Breaking: Zeke signs

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a lot easier to let a great RB walk and draft a good one than it is to let a middling qb walk and draft a good one.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You want to give him 144 million fully guaranteed. You do know that is outright dumb?

So you are suggesting I am overpaying him?

I am suggesting you have to overpay in guarantee's to get the cap number down where you can still have a good team.
For a player that works and leads like Trubisky I have no off field concerns of, and I know will rehab himself if he gets hurt, its a risk I would happily happily take. If Alex Smith can come back, then nothing can happen to your guarantee greater than loss of 18 months, and that is doubtful.

The guarantee matches the true value of the player. Maybe HE ISN'T a 30 million dollar QB...but he is a trustworthy one and he gets the guarantee's based on that trust.

But whatever...we all know where this is going, and instead of getting to helm the Bears for the next 8 years the 5-6 year albatross that will get him cut eventually will turn out worse for both Bears and player. Right now would be the time to make a ludicrous low ball offer with guarantees while the Bears have 2 years of leverage.

Recognize you have a hard working leader, and lock him down on a deal you can work a team around. Meanwhile, Trubs gets 144 million guaranteed plus Chicago Bear QB level endorsements. Not a bad deal...

and like I said...

What does Trubisky get on the open market and who pays it? Would he be fortunate to get a Glennon contract?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nope. Still have Elliott as my top backup RB, behind Duke Johnson and Saquon Barkley.
I bet a lot of fantasy lineups were just changed. Tony Pollard is back to being a waiver wire pickup

I focused on picking up Jackson in San Diego precisely because of their history of being cheap with Brees/Bosa and there are others...management negotiating frequently goes awry there. Cowboys I knew Elliot was first up for cash and irreplaceable.

Gordon has zero leverage. His agent is being stupid. He can hold out until week 11 and then get a bad hammy I guess. Then do it again next year and maybe the league will count it as two years matriculated?

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I’m curious what Cohen is going to get for his second contract.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And that has really worked out for Washington. They have $22.5M and a 1st round pick invested into the position, and with Case Keenum they are once again staring down another losing season. Seems like a good blueprint for other NFL teams to follow.
yeah, but they can recover. The real question we will learn this season, is can Minnesota recover after doing what they didn't?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
yeah, but they can recover. The real question we will learn this season, is can Minnesota recover after doing what they didn't?

Recover from what? The Redskins haven't been relevant for decades.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't like that long of a contract or the guaranteed money, but yeah on a per game basis he isn't worth more than that at this point, unless he improves a lot and shows that he's the type of QB who can win games rather than ride along on a great team. And if he does that, then you pay him like a legit franchise QB. Either way, don't pay elite money for average quality.

Same goes for Dallas. Dak has taken care of the ball better than Trubisky and is less mistake prone, but he isn't a high level guy in terms of production. He hasn't shown that he's good enough to engineer wins on his own back without a top running game and good defense.

I am trying to create another solution. Because if my options are pay Truth 30 million, or draft another. Draft another.

Can we create another option that rewards his great qualities with trust? With a guarantee? I believe Trubisky deserves as much trust and guarantee as you can give him, but his play does not deserve 1/3 of the cap.

That is my middle ground, lock him up early, lock him up cheap, and guarantee you aren't trying to undercut him either.

I'll bet you the Bears end up not knowing what to do and trying to franchise him 1 year. Still not knowing what to do and over pay. Then will be stuck with it. Another 8 years gone anyway.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
easy, don't pay Dak...draft another. Same should be done with Trubisky. Balk at irreplaceable QB money.

Are they actually irreplaceable? If you can't say yes then paying over 20,000,000 will hamstring your team. End of story.

Is somebody else going to pay Dak or Trubisky 30,000,000 on the free agent market to come hold their team back? Somebody has to call a bluff on QB's, like Washington did with one that is better than either of those two.
Paying any RB that money is stupid. RB’s are easily replaceable, especially with an oline like Dallas. QB’s are not easily replaceable even if they are only average to above average. I would absolutely never pay an RB that money, especially with a decision coming on talented players at positions of importance.

Washington made the right decision because Kirk had already shown he was a loser and crumbled in big games. He truly isn’t better than Mitch or Dak. He’s similar to Pad Statford in that he puts up big numbers but can’t play in big games

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jerry should have traded him.
nah.

He should have let him sit until Dak was exposed, collected the loss of wages to Zeke as well as the fines, called his bluff about missing a year of matriculation, forced him to sign for less than Gurley with incentives he will never reach more than once for leading the league in rushing, super bowls, etc.

Waiting 3-4 weeks was the best for Jones and the team, because Dak might have won the first 2. Rest your tailback, let guys get tired and worn down and the weather turn. Expose your QB so he stops asking for 40,000,000 like an idiot.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Recover from what? Losing? They are losers. I'd argue the Minnesota Vikings are in contention, which is the entire reason teams play the game. To win.
If given a choice, the Skins or Vikings, I take the Vikings every single time.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Recover from what? Losing? They are losers. I'd argue the Minnesota Vikings are in contention, which is the entire reason teams play the game. To win.
If given a choice, the Skins or Vikings, I take the Vikings every single time.

I agree with your irate level, but I also don't think it is fair to include the QB travesty to Alex Smith, and subsequent signing of Keenum. The Redskins may have made the right choice but followed it up with 2 bad ones.

The Vikings still have to prove the other side of the coin...that you can win after paying an above average QB over 25 per season.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I agree with your irate level, but I also don't think it is fair to include the QB travesty to Alex Smith, and subsequent signing of Keenum. The Redskins may have made the right choice but followed it up with 2 bad ones.

The Vikings still have to prove the other side of the coin...that you can win after paying an above average QB over 25 per season.
First, I am not irate...yet...for the day...
2nd, you are making my point here. If the Redksins kept Cousins, there would be no need for Alex Smith, Case Keenum AND drafting Haskins because they would still have a QB.
They are no better by letting Cousins walk.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
I'd offer Trubisky 8 years, 18 million per year, fully guaranteed. I'd offer him it now, and I'd keep it on the table for the next 20 months. He is a reasonable QB and deserves security and a reasonable contract. Forget what works for everyone else, thats a contract I would believe in for the player involved and the team. He wants more, then walk and draft another. I
The problem is that it is very difficult to find a QB, or draft a QB as good as Mitch and Dak. It can be done, but a GM would be putting their job on the line immediately to bet on an unproven QB coming in and maintaining playoff caliber production. If Mitch doesn't improve this season I wouldn't extend him. If he improves and becomes a top 10-15 QB I'd extend him.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problem is that it is very difficult to find a QB, or draft a QB as good as Mitch and Dak. It can be done, but a GM would be putting their job on the line immediately to bet on an unproven QB coming in and maintaining playoff caliber production. If Mitch doesn't improve this season I wouldn't extend him. If he improves and becomes a top 10-15 QB I'd extend him.
is it really?

Is it that hard?