2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Honest question, do you foresee him playing for a vet min. contract? I think that would be met with a Urlacher like sense of insult.

Just because urlacher was a dumbass who did not take the ONLY offer he got, does not mean that Briggs will do the same. He was basically begging for a job with his statements. Urlacher would have never made those statements. You also can't say you checked out in meetings and shit and expect a nice healthy contract offer. He knows what is coming.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do you have another example of a player who quit on a coach - two seasons in a row - and made it as publicly knows as Lance Briggs did?

And it's 'largely' irrelevant, but not entirely irrelevant. Coaches get fired all the time. Every year in the NFL, 5 or 6 coaches will get fired. More DC and OC will change. NFL players have to get used to dealing with coaching staff changes. Most do it with grace, or like real growns up in any profession, grin and bear it.

That's on tape.

Have you seen a coach lose the locker room as swiftly and completely as Marc Trestman did? You act like the problem was the coaching change in general rather than the actual coach in particular. Briggs seems fine with Fox. I see no evidence he had a problem with a coaching change. I see evidence he had a problem with Marc Trestman. Given how things ended up, I would say he was correct in his assessment about Trestman and his staff. The dude ended up being a joke of a head coach.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
If he shows up in shape, with the right attitude then the Bears have a player that has experience and can help while a young guy is not thrown to the wolves to learn. If he doesn't, then they cut bait during training camp and go in a different direction.

Experience is one thing.

Being 35 years old is another.

No other team in the NFL puts day one 35 year old LB starters on the field.

Why should the Bears?

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
I already gave examples to Fatbabies. Corey Dillion, LeGarrette Blount, and Randy Moss were all said to have quit on their teams and they all ended up playing well under Bellichek.

And I have never seen someone who did all the things you note and still end up playing better than just about every defender on the the team. The only players that graded out higher than Briggs are Ratliff and Paea. Again, what does that say about the rest of the team that a supposedly fat, slow, and quitter Briggs still outperformed damn near everyone on the D?

Again don't know if PFF is right or full or shit. I just know I trust their independent view more than I do Bears fans with no clue. Again, I will see what Fox and Fangio have to say on the matter.

The eye test alone will tell you that PFF is full of shit.

Look at their 'how far away from the SuperBowl' thing for evidence of that.

I don't recall anything about Correy Dillon. As for Moss, you are talking about one of the best ever and if you are talking about his time in Oakland, he was 28 years old when he was there. LeGarrette Blount is 28 years old as well. Translation: both had/have a ton of football left. Neither were coming off of back to back season ending injuries.

You sure like your apples to oranges comparisons, don't you?

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
"In my opinion, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to (bring Briggs back to the Bears)," Briggs said on Monday's edition of SportsTalk Live. "Obviously, in the Draft, that's probably going to be one of the focal points is getting a linebacker, (but) a guy who's been around, a guy who understands football, who's a great football player and can play at a high level still, to me, is enticing. A guy like John Fox — love the hire — and hopefully I get a call and I get an opportunity to come back and play in Chicago, where I'm supposed to be."

I personally hope Briggs gets his wish. I know many here don't like him. I still believe the problem was the management.

Bring him back Fox!

For over a decade, this team has been built upon too old...it was the NFL's oldest roster in 2014.

Briggs is not worth a roster spot.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Justin Smith has mostly been a 3-4 DE not a 4-3 DT. Justin Smith was 15th in snaps for 3-4 DEs and he had 715 snaps. The 4-3 OLB (Sio Moore) who was 15th in snaps played 729 snaps. Furthermore, since teams pass so much many LBs end up being taken out on passing downs hence why Justin Smith's snaps were comparable to Sio Moore's. No one is suggesting Briggs for Nickel or Dime so the reality is he is likely to play just as many snaps as Justin Smith or Vince Wilfork if healthy.

And you have no idea what role Briggs will play in a Fangio D so to claim his role will need speed and quickness is just speculation. An ILB on a 3-4 is not necessarily relying on speed and quickness and Briggs would most certainly play ILB in a 3-4 and not OLB. So again, you are making claims without knowing all the facts.

Is it a hard concept to grasp that maybe Fox and Fangio will review the tape, talk to Briggs, and then decided whether he fits whatever the new scheme is. Again, my only contention is you are passing off your speculation as facts when they aren't.

You are aware that Lance Briggs is not a defensive lineman right?

But please, tell me about the other teams in the NFL - especially the successful ones - that will trot out 35 year old linebackers next season as their day one starters.

I'll be waiting.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Please provide links to any number of scientific studies you are basing your opinion on. These should easily be available as you are stating you are using these as basis for your opinion, not merely googling them after the fact to prop up your baseless opinion.

http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/27204_7.pdf

That is a pretty comprehensive discussion on leadership and organizational performance complete with various references to other books and studies on the matter.

Of course, you and I both know that leadership affects performance but I will humor you in your attempt to be obtuse.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Sorry, even during rebuilding I like my teams to field the best team possible and still try to win as many games as possible. I suppose you were one of the many on year this past season wishing that the Bears would have lost out to get a better draft pick. smh

I did.

If it means the Bears are closer to a SB, then yes, lose out.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I did.

If it means the Bears are closer to a SB, then yes, lose out.

don't be a fan please. Nothing worse than people who hope their team loses. That answer explains it all. smh I want the Bears to win every damn week.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The eye test alone will tell you that PFF is full of shit.

Look at their 'how far away from the SuperBowl' thing for evidence of that.

I don't recall anything about Correy Dillon. As for Moss, you are talking about one of the best ever and if you are talking about his time in Oakland, he was 28 years old when he was there. LeGarrette Blount is 28 years old as well. Translation: both had/have a ton of football left. Neither were coming off of back to back season ending injuries.

You sure like your apples to oranges comparisons, don't you?

Lol, you keep changing the goalposts. First you asked about aging players. Then when I name some you say they aren't LBs, they are DTs. Then when I name a LB, you say but he already knew the system. Then when you ask about players who alllegedly quit, it's that they werent't that old. It's laughable.

I mean by the time we finish with you adding new conditions it will be something like name me a 35 year old LB with 2 years of season ending injuries, who opened a BBQ restaurants in the off-season who crashed a lambo before who quit on their team besides Lance Briggs?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
what difference does that make? he's injured = he sucks? I'm talking about when he was on the field

I matters because he was being paid like an all-star gets paid but played like an over-the-hill journeyman.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You are aware that Lance Briggs is not a defensive lineman right?

But please, tell me about the other teams in the NFL - especially the successful ones - that will trot out 35 year old linebackers next season as their day one starters.

I'll be waiting.

James Harrison started at 35 and 36 for the Bengals and Steelers respectively. As far as I am aware having never played for Marvin Lewis, he did not know the Bengals system when Marvin Lewis decided he was good enough to start. As I recall, Ray Lewis won a Super Bowl as a starting LB on the Ravens in 2012 when he was 35 or older.

But hey, let's add a new condition to your question so you can claim it's not apples vs apples. Again, your argument is just dumb. There are always examples of teams using an older vet on a team and still being successful. What matters is whether they are good and not their age.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/27204_7.pdf

That is a pretty comprehensive discussion on leadership and organizational performance complete with various references to other books and studies on the matter.

Of course, you and I both know that leadership affects performance but I will humor you in your attempt to be obtuse.
An hour later, no "any number of scientific studies " on quitting when the going gets tough, just some vague tangential leadership discussion.
Figured.

Last edited:

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Briggs could be a good thing for a year depending on scheme, but you don't guarantee anything imo. Briggs can have a good attitude or a bad one. 35 is nearing the limit for a LBer, but if he wants to be in shape and compete, I'm fine. I'd like Tillman back, but the triceps thing is puzzling. I'd probably give him a bonus, but you really need to do a thorough physical. These guys don't need to start necessarily.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
An hour later, no "any number of scientific studies " on quitting when the going gets tough, just some vague tangential leadership discussion.
Figured.

Quitting on the team is simply another way of saying poor performance since Lance didn't actually quit and was actually out there playing. He just played poorly according to some of you.

So not sure how you can't make the connection to a discussion on Leadership and the effect on performance which cites various studies and books on the matter. The quitting when the going gets tough was in reference to this earlier post I made in response to you.

And yet players quit on bad coaches all the time so being driven doesn't change the fact that when you have a shitty boss, your performance can and does often suffer. It happens in sports all the time dude.be.

I said the above in post 188. You quoted that statement in post 232 and then in post 233 is when I made reference to the studies on the matter. Anyone following along should be able to understand the going gets rough was in reference to having a shitty boss because that is what I originally referred to and that is what you quoted me saying when I responded.

Madden

Liked Posts:
Again, he did not check out after Lovie was fired. He played very well before his injury in 2013. smh People need to actually remember things correctly instead of throwing blanket statements out there to support your argument.

He must have checked out of his strength and conditioning program too.

9 years under Lovie = 4 games missed due to injury

2 years without Lovie = 15 games missed due to injury

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Quitting on the team is simply another way of saying poor performance since Lance didn't actually quit and was actually out there playing. He just played poorly according to some of you.

So not sure how you can't make the connection to a discussion on Leadership and the effect on performance which cites various studies and books on the matter. Just shows how disingenuous your argument is.
What do you call staring at a clock and admittedly not listening during meetings? You have made contradictory statements, referred to fans opinion as proof of your opinion, and cited "scientific studies" you have never seen and can't produce. Basically, been the same old Remy. You never disappoint.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
One thing i will say is we ned to get someone who will actually b able to replace briggs before just moving on from him but his clock is ticking very fast

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What do you call staring at a clock and admittedly not listening during meetings? You have made contradictory statements, referred to fans opinion as proof of your opinion, and cited "scientific studies" you have never seen and can't produce. Basically, been the same old Remy. You never disappoint.

I call it not paying attention to people that can't teach him anything about the game. As long as he produces in the game then what he does in meetings is irrelevant.

And I am not citing anything as proof. I am citing information that contradicts you guys claims of proof. I have made no definitive statement one way or the other on the matter but simply stated your opinions on the matter are not factual and there exists other evidence to suggest those opinions are incorrect.

And the various studies have been cited in the link I provided which is more than what any of you guys have provided. I have never seen the actual study that proves the world is round or that the earth is 5 billion years old but I know those studies exist based on other information I have read on the matter that say they do. Again you are being obtuse. The link is to a chapter from a textbook that cites various other books and studies on the topic. Last I checked, that is how most students acquire their knowledge ie via reading a textbook. Are you suggesting the textbook is lying to me about these studies existing?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Anywho, I will leave it at this. If Fox and Fangio say Briggs quit on the field not in meetings and they don't retain him, I will be fine. If they say he doesn't fit what they want to do, I will be fine. If they say Briggs can be a good player for them and resign him, I will be fine.

I don't have enough information one way or the other to make any grand declarations like some of you here that Lance does or doesn't belong on this team going forward and any fan who claims they do is talking out of their ass IMO.