1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Ever heard of Cliff "The Amazing" Stein?? He's a numbers cruncher

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Who are the two best players on defense? Are we talking Peppers and Tillman? If so Peppers will save 14 million if he is designated as a June 1st cut. Guess what, I can sign a good DE for say 7 million a year and a good CB like Jennings for 5 million a year and have 2 million left over for a decent SLB. That's 3 players paid for by Peppers. That's without dipping into any of my cap money.

Next, we have say 4 million set aside for rookies. Ok, let's say the expectation is that my 1st and 2nd round picks start. Let's say I get a DE and DT with those picks. I am up to 5 starters now. Now lets say the 4 and 5 round picks are for depth. That's 7 spots filled with 4 million of cap space out of the supposed 12.8 and out of the 14 million I get for cutting Peppers.

I still have 8.8 million of cap space left and I haven't even cut Bennett, Bush, Weems, Briggs or extended Marshall or restructured Cutler. So not sure what the problem is dude.

Don't forget, if you designate Peppers as a June 1st cut he also carries a ~5mil cap hit next year. That's a significant consequence to consider.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Stein_Cliff.jpg

Look at that smug look on CFS. He just looks like he wants to slap the fuck outta someone for doubting him.

Put CFS and BF51 in a dark room with a fucking felt tip pen and my money is on CFS coming out on top. Period.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Don't forget, if you designate Peppers as a June 1st cut he also carries a ~5mil cap hit next year. That's a significant consequence to consider.

No not really. It's a known sunk cost that any halfwit can take into account. Like for example, let's say I was CFS and knew that I wanted to make JP a June 1st cut. Well maybe what I would do is structure Cutler's contract in a way that next year his cap number is lower than expected.

Oh wait, CFS already did that, lol. Do you guys really think CFS just shits around twiddling his thumbs all fucking day? I can guarantee you the dude has the Bears salary cap planned out 3-5 years down the road if not 5-10 years down the road.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Oh wait, CFS already did that, lol. Do you guys really think CFS just shits around twiddling his thumbs all fucking day? I can guarantee you the dude has the Bears salary cap planned out 3-5 years down the road if not 5-10 years down the road.

Of course he does, but we don't know the specifics. And so we discuss it. Because it's entertaining.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Buffy51 could do cliff's job better. He could do all our jobs better than we do. Just ask him

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
That's why CFS wrote the contract that way. If they need a million more for a FA they want the can take as little as they want away from salary for Signing Bonus. It is a brilliant set up. They can use as much as possible of JC $22.5 M as salary leaving more room for future years caps, and still create the necessary space to get the FA's they covet.
And they also set up Slauson and Jennings contracts the same way so we can create money.

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
it's gotta be impossible to be as stupid as bf51

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure that stupidity is the problem so much as ignorance, probably stemming from arrogance. Most of his posts are coherent, if misinformed.

regardless there's no way he's actually being serious. not unless he has some deeper rooted mental issues

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Right...because salary cap situations aren't fluid or anything like that.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You gotta give the OP credit. He does not give a shit when he is wrong

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
During the offseason, only the top 51 contracts count against the salary cap so only the next 18 players have to fit under the cap. So the author saying the Bears have 12.8 million to sign 56 players is incorrect.

Furthermore, all the deals the Bears signed recently have provisions that allow them to convert base salary into signing bonus any time they want so they are really on a pay as you go system. That combined with all the money that can be freed up by cutting Peppers, Bush, Bennett, Briggs, etc. and the Bears are in fine shape salary cap wise.

Nice to see you've come around.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
still cheap over the long run

And his cap hit drops to zero after three years, provided the Bears don't convert any of his salary into a signing bonus. Meatball Nation collectively crapped their pants when he was signed to 7/126mil, but really it's a three-year deal with four-one year team options after that. Much better than the idiotic contracts given to Stafford and Flacco that are massively backloaded. Hell, Flacco has cap hits of 28mil and 31mil (!) in 2016/2017. Ouch...

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I hope CFS sees this thread. Then takes Larry's lunch and makes him watch while he eats it. The unsung hero of the Bears org.