***BREAKING: Brandon Marshall traded to the Jets***

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Emery had his mistakes. His biggest was hiring Trestman and giving Cutler that contract. The Shea pick was pretty bad too (although I think he could still find success in a 3-4 as a OLB under Fangio). We were all thrilled when he got Marshall a few minutes into FA, don't lie. The best we were hoping for at the time was probably Vincent Jackson. Snagging Alshon in the 2nd round was also great. And Kyle Fuller. And Kyle Long. I know shitting all over the previous regime is the thing to do for most Bears fans. But let's not pretend like Phil was a total train wreck. Every GM in the league has his hits and misses.

Emery was one of the worst GMs in the league and possibly the worst. He turned the team into one of the league's worst and loaded it with awful contracts that are still holding the team back. He drafted three players that look capable in three years, one of whom is unproven. That is a fucking train wreck.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not about his record, it's about the way he behaves, his constant thirst to be at the center of attention, his attitude towards football vis-à-vis his "real purpose", and the fact that he was an awful locker room presence whose antics exhausted people. It's a headache they wanted rid of. Clearly the trade wasn't about value or money or what picks were attained. It was about getting Marshall off the team, period. I don't know why people can't understand this.

I agree with this, and will add - if this is what we got for Marshall, then that is what the market was willing to pay. If somebody else offered more, we would have gotten more. Obviously the pay structure we have in place for him is also a bit more than other teams are willing to pay for.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Emery was one of the worst GMs in the league and possibly the worst. He turned the team into one of the league's worst and loaded it with awful contracts that are still holding the team back. He drafted three players that look capable in three years, one of whom is unproven. That is a fucking train wreck.

LOL. Ok. Talk to you all in 3 years when everyone is shitting all over Pace.

Reactions: Myk

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
LOL. Ok. Talk to you all in 3 years when everyone is shitting all over Pace.

LOL

You loved Emery as he ruined the Bears and turned them into a punchline. Now you're pissed at Pace for beginning to cleanup Emery's mess. People are shitting over Emery because he was awful. Whether or not Pace will be shat on in three years remains to be seen.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I didn't "love" Emery. I'm just way more level headed than most of our fan base. There was good and there was bad. I'm cautiously optimistic with Pace. I do know this - anything short of perfection and the guy will be chewed up and spit out by our fans and the idiots in Chicago media. Everything is puppies and rainbows now, because he is the "new shiny thing" during the honeymoon period. After a few seasons you monkeys will be calling for his head if he doesn't with a Super Bowl. That of much I'm sure.

Woods

Chicago Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
What we do know is you'll be in here cunting over Cutler for two more.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It's not about his record, it's about the way he behaves, his constant thirst to be at the center of attention, his attitude towards football vis-à-vis his "real purpose", and the fact that he was an awful locker room presence whose antics exhausted people. It's a headache they wanted rid of. Clearly the trade wasn't about value or money or what picks were attained. It was about getting Marshall off the team, period. I don't know why people can't understand this.

I'm coming around on this. Once I saw the actual deal (including the 7th rounder) it made me wonder exactly how divisive he was. Musta been real bad for that to be the deal, given the guys obvious talents.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
People called for Emery's head because the team was 5-11, lost 8/10, had 7 lopsided losses, his coaching staff was widely regarded as the leagues worst, his franchise QB he made the highest paid player in the NFL sucked, his other big contracts mostly flopped, his draft picks failed almost completely, the team had the oldest starting roster in the NFL, the locker room was lost, and the team was substantially worse than when he took over.

The fans and media were extremely patient with him. Even after missing the playoffs the first two seasons under Emery and hiring the CFL coach, most people liked him up until halfway through the season and he received mostly praise. Had the team gone 8-8 he still has a job. Had they gone 11-5 he would still be worshipped on this board with the "Emery never sleeps" posted everyday, and the media would still fawn over Emery's signings.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I didn't "love" Emery. I'm just way more level headed than most of our fan base. There was good and there was bad. I'm cautiously optimistic with Pace. I do know this - anything short of perfection and the guy will be chewed up and spit out by our fans and the idiots in Chicago media. Everything is puppies and rainbows now, because he is the "new shiny thing" during the honeymoon period. After a few seasons you monkeys will be calling for his head if he doesn't with a Super Bowl. That of much I'm sure.

That's just literally the nature of all sports fanbases and fandoms. It's no more unique to anywhere and even teams with 2 championships get the same treatment of many fans. There is a very rare chance of having the Bellichick scenario where that's not gonna be the mentality held by many.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part of all this reminds me of how Trestman came in and had to deal with Lovie's old crew being somewhat divisive. Not that Marshall is or was a Trestman homer but I don't blame Pace for wiping the slate clean. I loved Marshalls play, but this move, is for the greater good of the Bears in the long run in my opinion.

Reactions: WCL

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I do know this - anything short of perfection and the guy will be chewed up and spit out by our fans and the idiots in Chicago media.

I'll take a not-so-perfect SB win and won't chew him up.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
So the Bears had to give up a pro bowler wr AND a draft pick?? To get 5th round? lol wtf

Reactions: Myk

Desperado34

Liked Posts:

Shea McClellin.

Phil Emery spoke of a first round pick as a "blue chip Special teamer."

lol

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Shea McClellin.

Phil Emery spoke of a first round pick as a "blue chip Special teamer."

lol

One of the "bad" as noted in an earlier post. I want to see him in a 3-4 as a OLB before I totally write him off though.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Uhhh, that's the record I'm talking about.
What was real and in the press wasn't much, it was mostly rumor from sports shock jocks. That means someone official made it known it was a buyer's market.
Especially going to NY Marshall could've been sold as a great help to the community and a needed talent for the team.

I'm thinking a more realistic reason for us paying to get Marshall out was a hold over from his problems in Denver with McDaniels and crew came along with one of the coaches. Marshall's antics in Denver to get traded burnt a bridge he suddenly had to cross again. That old personality clash would make sense to get rid of a player, not pay to get rid of him but get rid of him.
If it is like you all seem to think and our new staff can't handle a typical star WR we're really screwed.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Pace said it was best for bears AND marshall.

It sounds like that prick wouldn't give up his stupid tv show. Unreal, Brandon.

Btw; the show sucks anyways.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
One of the "bad" as noted in an earlier post. I want to see him in a 3-4 as a OLB before I totally write him off though.

He's bad at NFL-level football, period. Any position.