B-Hawks 2023-2024 Season Thread of Bedard

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There will be a lot of kids drafted that will have a far bigger chance at being an Uber driver than being an NHL Uber star.
Exactly. Even if guys like Fantilli will be NHL stars, the further you go, the less of a chance they amount to anything.

So with the re-cock-culous suggestion that Nashville give up all of their picks for #1?

15, 24, 46, 47, 68, 79, 83, 111, 115, 121, 143, 147, 175

What are the odds that any pick outside of 15 and 24 become NHL'ers? What are the odds that's 15 and 24 combined are as good as Bedard plus who we get at 19? That's what it boils down to. The rest of the picks in that "suggestion" are distractions.

*ADDENDUM*

Beyond 15 and 24 the rest are almost throw-aways and the odds are long they'll be anything worthwhile. The meat of the trade would be 15 and 24. Even those higher picks aren't guaranteed. and yeah, you might find a diamond in the rough lower down, but it's rare.

Let's go the the map:

2005 draft. Sidney Crosby is #1 (A decent possible Bedard comparable). So if we take the 2005 pick 1 for all of those other picks in the same draft. For shits and giggles, let's figure that out. Pittsburg trades #1 OA (consensus Crosby) for the picks listed in the 2005 draft. That would net:

Ryan O'marra. 33 NHL games total
TJ Oshie. Outstanding player, not Crosby.
Dustin Kohn. 22 NHL games total.
Tom Fritche. Who?
Evan Brophey. Yes, that guy. 4 NHL games.
Cody Franson. Not a bad player, but was just a guy.
Mikko Lehtonen. 2 NHL games total.
JD Watt. Who?
Janne Kolehmainen. Who?
Juraj Mikúš. The Center, not the defenseman. Never broke out of the Slovak league or the KHL.
Daren Machesney. Who?
Trevor Koverko. Who?
Juho Mielonen. Who?

So, looking at that hypothetical trade. For Sidney Crosby you'd get TJ Oshie and Cody Franson. plus a handful of guys who got a cup of coffee and a bunch of nothing players. Oshie is great, but not Crosby great and Franson doesn't sweeten the pot nearly enough.

Any GM who would have made a trade like that would deserve to be fired.

Last edited:

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly. Even if guys like Fantilli will be NHL stars, the further you go, the less of a chance they amount to anything.

So with the re-cock-culous suggestion that Nashville give up all of their picks for #1?

What are the odds that any pick outside of 15 and 24 become NHL'ers? What are the odds that's 15 and 24 combined are as good as Bedard plus who we get at 19? That's what it boils down to. The rest of the picks in that "suggestion" are distractions.

*ADDENDUM*

Beyond 15 and 24 the rest are almost throw-aways and the odds are long they'll be anything worthwhile. The meat of the trade would be 15 and 24. Even those higher picks aren't guaranteed. and yeah, you might find a diamond in the rough lower down, but it's rare.

Let's go the the map:

2005 draft. Sidney Crosby is #1 (A decent possible Bedard comparable). So if we take the 2005 pick 1 for all of those other picks in the same draft. For shits and giggles, let's figure that out. Pittsburg trades #1 OA (consensus Crosby) for the picks listed in the 2005 draft. That would net:

Tom Fritche. Who?
JD Watt. Who?
Janne Kolehmainen. Who?
Juraj Mikúš. The Center, not the defenseman. Never broke out of the Slovak league or the KHL.
Daren Machesney. Who?
Trevor Koverko. Who?
Juho Mielonen. Who?

So, looking at that hypothetical trade. For Sidney Crosby you'd get TJ Oshie and Cody Franson. plus a handful of guys who got a cup of coffee and a bunch of nothing players. Oshie is great, but not Crosby great and Franson doesn't sweeten the pot nearly enough.

Fired.
Out of a cannon.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

*ADDENDUM*

Let's go the the map:

Tom Fritche. Who?
JD Watt. Who?
Janne Kolehmainen. Who?
Daren Machesney. Who?
Trevor Koverko. Who?
Juho Mielonen. Who?

Just more proof that the study I quoted in #15 is legit. Trading down in the NHL is borderline lunacy.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
However,,,,,if you DON'T hit on 2nd thru 7th rounds, a franchise is NOT going to build a winner! If I remember correctly the BH's had 3 No. 1's of their own and 1 No. 1 from another team...(Hossa) on the 2010 team. Bolland, Crawford, Keith were 2nd Rd........Burish 9th, Hammer 4th, Versteg 5th, Byfuglin 8th, Brower 7th, Bickell 2nd, Ben Smith 6th and Kruger 5th. That's 11 players who had big minutes AND played vital roles on STs. Smith & Kruger on PK along with Bolland. Kruger on FOs, when Toews needed a rest. Brower was 1st or 2nd on the team in goals. The truth is you need a great Scouting team and hit on players throughout the whole draft!!!! This nonsense of hitting on just 1st rounders is absurd. Go ask Edmonton fans if you don't believe me! :snoop"

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins

*ADDENDUM*

Let's go the the map:

Tom Fritche. Who?
JD Watt. Who?
Janne Kolehmainen. Who?
Daren Machesney. Who?
Trevor Koverko. Who?
Juho Mielonen. Who?

Great post! Trivia info like this I really enjoy....thanks for doing the 'dirty work' to find it. And YES, anyone who thinks there's a chance of trading the 1st pick is ignorant, juvenile or naive of the situation.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Good trade for both clubs. Bruins clear cap and Hawks give up nothing to get two vets to help with rebuild. Hall is inexpensive and signed only for 2 years. Could easily trade him if he has a good season at his cap hit too. Foligno should sign for 1 year and likely is dealt at trade deadline.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Good trade for both clubs. Bruins clear cap and Hawks give up nothing to get two vets to help with rebuild. Hall is inexpensive and signed only for 2 years. Could easily trade him if he has a good season at his cap hit too. Foligno should sign for 1 year and likely is dealt at trade deadline.
Yup. I don't mind this trade. Works for both for the floor and ceiling.

Hall is getting a lot of attention but Foligno, that dude is a solid piece too, for a rebuilding team. He's long in the tooth and I think had some injuries last year, but still -- big body who loves to hit and who can drop the gloves. Good guy to have around a rebuilding team.

Hall -- top-six capable wing with decent size who can play with Bedard. Not sure if he'll be around when his contract is up, but for the short-term, it makes sense.

Mitchell -- this dude actually looked pretty decent at first with Lankinen, Kurashev and Suter when they all broke into the lineup a couple seasons ago, then he seemed to fall off a cliff. Change of scenery on a deeper team seems to cure many shitty Hawks d-men though, so you never know (Forsling, Kempny, Rutta, etc.)

Regula -- this was the one piece that I was a bit bummed about losing. I would have liked to see what this dude could do with more time, but I suppose it's better to part with him than a pick.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Detroit talk hockey insider claims cat is on the move and they will be taking highest bidder. Wings are in that mix they didn’t mention any other teams.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Detroit talk hockey insider claims cat is on the move and they will be taking highest bidder. Wings are in that mix they didn’t mention any other teams.
I read the other teams he had supposed interest in the other day but I can't remember the source now. They were teams that were obvious; I remember two were Dallas and Vegas; I want to say Florida was on there too. Detroit was really the only non-contender if I remember right, which makes sense because he's from there.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I read the other teams he had supposed interest in the other day but I can't remember the source now. They were teams that were obvious; I remember two were Dallas and Vegas; I want to say Florida was on there too. Detroit was really the only non-contender if I remember right, which makes sense because he's from there.
Eventually yzerman has to ice a playoff team they should be making moves the natives are getting restless

Granada

Liked Posts:
I like these moves too. Kurashev -- might as well give him another year, won't break the bank and still has some promise. It's refreshing to see the org. not giving up on a guy right away for a change. C. Jones -- kind of interesting here. I mean I wouldn't miss him, but it will be weird if they let him walk when they very easily could sign him at a cheap price and term, considering Seth is here. I get it, you should never make moves based on if one's brother is here, but still, this will be another shit year and C. Jones didn't play that bad this year. It almost seems like a message to Seth, as if Davidson wants to move him -- makes some sense, considering he's the last relic of the Bowman era. Then again, he'd have to retain a ton of salary long term, so I'm probably reading way too much into it.