Buff Extension... and Seabrook Extension

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
So, what do you think? Personally, I think it helps. If ATLANTA was able to lock Buf up at 5 years @ 26 mil, Seabrook should be willing to sign for that or less here in Chicago. That is, if it's true that he wants to stay here... I'm kind of worried that he still hasn't signed an extension, to be honest. I guess there's a lot of time left, but I don't see the Hawks getting burned on an offer sheet again like they did with Hammer. I'll be relieved if we can get him locked up by the time the TDL rolls around. Just seems strange that it hasn't been done yet.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They could get burned in arbitration, right?

R K

Although I'm not sure he's eligable I suppose they could go over 5 mil. Not sure they would. Not sure it would get that far either.

I don't know if I'm Seabrook what I do. I'd sure think about a discount to stay but you have Campbell making 7 mil and now Buff at 5.2. Seabrook would definitely be in the middle some where wouldn't he?

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Although I'm not sure he's eligable I suppose they could go over 5 mil. Not sure they would. Not sure it would get that far either.

I don't know if I'm Seabrook what I do. I'd sure think about a discount to stay but you have Campbell making 7 mil and now Buff at 5.2. Seabrook would definitely be in the middle some where wouldn't he?

I would imagine that is Stan Bowman's biggest fear.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:

If that's how he and his agent feel, I fear he won't be here next season. The Hawks cannot afford to pay him anything near 6M per season, and I honestly don't think he's worth it. Yeah, without him we lose pretty much all of our physicality, but you have to look at what that cap space can buy you. If Seabrook wants that much money, I say you let him walk, and offer sheet Shea Weber with something that Nashville can't match.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
Here comes my opinion and stupid thoughts.

The Hawks are in no hurry to sign him as they are in the catbird seat. They don't have to sign him right now, or during the season anyway. He is an RFA, and offer sheet eligible. Is Seabs worth 5+ mill? I think so. Kieth is locked up for 12 more years at an average of a little over 5 mill. Keep in mind he is getting 8 or close to it this year.

Seabs doesn't have the goals/points that Buff has. I am not sure Buff can keep that pace either, year in year out. Time will tell. Seabs brings a good hard-nosed style to the ice, has some decent vision, and is I believe a vital cog in the core. He can score, and does. Last year I called him Mr. OT because it seemed like whenever we went to extra time, he scored.

With his RFA status, he could receive an offer sheet. It would have to be at least 5 million or more for him to even look at it. Assuming that he signs an offer sheet for that amount or more, the Hawks would get a shit ton of pics.

WITH ALL THAT SAID, AIN'T NO GM GONNA DO THAT. It would destroy that teams future for a long time to come.

I am not worried about it at all. I believe he wants to stay here, he wants to play here. He does have some deficiencies, like all players do, and Duncs bails him out as much as he bails Duncs out. If he left, unless the team he went to had a Duncan, Seabs would be exposed big time.

Again, my opinions. I am not in negotiations so I couldn't tell you anything.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
With his RFA status, he could receive an offer sheet. It would have to be at least 5 million or more for him to even look at it. Assuming that he signs an offer sheet for that amount or more, the Hawks would get a shit ton of pics.

WITH ALL THAT SAID, AIN'T NO GM GONNA DO THAT. It would destroy that teams future for a long time to come.

Really? If you're Vancouver, you don't think TWICE about sending Seabrook an offer sheet for anything up to around six mil per season. Compensation for an offer sheet of 5-6 mil per season nets the Hawks a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft pick. That is basically a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, given Vancouver's record this season. Keep in mind that Philly just traded a 1st and a 3rd to Toronto for VERSTEEG. You wouldn't give up those three draft picks to grab Seabrook? Come on. Vancouver also has a ton of money coming off the books too. There aren't that many defensemen out there this offseason either. If Seabs is going to hardball the Hawks and ask for more than 5 mil per, I really think you trade his rights and go after Weber and see if you can nab him from Nashville.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Buff could be nominated for the Norris. Keith won the Norris... I'd be surprised if Seabrook makes more than either of them.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Really? If you're Vancouver, you don't think TWICE about sending Seabrook an offer sheet for anything up to around six mil per season. Compensation for an offer sheet of 5-6 mil per season nets the Hawks a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft pick. That is basically a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, given Vancouver's record this season. Keep in mind that Philly just traded a 1st and a 3rd to Toronto for VERSTEEG. You wouldn't give up those three draft picks to grab Seabrook? Come on. Vancouver also has a ton of money coming off the books this too. There aren't that many defensemen out there this offseason either. If Seabs is going to hardball the Hawks and ask for more than 5 mil per, I really think you trade his rights and go after Weber and see if you can nab him from Nashville.

I think Weber is probably one of the top defenseman in the world right now, if not the very best. I'd consider that option but also, if Vancouver were to send him an offer sheet in the $5M-$6M range then the Hawks match it -- simple as that.

Any higher than $6.2M and they have to give up two 1st round picks, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From the CBA

12.1 Eligibility for Player or Club Election of Salary Arbitration.

(a) A Player is eligible for salary arbitration if the Player meets the

qualifications set forth in the following chart and in Section 12.1(
<
below:

First SPC Signing Age, Minimum Level of Professional Experience Required to be

Eligible for Salary Arbitration.

18-20 4 years professional experience

21 3 years professional experience

22-23 2 years professional experience

24 and older 1 year professional experience

Seabrook signed his first contract at age 20 in 2005. He is arbitration eligible.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
I think Weber is probably one of the top defenseman in the world right now, if not the very best. I'd consider that option but also, if Vancouver were to send him an offer sheet in the $5M-$6M range then the Hawks match it -- simple as that.

Any higher than $6.2M and they have to give up two 1st round picks, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

Seabrook is NOT worth 6M per. He just isn't. If the Hawks let this contract extension drag out that far, and end up paying Seabrook that much money, they're just fucking themselves. HARD. You cannot tie up that much money in the defense. We will be right back where we were this season, as far as missing pieces is concerned. Pretty much all of the cap relief we would be getting back next season, would be gone, with no money left for upgrades.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
From the CBA

12.1 Eligibility for Player or Club Election of Salary Arbitration.

(a) A Player is eligible for salary arbitration if the Player meets the

qualifications set forth in the following chart and in Section 12.1(
<
below:

First SPC Signing Age, Minimum Level of Professional Experience Required to be

Eligible for Salary Arbitration.

18-20 4 years professional experience

21 3 years professional experience

22-23 2 years professional experience

24 and older 1 year professional experience

Seabrook signed his first contract at age 20 in 2005. He is arbitration eligible.

So is that what happened with Niemi?

We declined the arbitration award?

That sounds like the worse case scenario.

R K

If that's how he and his agent feel, I fear he won't be here next season. The Hawks cannot afford to pay him anything near 6M per season, and I honestly don't think he's worth it. Yeah, without him we lose pretty much all of our physicality, but you have to look at what that cap space can buy you. If Seabrook wants that much money, I say you let him walk, and offer sheet Shea Weber with something that Nashville can't match.

LOL..... He's the face of their franchise. That's like say, Toews leaving. Weber is not leaving, nor can we offer enough to keep him here. If you don't thing Weber is going to get Seabrook type money you are crazy.

I don't fear he won't be here next year. Hawk will give him a contract similar to Keith.

R K

Seabrook is NOT worth 6M per. He just isn't. If the Hawks let this contract extension drag out that far, and end up paying Seabrook that much money, they're just fucking themselves. HARD. You cannot tie up that much money in the defense. We will be right back where we were this season, as far as missing pieces is concerned. Pretty much all of the cap relief we would be getting back next season, would be gone, with no money left for upgrades.

Yea and Buff isn't worth 5.2, nor is Campbell worth 7.... It is what it is.

Not to mention who knows how much the Cap is going up.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Yea and Buff isn't worth 5.2, nor is Campbell worth 7.... It is what it is.

Not to mention who knows how much the Cap is going up.

Have to draw the line somewhere. You can't just keep overpaying guys.

R K

Have to draw the line somewhere. You can't just keep overpaying guys.

LOL! Sure you can. Then you have to trade half your team the year after you win the Stanley Cup. Then have fans wondering just why they might not make the playoffs.
<

It's a cycle.

Never know how many years they give Seabrook and front of back load the contract.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Detroit never seems to have that problem.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Just fucking make the playoffs. Contract discussions can wait until then.

But in reality Seabs is not work 6 mill as much as I love the guy he just isn't. Campbells contract will hold no weight with the contract negotiations other than continuing to cock blocking the team as far as cap space goes. Seabs agent isn't going to look at Campbells contract and cry bloody murder and demand close figures to that. There are more variables at play with Seabrook than just the money side. HOWEVER someone needs to tell Seabs to get married and start a family within the next few months and to get his kids enrolled in schools etc etc etc. Harder to pick up and move when you have a family lol.

I trust Seabs will sign here and like RK said the key is the front of back loaded contracts like they are in the "new" NHL.

Fucking salary cap can still bite me. Fuck parody. Still hate the cap.