A'Shawn Robinson...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is a 3-4 defense and shitty LB play has plenty to do with the poor rush yards per game.

You dont build a great 3-4 defense by investing in a wall off all-pro run stuffers. You need a great NT and LB play to control the run game.

The LDE/RDE are either plug and play big bodies like we already have or pass rushers.

LB play is shitty at times because of what is in front of them.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Who??? I count TWO good d lineman on this team and then a bunch of scrubs.

I guess we'll disagree about Ego Ferguson for one. This draft is loaded with DL so whats so great about Robinson that we couldn't find later in the draft?

If you don't believe in the pass rushers at #11 then I guess we're lucky the Bears aren't set at other positions like OT/CB/QB/RB...

LB play is shitty at times because of what is in front of them.

I agree that's one reason you need a stud NT, but when it comes to value to the defense, run stuffing Ends aren't hard to find so why blow a high pick on one?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I guess we'll disagree about Ego Ferguson for one. This draft is loaded with DL so whats so great about Robinson that we couldn't find later in the draft?

If you don't believe in the pass rushers at #11 then I guess we're lucky the Bears aren't set at other positions like OT/CB/QB/RB...

I agree that's one reason you need a stud NT, but when it comes to value to the defense, run stuffing Ends aren't hard to find so why blow a high pick on one?

This thread is about A'Shawn so that's who I'm talking about. Obviously we have other needs. And yes, we disagree about Ego. He MAY still be good but I'll believe it when I see it.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

What evidence do you have that run stuffing lineman are easy to find?

Top teams in stopping the run, spend premium picks on the DL.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Top 5 Rush Defenses

5. Pittsburgh, Cam Heyward [1st round], Stephon Tuitt [2nd]

4. Carolina Panthers, Star Lotuleiu [1st], Kawann Short [2nd]

3. Denver Broncos, Sylvester Williams [1st], Derek Wolfe [2nd]

2. NY Jets, Sheldon Richardson [1st], Muhammad Wilkerson [1st], Leonard Williams [1st]

1. Seattle Seahawks, Michael Bennett [7 million/season], Cliff Abril [7 million],

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
The Top 5 Rush Defenses

5. Pittsburgh, Cam Heyward [1st round], Stephon Tuitt [2nd]

4. Carolina Panthers, Star Lotuleiu [1st], Kawann Short [2nd]

3. Denver Broncos, Sylvester Williams [1st], Derek Wolfe [2nd]

2. NY Jets, Sheldon Richardson [1st], Muhammad Wilkerson [1st], Leonard Williams [1st]

1. Seattle Seahawks, Michael Bennett [7 million/season], Cliff Abril [7 million],

I'll ignore that you switched from draft position to dollar amount for seattle, but how many of those 1st rounders were top 10ish picks versus late in the round?

There is a difference in being #11 and being #30. A'Shawn Robinson is a lesser prospect than guys like Lotuleli, Leonard Williams, etc and even they were drafted lower than they were expected.

So how do u justify taking a lesser prospect higher in a loaded draft? Thats poor draft management.

What evidence do you have that run stuffing lineman are easy to find?

See above...

You just proved it by listing good run stuffers picked all over the 1st and 2nd round. No need to blow #11 when you can find a run stuffer every year regardless of where you pick in the draft.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
well, I know you hate this argument.... but most draft experts (and some dumb fans like me) don't feel he is a lesser prospect. I think he's top 15 all day.

Show me anyone who has A'Shawn listed as one of the best DL prospects to come out in recent years...

He's one of the (many) good prospects THIS year but on comparison with recent top picks, I don't know that he's much higher than Danny Shelton was.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You ask for us to have faith that Leonard Floyd is going to develop the many missing pieces to his game and be worthy of the 11th pick.

But you do not give any chance for Robinson to improve his weaknesses?

To me they are very similar prospects, lots of upside, but also in need of significant development.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Honestly maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it stand to reason that even though a guy like Robinson might not be a big time pass rusher, the fact that he's a space eater helps the pass rush overall in the 30 front? If you have him, Hicks, and Goldman as your primary guys on the line, doesn't that free up McPhee/Young/Houston that much more?

I guess what I'm asking; would his current - meaning not yet developed - lack of pass rush skills hurt the Bears that much?

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Honestly maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it stand to reason that even though a guy like Robinson might not be a big time pass rusher, the fact that he's a space eater helps the pass rush overall in the 30 front? If you have him, Hicks, and Goldman as your primary guys on the line, doesn't that free up McPhee/Young/Houston that much more?

I guess what I'm asking; would his current - meaning not yet developed - lack of pass rush skills hurt the Bears that much?

A two down space eater isn't much help on 3rd and goal. It comes down to value with Robinson and if the Bears trade back to the back half of the 1st he's fine. Otherwise its bad draft management to spend a high pick on him.

You ask for us to have faith that Leonard Floyd is going to develop the many missing pieces to his game and be worthy of the 11th pick.

To me they are very similar prospects, lots of upside, but also in need of significant development.

I only see gaining weight and age as issues for Floyd. He's not the situational pass rusher some are declaring him to be. He shows very good coverage skills and was used in multiple ways at Georgia which shows how versatile he is as compared to Robinson, who people are claiming "wasn't allowed" to rush the passer and wasn't even a 3 down player in college.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:

Robinson had 3 years to develop his pass rushing skills, it didn't happen. If you take him, the expectation is that he's a 2 down space eater that clogs the run game and frees up the linebackers. Anything he gives you on top of that is a bonus, but not likely.

I watched a ton of his film looking for 1 play where he flashed pass rushing ability. A move, a burst up field, shooting the gap, getting skinny through the line.

It's not there. Shoot, even Jarran Reed had a play where he busted out a swim move even though he'll never be a pass rusher at the next level.

I think Robinson is being mis-evaluated because he's young and he's raw. So people think he has all this room to develop, but he's a 3 year player. He's had time to showcase different things and it hasn't happened.

Projecting his upside as a pass rusher isn't realistic because it's not there. There has to be some sort of natural ability already in place that a player can build on. Maybe Robinson is able to develop into a pass rusher, but his 3 years of film say otherwise and if you draft him thinking it's a possibility I think you're making a big mistake.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk