Bears are the top offer for Wentz?

JUSTFINGWIN

Liked Posts:
Long time Eagles fan, here is my rundown on Carson Wentz.

I'll start with Wentz the person/teammate.

Through 2018 he was widely considered a great guy, great teammate, hard worker. Then out of the blue in 2019 a local Philadelphia writer Joe Santoliquito put out a piece on Wentz that wasn't very positive. It had a lot of damning stuff in there from anonymous teammates and people in the organization who labeled him entitled and selfish. The city was very angry at this article and dubbed Joe as an attention-seeker and putting out a smear piece. Joe's home was vandalized for putting out the piece, which is wrong and awful, but it happened.

Since then there has been back and forth with some players coming out in defense of him. Mainly long-term veterans like Jason Kelce, Zach Ertz, and Lane Johnson. Guys widely regarded as the most prominent leaders and classiest guys on the team. However, leaks continued to come out. I want to be clear, no leaks ever said Wentz is a bad human being. No one has said he's a bad person. But stuff seems to come out about him just being a little immature, not in a childish way, but blaming other aspects of the recent shortcomings for his problems. Making excuses during film study, things like that. Not putting the onus on him.

What is true and what isn't remains a question of everyone in Philly. It's been kind of a whirlwind since that piece came out in early 2019. At the very least I think there's enough smoke there to say at least some of the gossip is true.

Wentz the player:

Wentz was impressive in 2016 and was just tremendous in 2017. His improvisational skills were off the charts, he was decisive, he had full command of the offense, he was elusive and knew when to take off and run and use his athleticism to run for first downs or buy time. Since he tore his ACL and then the year after hurt his back, the athleticism has declined. He just doesn't have that same explosiveness or elusiveness he displayed in 2017. In 2020 it was more alarming and it's odd because while he did get a concussion in the playoff game vs Seattle, he stayed healthy through the whole season in terms of his joints and such. But something about this season he looked slow and sluggish when he moved. He wasn't able to show any of that escapability he still displayed in 2019 even after the multiple injuries he suffered. In 2019 he was inconsistent through much of the season, but had a tremendous last month, playing with essentially practice squad players because of injuries. Granted, they didn't play the best of competition, but he still finished really strong nonetheless. He looked poised, confident, accurate, and decisive in December 2019.

His accuracy fell off a cliff in 2020, and Wentz's strongest attribute was never his accuracy. His mechanics are sloppy. He isn't naturally accurate to where he can deliver passes in stride off his back feet like other QBs can. If he gets the small things wrong, his accuracy suffers drastically. He often sails screen passes over a receiver's head by 10 yards. Overthrowns deep balls by a mile. But when he's out of the pocket he's very good. There's still some debate in Philly as to whether it's all physical or mental. How can he be that much better on the move and out of the pocket even when there's a defender in his face? Does him moving around cause him to stop overthinking things and just use his natural ability?

Wentz has always had a strong arm. When he's on target he can fire balls into tight windows with the best of em. He's made some amazing throws. When he looks agile and elusive he can make some highlight reel plays.

The question is, how much of his decline in 2020 was health, how much of it was the coaching, and how much of it was he just didn't want to be here? As I mentioned, Wentz never quite matched his 2017 play again, but something after that season just never looked right. Not even just physically. He'd made decisions he didn't use to make, and it all came to ahead in 2020 where he just completely went off the rails there, as he had always been a QB up to this point, who erred on the side of caution instead of making risky passes. Some speculate Foles winning the Super Bowl and taking over his team just bothered him mentally and he's been trying to overcompensate ever since. Some think the injuries caught up with him and he just isn't the same. Some think he just needs a fresh situation and to get away from this situation for him to put whatever is bothering him behind him and he can get back to when he was at his best.

If the Bears do end up getting him, I wish I could give you an honest opinion on if it's the right gamble or not for both teams. It may seem like a cop out, but this is truly one of the oddest situations I have ever covered being an Eagles fan for over 30 years. A guy who looks like he's ready to take the NFL by storm, suffers a major injury, watches a QB who's largely mediocre take over, play the best football of his life and win a Super Bowl, then get the job back and never quite look the same. Other odd things have gone on in the organization as well in terms of the front office, so it's not the best situation right now to succeed in. Regardless, if it is Chicago, I wish Carson the best. I've never had a problem with him.

I just wanted to offer some insight on him as someone who's watched every game he's played.

Best of luck.
This is Carson Palmer 2.0. While people will have grandiose visions of Wentz recapturing his would be mvp season...what’s more probable imo is he’ll be a mediocre plus type going forward. Therefore, not worth the 1st but would take a swing with a second and maybe a 3rd max.

2Deep

Liked Posts:
Man the hate for Carson Wentz is strong.
That from a fan base who thinks we should Watson or other superstar QB.

Carson Wentz of last year was bad but there were some glaring reasons.

Ward, Arciga-whiteside, reager, Fulgham (that's his WR crew)

Goedert, Ertz (hurt most of season)

5 starting o lineman hurt and missed some to most of season.

Miles sanders (hurt, and in and out of lineup)

Before last season the dude has been solid to very good. Dragged a dead ass offensive team to playoffs in 2019.

Again, not sure if this goes down and what we give up. I will reserve judgement on all that. BUT if he is a BEAR then for me he is the best bears QB in my lifetime and I'm 46.

I respect opinions but this is mine. I respect those who differ......

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Report: Eagles want 'Matthew Stafford package' for Wentz Report: Eagles want 'Matthew Stafford package' for Wentz
He was #31 rated QB in 2020. Why do they think he can get that?

It's odd - fans fall into the trap, and so do some GM's - basing today's value on yesterday's guesses. If Wentz had been drafted in Round 2, nobody would today be considering giving two first rounders for him. But because he went #2, somehow that seems like a fair deal, in spite of his play.

I would be OK acquiring him and hoping he could regain his old form if it were a low cost, low risk deal. But the compensation that's being mentioned in the rumor mill is far from that.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
If the Bears give up multiple 1sts for Wentz, there are going to be riots.

Nothing would shock me at this point given the decision makers. And they've already patted all of us fans on the head and told us that they know what's best for the Bears.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
.. they are the dumbest franchise in football.

...already confirmed.

I'm going to lose my shit if they fuck this up.

giphy.gif

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Before last season the dude has been solid to very good. Dragged a dead ass offensive team to playoffs in 2019.

Again, not sure if this goes down and what we give up. I will reserve judgement on all that. BUT if he is a BEAR then for me he is the best bears QB in my lifetime and I'm 46.

That is not a great WR corps to be sure, but he ranked worst in accuracy downfield. The WRs can't be blamed for that.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
He was #31 rated QB in 2020. Why do they think he can get that?

It's odd - fans fall into the trap, and so do some GM's - basing today's value on yesterday's guesses. If Wentz had been drafted in Round 2, nobody would today be considering giving two first rounders for him. But because he went #2, somehow that seems like a fair deal, in spite of his play.

I would be OK acquiring him and hoping he could regain his old form if it were a low cost, low risk deal. But the compensation that's being mentioned in the rumor mill is far from that.

To be fair while he was obviously terrible last year, in the previous 3 seasons he had 81-21 TD-INT. Wentz has proven he can play at a high level. Wether he can get back to that or, more importantly, improve on it is anyone's guess.

Highsteppingbruin

Liked Posts:
He's too injury prone and inconsistent. Definitely not worth the same price as Stafford. I wonder if Foles and a 1st or 2nd rounder would move the needle.

This is all a moot point as long as Nagy and his Kathoey are running the team.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Reagor was also out for much of the season...Just sayin.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't think the Bears will be giving up anywhere what the Eagles are asking for or what is being talked about in social media. I think the return will be a lot lower and may not even include a first rd pick.
I would think so as well. The ESPN story that the Eagles were asking for TWO first rounders made me think the NFL is crazy and i was way off to think Wentz would go cheaper.

But I have come back to the thought - or at least the hope - that someone saying Philly is asking doesn't mean they'll get that. As someone said earlier, it should be more like an Arenado thing where the player and cash get sent, vs #1's going back to Philly.

The writer saying Philly is hearing dial tones is a good sign, IF the Bears are one of the teams running away from the table.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
To be fair while he was obviously terrible last year, in the previous 3 seasons he had 81-21 TD-INT. Wentz has proven he can play at a high level. Wether he can get back to that or, more importantly, improve on it is anyone's guess.
In 2018 and 2019 in the rankings I saw, Wentz was #14 each of those years. The long analysis earlier was intereting and sounded like mitch. Not accurate from th epocket but better on the run. I just don't see him getting magically accurate in Year 5, especially if running for his life.

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
For Wentz to revive his career and get closer to what he use to be you would have to a lot of faith in the bears coaching staff. Lol I have no faith that Nagys the guy who's going to revive his career. If Shannahan was the bears HC that would be a different story. I could see a coach like him reviving his career.

If the bears want to win with a new QB next year they'll need someone who can win in spite of Nagy.

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace is the absolute worst GM in the history of professional sports

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If the Bears trade for Wentz, Bears get 2021 Philly 1st and Philly get Bears 2021 1st. Philly gets Foles. Lets go

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Natalie Egenolf
@NatalieEgenolf

Hearing the same. Org should be humiliated.

D6mxlEFV_normal.jpg

Rob Maaddi

@RobMaaddi
Former #Eagles player told me: “Doug wasn’t the problem. Carson isn’t the problem. The PROBLEM is still there.” This feeling has been expressed to me by several others recently. More people around the league have shared similar thoughts with me over the past week in Tampa.
4:50 PM · Feb 6, 2021

FoCo

Liked Posts:
Tarik Cohen, Nick Foles and a 1st for Wentz. How do you all feel about that?

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So we're giving up a Mack package for a player that performed bottom 5 last year. Is Ballard even serious or is he bidding this up to stick it to the Bears and Pace
Yeah, he's seriously aware that an assshole like Pace might give them what they want, no matter how outlandish the request is