Blackhawks Team Discussion Thread

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
So Hayes has almost twice as many goals as Bickell, because he plays two shifts per game more than him, on an inferior Florida team? While making $3.3M less a season? Uhh....yeah. I hate to agree with Capt...but none of that helps your argument. Quite the opposite, actually.

The Bickell contract is fucking awful and I will take Hayes over him every day and twice on Sunday.

I also HIGHLY doubt he would have 20 goals in Florida, but I'd REALLY like to see him give it a shot next season. :lol:

The point was that Hayes is playing on Florida's Top 6, while he could barely crack the Hawks Top 12 while he was in Chicago. And Bickell has largely stayed on the Hawks third or fourth line. Hayes has also played about 95 minutes of ice time on the power play, Bickell at 56. Comparing their stats side-by-side isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

No, Bickell's contract isn't all that great. But I don't see Jimmy Hayes putting up numbers that are much better were he taking on the same role as Bickell in Chicago.

You're going to base this comparison off a couple of call ups Hayes had with the Hawks in his first two seasons playing pro hockey and splitting time with the Icehogs? Really? Because you're reading the stat line off hockey-reference wrong, he didn't play 55 games for the Hawks, he played 43. That 55 games with the Hawks you're talking about was the 2013-14 season, where he spent with only 2 games on the Hawks, 53 with the Panthers.

Might wanna double check things the next time before you get too gif happy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pez68

Fire Waldron
Liked Posts:
The point was that Hayes is playing on Florida's Top 6, while he could barely crack the Hawks Top 12 while he was in Chicago. And Bickell has largely stayed on the Hawks third or fourth line. Hayes has also played about 95 minutes of ice time on the power play, Bickell at 56. Comparing their stats side-by-side isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

No, Bickell's contract isn't all that great. But I don't see Jimmy Hayes putting up numbers that are much better were he taking on the same role as Bickell in Chicago.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, we're not talking about Hayes when he was with Chicago. We are talking about Hayes now.

Bickell is paid as a second line player. Hayes is paid as a fourth liner. One is performing at a top six level, the other at a fourth line level. See the issue?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Well, we're not talking about Hayes when he was with Chicago. We are talking about Hayes now.

Bickell is paid as a second line player. Hayes is paid as a fourth liner. One is performing at a top six level, the other at a fourth line level. See the issue?

I see the issue.

But, again, not a similar comparison. Hayes signed a one-year deal worth $925k before this season and is still a restricted free agent after this year is over. That seems like a bridge deal between his ELC deal and what could be a multi-year deal for him next summer.

Bickell was much farther along in his career and signed a 4-year, $16-million dollar just before he would've hit unrestricted free agency. He got paid that way to keep him off the UFA market, where it was possible he could've got even more. Some of the UFA deals that have been handed out lately are just absurd.

I'm not saying that Bickell has been worth every penny, because he hasn't. At least not in the regular season. But I still maintain it's unfair to do a side-by-side comparison of stats and salaries for Bickell and Jimmy Hayes because it was two completely different scenarios and, now the, two players are in much different situations within their team.

You can say he's paid like a second-line player all you want, are you going to take someone out of the Hawks current Top 6 just to put Bickell up where his contract indicates he should play? Because I'm not.

Pez68

Fire Waldron
Liked Posts:
Nope, but I'm not the one that paid him second line money... If you're paying him that kind of money he should be playing in the top six, or contributing near that level. Personally I would run Bickell, Sharp, Kane as the second line with Versteeg, Richards, Shaw as the third, but we know Sharp at center again is utter blasphemy.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Nope, but I'm not the one that paid him second line money... If you're paying him that kind of money he should be playing in the top six, or contributing near that level. Personally I would run Bickell, Sharp, Kane as the second line with Versteeg, Richards, Shaw as the third, but we know Sharp at center again is utter blasphemy.

Just my $. 02, but I think that putting a player into a spot in the lineup just because of his cap hit is a bad idea.

Pez68

Fire Waldron
Liked Posts:
Hey, if there was no salary cap I would agree. However, you can't pay 3rd/4th liners $4M a year with a salary cap...

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Hey, if there was no salary cap I would agree. However, you can't pay 3rd/4th liners $4M a year with a salary cap...

And that's why I think Bickell is gone this offseason. I think they were expecting him to play his way into a Top 6 role, but he hasn't really progressed all that much in the regular season.

We'll see how he does in the postseason, though. Still think there's more to Bickell's game than we've seen this season.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And that's why I think Bickell is gone this offseason. I think they were expecting him to play his way into a Top 6 role, but he hasn't really progressed all that much in the regular season.

We'll see how he does in the postseason, though. Still think there's more to Bickell's game than we've seen this season.

I think what's missing from his game is effort.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
It boggles my mind how a guy like Bickell could show such poor consistency in his play considering he has all the physical tools to be a dominant power forward in the league. He has decent hands, a dart of a shot, decent speed and the size and stature all in one, yet he plays like he's 5'8 and scared of the front of the net.

No doubt in my mind he could be as productive, if not more as Wayne Simmonds or a Milan Lucic.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
It boggles my mind how a guy like Bickell could show such poor consistency in his play considering he has all the physical tools to be a dominant power forward in the league. He has decent hands, a dart of a shot, decent speed and the size and stature all in one, yet he plays like he's 5'8 and scared of the front of the net.

No doubt in my mind he could be as productive, if not more as Wayne Simmonds or a Milan Lucic.

I know his style has led to a major amount of minor injuries that he plays through, but at 4 mil I"m not sure this can be pointed to anymore as an excuse because at some point it has to be a reason not to pay him that much.

Variable

Liked Posts:

He is what he is at this point of his career. Hell, that's the way it was when he signed that deal. He'll probably be moved to the top 6 in the playoffs the way it's happened the last few years, and he better have a huge playoff to make him somewhat tradable in the offseason. He has a modified NTC, Stan's been giving those away like it's Christmas over the last few years and it come back to bite him in the ass.

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:

If Bickell played like Lucic for even a single game (without being the actual turd of a person that Lucic is); I could totally :fap: to that.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
If Bickell played like Lucic for even a single game (without being the actual turd of a person that Lucic is); I could totally :fap: to that.

He out played him in the 2013 playoffs. They both have the same type of physical skills and makeup, it's just Lucic plays on the edge and is consistent every night. Bickell only is during the playoffs and random games.

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
He out played him in the 2013 playoffs. They both have the same type of physical skills and makeup, it's just Lucic plays on the edge and is consistent every night. Bickell only is during the playoffs and random games.

Agreed. Personally, I love how the Bruins play hockey and Lucic is a big part of that reason (I like Marchand as well). Although he was a pretty big turd to Weiss -- but hey, you can't blame a guy for being passionate.

Bickell pulled a Lucic-esqe, power-forward move with that beautiful dangle on whoever was the single man back early in the first.