Briggs Coming Back?

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe having a new coach thats a defensive guy would invigorate Briggs..He seemed to do great under Lovie who was of the same mindset...He only soured under Trestman..And lets face it,99% of the team did as well... I'd give him a 1 year deal and see how it goes

Well of course it will only be a one year deal at 35 years old and i agree that not only Briggs but all our players especially our defensive guys will be happy and much more motivated about having J.Fox and V.Fangio to play for. I already said i have no problem bringing both Briggs and Peanut back for the right price but my biggest worry isn't if they'll come back with motivation cause i know they both will, my worry is how easily players at their age get injured which has been happening with both for the last few years.

A very well thought out and respectful post.. You made a good point, and you did it very well

A much needed bit of class to these boards
Congrats dabears70

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am still waiting on an objective source to support the idea that Lance Briggs sucked on the filed last year. This just seems like Bears fan Urban Legend that is being quoted as an undeniable fact.

Again not claiming PFF is right but I don't see any evidence that Lance actually sucked on the field from anyone besides because I said so. Everyone just seems to be bringing up the off the field stuff and assuming that because of it, it means he sucked on the field.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, the team wasn't working well with him. It was obvious. I can at least admit that. I also saw a QB that had had enough with all the misques and dropped passes. He was drained and needed to sit. And he's still under contract.

My apologies, if I continue with this line of questioning this will turn into a Cutler thread, and nobody wants that. I will drop it and I am sure at least some will see the point.

Madden

Liked Posts:
Fuck Briggs. We're not going to get better by keeping old, slow, fat, injury prone guys who undermine the coaches. He had a good run but it's time to move on. He obviously checked out after Lovie was fired. He also failed at taking over the leadership role after Urlacher was gone.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am still waiting on an objective source to support the idea that Lance Briggs sucked on the filed last year. This just seems like Bears fan Urban Legend that is being quoted as an undeniable fact.

Again not claiming PFF is right but I don't see any evidence that Lance actually sucked on the field from anyone besides because I said so. Everyone just seems to be bringing up the off the field stuff and assuming that because of it, it means he sucked on the field.

I didn't need a service to tell me that. When Briggs was active and playing, he was all over the field like a lunatic. Because he opened up a restaurant, some people were blind to his efforts. He played great when healthy last year, in fact we had some very good defensive efforts last year. The D was just not prepared to play against the better offenses which totally destroyed them and devastated the otherwise very good stats in the other games.

jc456

Liked Posts:
My apologies, if I continue with this line of questioning this will turn into a Cutler thread, and nobody wants that. I will drop it and I am sure at least some will see the point.

Brigg's isn't under contract. Cutler is. I'm sure Fox will set the tone for the team and own the locker room which has been lost for some time under Trestman. But, they won't be bringing in Brigg's.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
well I disagree. his play on the field was bad, so bad he was taking himself out of plays. Again, very obvious. As well, he was slow and he wasn't providing the needed leadership on the field and why there was confusion on the field. I can go on. Not sure the point. He's a quitter and he is a FA, and he can go play somewhere else.

Edit: and the team is moving on and rebuilding, a team doesn't bring in slow 36 year old LBs who quit on the previous coaching staff. Think young!!!

And as far as Fox, Brigg's isn't under contract, so he won't be practicing with Fox.

Again this is opinion supported by nothing except "because I told you so." You are free to have that opinion. I just don't find it very compelling hence why I said I will let Fox and Fangio decide.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Again this is opinion supported by nothing except "because I told you so." You are free to have that opinion. I just don't find it very compelling hence why I said I will let Fox and Fangio decide.

Who else did you think would? Maybe Pace the GM?

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
Briggs has absolutely no value to the team.
I was all for bringing 54 back, because even though his physical skills diminished he was still smart and could still call the defense.
Briggs can't even do that.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Briggs has absolutely no value to the team.
I was all for bringing 54 back, because even though his physical skills diminished he was still smart and could still call the defense.
Briggs can't even do that.

a player that only played in half of the last two seasons. Bears don't need that, they need someone who can play every game.

kdawgzx9

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's 35, oft injured and has been out of shape and disinterested the last two seasons. Even if he 'got his head right', he can't overcome being 35 years old.

How would any of that be a win for the Bears? Win for Briggs? Sure. Win for the Bears? How?

If he shows up in shape, with the right attitude then the Bears have a player that has experience and can help while a young guy is not thrown to the wolves to learn. If he doesn't, then they cut bait during training camp and go in a different direction.

jc456

Liked Posts:
If he shows up in shape, with the right attitude then the Bears have a player that has experience and can help while a young guy is not thrown to the wolves to learn. If he doesn't, then they cut bait during training camp and go in a different direction.

which begs the question, why would he get in shape if there is no guarantee of a contract? he's done, let it go. Holy crap the Bears fans and their attachments to players without contracts.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
And yet players quit on bad coaches all the time so being driven doesn't change the fact that when you have a shitty boss, your performance can and does often suffer. It happens in sports all the time dude.
As you would say, please research and cite examples. Or is this just a Remypinion, stated as Remyfactual.
To my recollection, I have never heard a player say I slept in meetings or bolted on the team, other than Briggs, let alone, "all the time dude"

Edit: One other. There was the Dez Bryant walk out with 30 seconds left, but people think he is a warrior.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Who else did you think would? Maybe Pace the GM?

My point is that you guys are going on and on as if Fox and Fangio would never consider bringing Briggs back because he is just so atrocious despite not having anything to back that up besides your own opinion.

Statements like the below give the impression that you somehow know what Fox and Fangio are thinking when all you are doing is simply speculating.

Brigg's isn't under contract. Cutler is. I'm sure Fox will set the tone for the team and own the locker room which has been lost for some time under Trestman. But, they won't be bringing in Brigg's.

jc456

Liked Posts:
My point is that you guys are going on and on as if Fox and Fangio would never consider bringing Briggs back because he is just so atrocious despite not having anything to back that up besides your own opinion.

Statements like the below give the impression that you somehow know what Fox and Fangio are thinking when all you are doing is simply speculating.

and you're going on and on like they would. What the hell is the difference?

BTW, I'm assuming the new coaching staff is bright, and there is no win situation in doing it. statistically speaking it brings them nothing.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As you would say, please research and cite examples. Or is this just a Remypinion, stated as Remyfactual.
To my recollection, I have never heard a player say I slept in meetings or bolted on the team, other than Briggs, let alone, "all the time dude"

Edit: One other. There was the Dez Bryant walk out with 30 seconds left, but people think he is a warrior.

I already gave examples to Fatbabies. Corey Dillion, LeGarrette Blount, and Randy Moss were all said to have quit on their teams and they all ended up playing well under Bellichek.

And I have never seen someone who did all the things you note and still end up playing better than just about every defender on the the team. The only players that graded out higher than Briggs are Ratliff and Paea. Again, what does that say about the rest of the team that a supposedly fat, slow, and quitter Briggs still outperformed damn near everyone on the D?

Again don't know if PFF is right or full or shit. I just know I trust their independent view more than I do Bears fans with no clue. Again, I will see what Fox and Fangio have to say on the matter.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Objective source? There is only one objective way of evaluating a linebacker played. Tackles: 24/10-worst (total and average), sacks-0 worst, passes defended-3 worst, interceptions-1, games played-8 worst.

What do you have to objectively support it wasn't his worst year and a poor year by LB standards?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
and you're going on and on like they would. What the hell is the difference?

BTW, I'm assuming the new coaching staff is bright, and there is no win situation in doing it. statistically speaking it brings them nothing.

No actually I am not. I am making no statement as to whether Fox or Fangio sign or no sign Briggs. I am saying your claim that it's a forgone conclusion is premature. I have consistently said, I will let them decide because I can see conflicting information out there regarding his actual performance which means I am in no real position to conclude one way or the other.

So no, I don't know what Fox and Fangio are going to do. However, I don't think you have a clue either despite all you statements to the contrary.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I already gave examples to Fatbabies. Corey Dillion, LeGarrette Blount, and Randy Moss were all said to have quit on their teams and they all ended up playing well under Bellichek.

And I have never seen someone who did all the things you note and still end up playing better than just about every defender on the the team. The only players that graded out higher than Briggs are Ratliff and Paea. Again, what does that say about the rest of the team that a supposedly fat, slow, and quitter Briggs still outperformed damn near everyone on the D?

Again don't know if PFF is right or full or shit. I just know I trust their independent view more than I do Bears fans with no clue. Again, I will see what Fox and Fangio have to say on the matter.
So your all the time is three guys you say quit. You ask for objective rebuttals to your opinion and PFF opinions, as if anything you say has been spoken into truth unless factually refuted. You are one funny egotistical whack.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Objective source? There is only one objective way of evaluating a linebacker played. Tackles: 24/10-worst (total and average), sacks-0 worst, passes defended-3 worst, interceptions-1, games played-8 worst.

What do you have to objectively support it wasn't his worst year and a poor year by LB standards?

Lol, so you think when scouts and coaches evaluate LBs those are the only things they look at? Your argument makes little sense. You and I both know that traditional stats are not the only way players are evaluated. Hell NFL teams even differ on how they record tackles. I am pretty sure John Fox and Vic Fangio will look at the tape and make an evaluation.

And I already told you my support. He graded out as the 3rd best defender on the Bears this year and by far the best LB. It's objective because the people that made that determination have no affiliation to anyone here currently discussing Briggs. Doesn't mean they are right but that is the context that the term objective is used in.