Brandon Webb # 1 Target For Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How many seasons has Z had an ERA above 4? 0.He's always been right around that 7.5 K/9 mark. He's always walked about 4/9. he's never given up 1 HR/9, in fact his HR/9 has been down the last couple years, which is good to see. His FIP was right in the same area it's always been. His LD% was pretty high for him last year and he still put up those numbers. Interesting... as he gets older he gives up more hits but fewer HRs.

So what was so different about last year? Hell, Z put up some of the best numbers of his career with the highest BABIP he's ever had.

Wait for it!

And ERA is not another stat you should use. Nor is WHIP. WHIP isn't indicative of player skill. Sure, pitchers who don't walk people or give up many hits are good, but we don't need WHIP to tell us that. It's merely a byproduct of many other stats.

Defense is not the only problem with ERA, but also the judgement of the scorekeeper. All these other stats are fine to use, just not to evaluate a player.

BAM! another contradiction! so sweeet.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Making way too much money for a guy that hasn't won 15+ games in 3 years.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wait for it!

BAM! another contradiction! so sweeet.

Cool. Except you're missing the whole point. The point is the differential between his FIP and ERA is always right around the same thing, so we should expect that. The same goes for BA. It's an awful stat. However, if you use the BA/OBP differential it can be somewhat useful.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Yeah, I'm going to put a baseball team above my future. Right.

EDIT: Plus, why would anyone want to watch last years team? Really?

Well, you always think you are right, but you didn't even SEE last year's team. Damn, you missed Castro's debut?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, you always think you are right, but you didn't even SEE last year's team. Damn, you missed Castro's debut?

I don't need to see the team to see what they did. That's why there is Fangraphs, B-R, et cetera. The human eye fools you way too much. No, I saw Castro's debut.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I don't need to see the team to see what they did. That's why there is Fangraphs, B-R, et cetera. The human eye fools you way too much. No, I saw Castro's debut.

No, not really. You obviously have missed too much. Why do you even care if you never watch?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, not really. You obviously have missed too much. Why do you even care if you never watch?

If the human eye is so good, why do we have replay in any sport? You obviously caught it all...

They are my team. You're the one who doesn't think they'll ever win a World Series. I just don't go out of my way to watch a game when they suck.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
If the human eye is so good, why do we have replay in any sport? You obviously caught it all...

They are my team. You're the one who doesn't think they'll ever win a World Series. I just don't go out of my way to watch a game when they suck.

I never said I didn't think they ever would, now you are making shit up.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im not going to watch one game this year, im just going to watch fangraphs, hopefully this year they can do the stats live like the games. :rolleyes:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never said I didn't think they ever would, now you are making shit up.

I swear seeing you post that somewhere on here... maybe that was someone else.

Im not going to watch one game this year, im just going to watch fangraphs, hopefully this year they can do the stats live like the games. :rolleyes:

Would you like a cookie? You can not tell me that the human eye catches everything. It's impossible. Technology > Human Eye. In this case technology = statistics.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I swear seeing you post that somewhere on here... maybe that was someone else.

Would you like a cookie? You can not tell me that the human eye catches everything. It's impossible. Technology > Human Eye. In this case technology = statistics.

not even worth arguing with someone who contradicts themselves constantly. funny stuff.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
your era comment that was quoted. back about a page. unbelievable.

So you can't talk about the human eye element because of ERA... cool.

What is so contradictory about it? I'm using the differential, not ERA itself. Yes, I did use ERA itself, because I was pushing it in your face, like a little asshole.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Really? How did I contradict myself?

If you don't watch the games, but just look shit up, then you don't have the full story. If you never watch games, then you are just like any other idiot fan, and are going to be consistently wrong.

You think you know about the Cubs because you look up sabre? If you don't watch baseball, you don't understand normal stats, much less sabre.

Just watch a game or stop bringing up stupidity.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you can't talk about the human eye element because of ERA... cool.What is so contradictory about it? I'm using the differential, not ERA itself. Yes, I did use ERA itself, because I was pushing it in your face, like a little asshole.

BOLD- wtf are you talking about?

:rofl:

dealing with a child here. awesome.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you don't watch the games, but just look shit up, then you don't have the full story. If you never watch games, then you are just like any other idiot fan, and are going to be consistently wrong.

You think you know about the Cubs because you look up sabre? If you don't watch baseball, you don't understand normal stats, much less sabre.

Just watch a game or stop bringing up stupidity.

:obama:

Oh god...

So when you watch the games you have the full story? Not at all. What does watching the games have to do with being right or wrong? Whether I watch the games or not, the same thing is going to happen, thus the same stats. How does this argument change at all if I watch the games? It doesn't. Again, what does watching baseball... with the eye have to do with understanding normal stats... with the brain. Saber is not stupidity. I understand that you don't understand it, but you're just talking out of your ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.