Bears and Josh McCown met for breakfast to discuss a potential return to Chi

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glennon really sucks though, his accuracy is something else and not in a good way.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
McCown is the wrong former Tampa Bay QB to sign. If they want a former Buc to start at QB, give Mike Glennon a shot. I'd love to see them trade for him if TB doesn't release Glennon first and see if Gase could develop that kid and rescue him from offensive Lovietardation.

I doubt they release both qbs? They kept Glennon as insurance, for Winston. It makes alot more sense than keeping Josh.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Glennon has a weird long neck.

Neither are an answer.

Any answer at the QB position will have to come from the draft.

Which, based on the quality of the QBs coming out of college, means the Bears are fucked.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
He needs to go to Baltimore where Trestman is. Thats who he excelled under.

5 games against some of the shittiest defenses in the NFL is 'excelling'?

He had a nice, albeit very short run. Hell, if Dallas could catch, McCown would have had 5 picks that night.

Josh McCown has never 'excelled' in the NFL. He's a 36 year old career journeyman QB who was a bum for 98.7% of that tenure. He was abysmal in Tampa.

A phenomenally nice guy and a guy you want to root for.

But...I have no interest in a 36 year old journeyman QB to back up the starter. In this NFL, you are generally fucked if your back up is taking snaps on Sunday. It would be no different here.

Again, the most obvious place is Baltimore. Trestman as OC and Flacco's backup (something called Tyrod Taylor) is a free agent. Sign McCown. Let him hold the clipboard and be an awesome locker room/practice guy and pray that, like Taylor over the last 4 seasons, he never sees the field.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I don't know if we need him to back up Cutler.

We could use him to start while the Bears develop a QB, saving Cutler's salary.

Josh "more interceptions than touchdowns before 2013" and "he is not what he is yet after 10+ years" McCown.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
McCown is the wrong former Tampa Bay QB to sign. If they want a former Buc to start at QB, give Mike Glennon a shot. I'd love to see them trade for him if TB doesn't release Glennon first and see if Gase could develop that kid and rescue him from offensive Lovietardation.
Terrible o line, RB situation was a mess, Vincent Jackson sucks, no TE, o coordinator that came out of retirement but was more a college coach. McCown gets a pass from me.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Terrible o line, RB situation was a mess, Vincent Jackson sucks, no TE, o coordinator that came out of retirement but was more a college coach. McCown gets a pass from me.
Their o-coordinator had health issues all year round and never even coached a game.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:

You can apply that to many many teams in the NFL. Many teams have a mess of an RB situation. Jackson sucks? He had 70 receptions and 1,000 yards receiving. He also had Mike Evans, who had over 1,000 yards receiving and was in talks for Offensive ROY until Beckham turned shit on.

He gets no pass. The results are in. Guy is a 36 year old journeyman backup scrub who was out of football before the Bears pulled him off the couch.

Has a sub 59% career completion percentage. If you remove his fluke 5 games from the Bears in 2013, he has 48 career TDS to 58 career INTs.

Why would he get a 'pass'?

Peyton Manning played like shit at the end of the season last year. He's old and was hurt. HE gets a pass based on his body of work.

McCown should get no pass based on HIS body of work. What you saw from him in Tampa - 56% completion percentage, 11 TDS/14 Picks is precisely the player he's been his entire career, save for 5 flukey games in a Bears uniform.

Phenomenally nice guy and wish him nothing but success, but from his play on the field, he deserves you pass.

you-shall-not-pass1.jpg

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
McCown would be fine for a 1 yr contract. Maybe he could stay on the roster longer and I think he'd be an excellent qb coach and maybe develop into an OC. He's such a good guy, but he was asked to do too much in TB. He's a southern guy though and it seemed that his preference was to be closer to his home - didn't seem like he wanted to make Chicago home.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
You can apply that to many many teams in the NFL. Many teams have a mess of an RB situation. Jackson sucks? He had 70 receptions and 1,000 yards receiving. He also had Mike Evans, who had over 1,000 yards receiving and was in talks for Offensive ROY until Beckham turned shit on.

He gets no pass. The results are in. Guy is a 36 year old journeyman backup scrub who was out of football before the Bears pulled him off the couch.

Has a sub 59% career completion percentage. If you remove his fluke 5 games from the Bears in 2013, he has 48 career TDS to 58 career INTs.

Why would he get a 'pass'?

Peyton Manning played like shit at the end of the season last year. He's old and was hurt. HE gets a pass based on his body of work.

McCown should get no pass based on HIS body of work. What you saw from him in Tampa - 56% completion percentage, 11 TDS/14 Picks is precisely the player he's been his entire career, save for 5 flukey games in a Bears uniform.

Phenomenally nice guy and wish him nothing but success, but from his play on the field, he deserves you pass.

you-shall-not-pass1.jpg
i cant think of to many QB who had success under those situations in his firsy year with a team.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
McCown was a freaking blooper show in Tampa. He looked like he'd never even played the game. Don't know how Trestman did it, but that McCown was short lived and never too return.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
McCown would be fine for a 1 yr contract. Maybe he could stay on the roster longer and I think he'd be an excellent qb coach and maybe develop into an OC. He's such a good guy, but he was asked to do too much in TB. He's a southern guy though and it seemed that his preference was to be closer to his home - didn't seem like he wanted to make Chicago home.

Why do people want to take ex-players - albeit marginal ones - and make them 'coaches' on the team they root for.

He was coaching high school football. Let him go earn his stripes there. I'm not interested in having a guy coach the most important position in all of sports because he can hold a clipboard better than anyone.

I'd rather see my team have a QB coach who is a proven commodity in the NFL or college level. Not a guy who is just learning how to coach. Let him be a QB coach or OC at some small college first.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
i cant think of to many QB who had success under those situations in his firsy year with a team.

What situations? Two 1,000 yard receivers?

But why are you looking one season? Josh McCown will be 36 years old. There is an entire body of work to look at. That body of work tells the full story. It tells the story of a marginal journeyman backup QB with a sub 60% completion rate and a terrible TD/INT ratio.

Really - why are we having this discussion about a backup QB? The Bears are probably fucked with their STARTING qb this season. If the backup QB has to take the field - whether that be McCown, Clausen, Fales, Campbell or Snooki - the Bears, like almost every other NFL team, are fucked.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
I'd still rather trade for Glennon. He's still young, put up better stats than Josh under the same conditions, and McCown outside of that tremendous production a couple years ago has never been anything resembling good.