BR: Bears Trying To Trade Cutler to get Mariota

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Emery & Trestman sort of needed to win now, too. Maybe if TN got Pace to pick up Cutler's salary this year it might look like a better deal for them? Idk why any coach would be lobbying to trade for a well-known coach killer.

Because even though he's a "coach killer" Cutler is still a QB who is capable of getting you to 9-7 with a good defense. They're not marrying him long-term. Wisenhunt has zero other options, and maybe a good season or two buys him more time to develop the future.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
right, reread that. What is a bit?

Less than the whole draft...Cutler/1st/2nd....Cutler/1st/future 2nd....Cutler/1st/3rd/future 3rd

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
If we want the second pick in the draft and it costs us Cutler and our 7th, I sorta get that. But, I would want the best player available, certainly not Mariota.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Less than the whole draft...Cutler/1st/2nd....Cutler/1st/future 2nd....Cutler/1st/3rd/future 3rd
more than the 7th pick though. And what is it they desperately need? draft picks. Again, release Cutler and move on, eat the money, they will anyway. I'm cool with that.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Hard to believe the Titans are that desperate, but if they are fine. As much as people hate Cutler in Chicago, he's not a scrub. No to Mariota at 2.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
more than the 7th pick though. And what is it they desperately need? draft picks. Again, release Cutler and move on, eat the money, they will anyway. I'm cool with that.

I was actually holding out hope that the Bears would have made a trade with Cleveland, that could have netted them more picks...and what they desperately need is defensive players, which at #2 could get them Williams. Unfortunately the premise behind this thread is the Bears trading up for Mariotta.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Doesn't sound like they need to give away all the picks...you are excellent at overreacting to anything relating to Cutler

He's excellent at being flat out stupid.

jc456

Liked Posts:
I was actually holding out hope that the Bears would have made a trade with Cleveland, that could have netted them more picks...and what they desperately need is defensive players, which at #2 could get them Williams. Unfortunately the premise behind this thread is the Bears trading up for Mariotta.

and that the bears don't need. that move would be a GM job killer. there is no way Mariotta in my opinion is ready to play nfl football today, At number 2 he'd have to be a starter just on the money he'd get for that pick. It's ridiculous to say the least. I don't think Pace wants to crash and burn. But hey, one never knows.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I'm starting to really entertain the idea that somehow, they're going to have a new QB to play this year. Aside from the whole trying to ship him before free agency thing, then you had Pace and fox sounding as reluctant and unenthusiastic as you could get when they said they're moving forward with him, and now this rumor.

For someone as sensitive as Cutler, they sure don't seem to give much of a fuck about offending him, which is what's giving me hope.

They obviously see what has been happening for last 6 years as the QB being the reason once again the Bears can't win a championship.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe they are trading up for Williams, the buzz is Mariota, but perhaps that is a smoke screen.

If you can get to 2 and dump Cutler they should do it.

Who they pick from there is the debate.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
and that the bears don't need. that move would be a GM job killer. there is no way Mariotta in my opinion is ready to play nfl football today, At number 2 he'd have to be a starter just on the money he'd get for that pick. It's ridiculous to say the least. I don't think Pace wants to crash and burn. But hey, one never knows.

So he and Cutler have something in common

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Everything is a smokescreen. Bears want a defensive guy or a WR to drop to them. Philly have the hots for Mariota. Titans and Cleveland want a viable QB. Bears don't want a team to move up and pick a player they want. If Mariota is there at 7, then the Bears will trade down due to the fact the Bears projected guys were picked.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

It's not your team/money/decision...so why do you care?

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Hard to believe the Titans are that desperate, but if they are fine. As much as people hate Cutler in Chicago, he's not a scrub. No to Mariota at 2.

Not really when you think about it....they HAVE NO ANSWER at QB in 2015 and there is apparently a good chance the regime is gone with another mediocre yr.

They're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

CEOs making 7-8 figure salaries and living like emperors will not always act in the long or even medium term best interests of an organization when their personal interests don't coincide with the company's interests.

This is a particular quirk of American style capitalism and the NFL. A coach/GM can be acting both perfectly rationally vis a vis his interests and yet be acting against the interests of the franchise he works for in the medium and long term.

Natedogg8023

Liked Posts:
This equals orgasim

Imagine, the Bears pull the trade, go to 2, take Mariota, who everyone thinks is in Hawaii. But secretly he appears on stage at draft town in Grant Park wearing a Bears jersey with Brian Urlacher, who doesn't think he is a pussy, waving a Cubs flag that is thrown to him as he runs on stage by Nikola Mirotic.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:

You are quite entertaining. First of all drafting a potential franchise QB buys Pace years and is far from a move that would be considered a "job killer".

Secondly Mariota has everything you would want in a QB and there is no reason he can't start. Every rookie QB is going to go through growing pains but at least there will be growth unlike our current situation.

Finally, under the current rookie wage scale a QB selected at #2 is paid along the lines of what the average backup claims in the open market.