Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
"Senior Advisor" sounds like a lot like "professor emeritus." Sure, he's probably been moved out the way, but my point has always been that he's never going to be considered "fired."
Paxson is still gonna have input. PAX is good at drafting players, Gar's picks and movements was all trash.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
As a general rule, I don't like to advocate or celebrate anyone's firing, but what is the point of retaining John Paxson? Unless this is truly a token position existing only for Paxson to save face, then it's hard to believe he won't exhibit at least some influence over the Reinsdorfs (and by extension the organization).
Pax is good at draft mostly. 22 years these guys been around and bulls fans still cant figure it out?

the problem is.. if bulls cut ties with paxson other teams would jump on Paxson immediately. Pax can built a team and knows the bulls Org inside out..you don't want that to happen. simple. M.R. giving Pax the advisor is the best thing to do, Pax is somebody M.R trusts.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Paxson is still gonna have input. PAX is good at drafting players, Gar's picks and movements was all trash.

Come on man, Gar was an excellent scout. He clearly was the better one to keep over Paxson. I would think that maybe they offered him the scout job and he said no.
Gar was nothing but the pen and paper guy for Paxson. He did what he was told. His balls dropped two years ago when he made it clear that some moves were all Pax and that split the Garpax forever. It was always Paxmon, it was just too arcade game to use.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Pax is good at draft mostly. 22 years these guys been around and bulls fans still cant figure it out?

the problem is.. if bulls cut ties with paxson other teams would jump on Paxson immediately. Pax can built a team and knows the bulls Org inside out..you don't want that to happen. simple. M.R. giving Pax the advisor is the best thing to do, Pax is somebody M.R trusts.
This is nuts. Who the hell wants to run their team like the dismal bulls have? What did he build here? Pined for not 1 but 2 Iowa State coaches who were well over their ski's in the NBA. I believe you are sadly mistaken if you ever thought that Gar Forman made any real roster decision. He was a Mickey Loomis / Ryan Pace in New Orleans, the paper pusher period.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Paxson has a hard time determining what players will grow up out of their ego headcase adolescence. Which is why he played it too safe and picked a lot of uncle toms. Then when the fun players were free agents, they all were like, fuck this shit. I mean, how many fun players have we had? So many uptight, hardworking types that run into walls. The Joakims are the exception to the rule.

If Nate Robinson wasn't trying to prove his knees were recovered, do you think he's signing here? And after he does and fans grow to love him, he bolts. Fuck this shit.

Paxson's drafting is over-rated. Guys that eventually put up, because the team doesn't offer a lot of resistance to filling stat sheets. For every Jimmy Butler, there was a Doug McDermott.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Paxson/Gar Forman's drafting record:
2003: Kirk Hinrich (7th), Mario Austin (36th), Matt Bonner (45-Traded), Tommy Smith (53rd)
2004: Ben Gordon (3rd), Traded 2005 1st for Luol Deng (7th), Jackson Vroman (31st-Traded), Chris Duhon (38th)
2005: No Picks
2006: LaMarcus Aldridge (2nd-Traded for Tyrus Thomas (4th)), Rodney Carney (16th-Traded for Thabo Sefolosha (13th))
2007: Joakim Noah (9th), Aaron Gray (49th), JamesOn Curry (51st)
2008: Derrick Rose (1st), Sonny Weems (39th-Traded)
2009: James Johnson (16th), Taj Gibson (26th)
2010: Kevin Seraphin (17th-Traded)
2011: Norris Cole (28th-Traded for Niko), Jimmy Butler (30th), Malcolm Lee (43rd-Traded)
2012: Marquis Teague (28th)
2013: Tony Snell (20th), Erik Murphy (49th)
2014: Jusuf Nurkic (16th), Gary Harris (19th) [Both traded for Doug McDermott (11th)], Cameron Bairstow (49th)
2015: Bobby Portis (22nd)
2016: Denzel Valentine (14th), Paul Zipser (48th)
2017: Justin Patton (16th-Traded in Jimmy Butler Trade), Jordan Bell (38th-Traded)
*Acquired Lauri Markkenan (7th) in Jimmy Butler trade
2018: Wendall Carter (7th), Chandler Hutchinson (22nd)
2019: Coby White (7th), Daniel Gafford (38th)

All Stars: Luol Deng (2012, 2013), Joakim Noah (2013, 2014), Derrick Rose (2010, 2011, 2012), Jimmy Butler (2015, 2016, 2017)

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Paxson/Gar Forman's drafting record:
2003: Kirk Hinrich (7th), Mario Austin (36th), Matt Bonner (45-Traded), Tommy Smith (53rd)
2004: Ben Gordon (3rd), Traded 2005 1st for Luol Deng (7th), Jackson Vroman (31st-Traded), Chris Duhon (38th)
2005: No Picks
2006: LaMarcus Aldridge (2nd-Traded for Tyrus Thomas (4th)), Rodney Carney (16th-Traded for Thabo Sefolosha (13th))
2007: Joakim Noah (9th), Aaron Gray (49th), JamesOn Curry (51st)
2008: Derrick Rose (1st), Sonny Weems (39th-Traded)
2009: James Johnson (16th), Taj Gibson (26th)
2010: Kevin Seraphin (17th-Traded)
2011: Norris Cole (28th-Traded for Niko), Jimmy Butler (30th), Malcolm Lee (43rd-Traded)
2012: Marquis Teague (28th)
2013: Tony Snell (20th), Erik Murphy (49th)
2014: Jusuf Nurkic (16th), Gary Harris (19th) [Both traded for Doug McDermott (11th)], Cameron Bairstow (49th)
2015: Bobby Portis (22nd)
2016: Denzel Valentine (14th), Paul Zipser (48th)
2017: Justin Patton (16th-Traded in Jimmy Butler Trade), Jordan Bell (38th-Traded)
*Acquired Lauri Markkenan (7th) in Jimmy Butler trade
2018: Wendall Carter (7th), Chandler Hutchinson (22nd)
2019: Coby White (7th), Daniel Gafford (38th)

All Stars: Luol Deng (2012, 2013), Joakim Noah (2013, 2014), Derrick Rose (2010, 2011, 2012), Jimmy Butler (2015, 2016, 2017)

it’s a pretty good track record. Some people just won’t let go of the fact they traded away Aldridge or the Doug McDermott trade. Even though, at the time doug looked to potentially be the shooter they needed and didn’t have at the time

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Remember when The Hawk thought Niko was going to be the next Dirk?
it’s a pretty good track record. Some people just won’t let go of the fact they traded away Aldridge or the Doug McDermott trade. Even though, at the time doug looked to potentially be the shooter they needed and didn’t have at the time
People also forget that DRose was an advocate of them drafting Doug.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Drafting was their only good quality (and I don't know who is more responsible, Pax or Gar).. And I say it was a good quality, not great.

The rest of it was all pretty bad. Trades, FA signings, treatment of personnel.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Remember when The Hawk thought Niko was going to be the next Dirk?

People also forget that DRose was an advocate of them drafting Doug.

to be fair...I don’t think he was the only one that thought that about niko. Many on this message board get a little too excited over small samples of great play

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
to be fair...I don’t think he was the only one that thought that about niko. Many on this message board get a little too excited over small samples of great play
The Hawk was probably the most egregious about the Niko stuff. When I suggested that Niko wouldn't even been a busboy at Dirk's dinner table he was unhappy with me for the rest of his time here.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The Hawk was probably the most egregious about the Niko stuff. When I suggested that Niko wouldn't even been a busboy at Dirk's dinner table he was unhappy with me for the rest of his time here.

I thought niko had potential...but yeah, thinking he would be the next dirk is a bit much. I was thinking more along the lines of the potential to be 6th man of the year. Never happened obviously, though

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I thought niko had potential...but yeah, thinking he would be the next dirk is a bit much. I was thinking more along the lines of the potential to be 6th man of the year. Never happened obviously, though
I agree with that. Niko wasn't bad, he was just never the difference maker anyone thought he was. Just an incredibly streaky shooter, and frankly someone that disappeared against good competition. Personally, I really wanted him to be that Stretch-4 that could have been the next Dirk (though I'm guessing there will never be another stretch-4 that will put up the volume of numbers Dirk did), it just wasn't meant to be for some reason.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I agree with that. Niko wasn't bad, he was just never the difference maker anyone thought he was. Just an incredibly streaky shooter, and frankly someone that disappeared against good competition. Personally, I really wanted him to be that Stretch-4 that could have been the next Dirk (though I'm guessing there will never be another stretch-4 that will put up the volume of numbers Dirk did), it just wasn't meant to be for some reason.

agreed. I remember 3-4 years ago, whenever Portis was a rookie...people on here thought he was some future all star from scoring bursts occasionally. That one never came close to fruition. If niko is a busboy at dirks table...Portis was the homeless guy that niko gave dirks leftovers to after work

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
agreed. I remember 3-4 years ago, whenever Portis was a rookie...people on here thought he was some future all star from scoring bursts occasionally. That one never came close to fruition. If niko is a busboy at dirks table...Portis was the homeless guy that niko gave dirks leftovers to after work
I don't think Portis was every really used correctly. He was better in short spurts. The energy guy off the bench who would give you 18-22 minutes of great effort. It kind of gets me to the larger point about the current roster, and I'm guessing I'm one of the few people that thinks the roster actually has a good amount of talent, but that it's filled with a lot square pegs. And while the majority of the blame should be placed on the management that drafted the team, it doesn't help that Boylen is seemingly the least imaginative HC in the Association.

Unfortunately, I think Boylen might be around for a bit depending on what they do with the season.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I don't think Portis was every really used correctly. He was better in short spurts. The energy guy off the bench who would give you 18-22 minutes of great effort. It kind of gets me to the larger point about the current roster, and I'm guessing I'm one of the few people that thinks the roster actually has a good amount of talent, but that it's filled with a lot square pegs. And while the majority of the blame should be placed on the management that drafted the team, it doesn't help that Boylen is seemingly the least imaginative HC in the Association.

Unfortunately, I think Boylen might be around for a bit depending on what they do with the season.

yeah, an 8th man off the bench role could work for Portis. Problem was the team was trash and they HAD to play him big minutes.

i actually completely agree with you on the level of talent on the roster, it’s not as bad as many think. Just need to have defined roles and a better roster balance overall. Ideally, a front court of carter, lauri, and Otto should be a nice complement...but they are never all healthy to know for sure. Carter and lauri should be able to play off eachother well. I do worry about lauri’s mental makeup a bit, whether justified or not.

Boylen I am hoping is gone once the new Gm is hired and wants to bring in his own coach...I hope.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Boylen I am hoping is gone once the new Gm is hired and wants to bring in his own coach...I hope.
He's not long for this Earth, but I'm guessing they want to build up the FO first, and then work the way down to HC. That said: it's not crazy to think he'll be around for another year.