenty to do with the poor rush yards per game.

You dont build a great 3-4 defense by investing in a wall off all-pro run stuffers. You need a great NT and LB play to control the run game.

The LDE/RDE are either plug and play big bodies like we already have or pass rushers.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This is a 3-4 defense and shitty LB play has plenty to do with the poor rush yards per game.

You dont build a great 3-4 defense by investing in a wall off all-pro run stuffers. You need a great NT and LB play to control the run game.

The LDE/RDE are either plug and play big bodies like we already have or pass rushers.

Who??? I count TWO good d lineman on this team and then a bunch of scrubs.