Bears sign Hill to offer sheet (Update: Saints match it)

Liked Posts:
If this dude doesn't get matched by the Saints, he is going to be our number 2, maybe even number 3 TE.

I bet the Bears want to acquire Hill with the intent of him eventually being the top TE on their depth chart sooner than later. I would guess he'll start off as #2 on the D.C. right off & get plenty of opportunities to establish himself as the #1 TE on the roster for years to come.

I love Hills size, speed, playing strength. He looks like a good young TE with a balanced skill set, who is starting to get it. This is the kind of young F.A. player I love to see a GM roll the dice on right here. I believe that the kid has the ceiling of at least a very good balanced TE, if not better, & the Bears may get him for cheap.

I like this move.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I bet the Bears want to acquire Hill with the intent of him eventually being the top TE on their depth chart sooner than later. I would guess he'll start off as #2 on the D.C. right off & get plenty of opportunities to establish himself as the #1 TE on the roster for years to come.

I love Hills size, speed, playing strength. He looks like a good young TE with a balanced skill set, who is starting to get it. This is the kind of young F.A. player I love to see a GM roll the dice on right here. I believe that the kid has the ceiling of at least a very good balanced TE, if not better, & the Bears may get him for cheap.

I like this move.

Somebody isn't paying attention^^^^

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Amen, having that 3 million tied up would have seriously fucked us. Just a major disaster averted.

Hey.. remember time our genius Gm paid JAred Allen 11.5 million to play for another team?

Good times. Good times.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Hey.. remember time our genius Gm paid JAred Allen 11.5 million to play for another team?

Good times. Good times.

Yeah, 'cause he was the one to waste all that money on a useless player in the first place, right? So very much whiny cunting, it's cute.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears dodged bullet.

whoa.....Superbowl run still intact.....Josh Hill really would have put us off track with his above average special teams play and blocking.........

do you think the Pats will give us McClellin back now that we have the extra 3 million.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Why wouldn't I be happy?

I think the only think that sucks about us dodging this bullet is that it exposed Pace as a guy who will spend too much on tier 3 talent.

Unless I'm mistaken, Hill's base salary would have been $1.67mm/year. That seems like a very modest amount for a 25 year old with some nice physical upside, who is already established as a good blocker and ST guy. $1.67mm/year is pure backup money, not an amount that can be used to characterize Pace as a GM who spends too much. The contract did have escalators that would have bumped up the contract to $2.5mm/yr at most, but I'm assuming those escalators are performance based, so if he hit those escalators, then most likely the contract would be an even better value. If you're gonna knock Pace for something, this petty little contract isn't it.

CNiel36

Liked Posts:
Miller is getting $5.5 over two years. So you mean our $2.75/yr TE.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Unless I'm mistaken, Hill's base salary would have been $1.67mm/year. That seems like a very modest amount for a 25 year old with some nice physical upside, who is already established as a good blocker and ST guy. $1.67mm/year is pure backup money, not an amount that can be used to characterize Pace as a GM who spends too much. The contract did have escalators that would have bumped up the contract to $2.5mm/yr at most, but I'm assuming those escalators are performance based, so if he hit those escalators, then most likely the contract would be an even better value. If you're gonna knock Pace for something, this petty little contract isn't it.

Unless I'm mistake, the guy catches 12 balls a year as a pass catching TE and needs to work on his blocking game.

I'm pretty sure a UFA rookie with similar physicals who can catch 12 passes will be a lot cheaper.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Clearly, that's been my point. Im not expecting him to be... No one except you morons are happy about spending 3+ million on a 12-catch per season pass-catching TE.

No, my expectations are really low for a guy who had every opportunity to replace Grahams production and failed. Just like I'm not expecting Zack Miller to make it through the season uninjured.
Why do you keep calling him a pass catching TE when clearly he isn't?

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Why do you keep calling him a pass catching TE when clearly he isn't?

Right, he isn't. He was supposed to be. he wanted to be. He was drafted to be. He was one coming out of college. But he wasn't good enough. Hence, he's a bench player and ST'er.

We dodged a bullet.